• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about IV meth

jasper kent

Bluelighter
I've been a multiple drug user for many years but have only been doing meth regularly for a little over a year now. I enjoy smoking it (mostly the ritual) but find that it's wasteful. I usually plug it, which is very satisfying. When I get some particularly clean stuff (ice?) I sometimes IV it.

Here's my question:
With most IV drugs, I get a big rush followed by a short to moderate plateau and then a rapid comedown. With meth, the rush is good but not as intense as I'd expect. After the shot, I continue to get higher for 30 to 45 minutes. Sometimes I think "Jeezus! I'm glad I didn't do more!" (I never shoot more than 1/16 gram in one dose, usually less)...then I enjoy a plateau for 3 to 6 hours followed by a gradual comedown.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm NOT complaining. I appreciate a long-lasting high over a quickie rush any time. I guess I just don't understand the physiology of IV meth, and I'm curious about it.

What's up?

I noticed that too, that the time to peak effects with IV is not as fast as one might expect from IV, which can make dosing tricky as you don't feel the full effects right away. Not all drugs provide a rapid time to peak effects when injected. Following IV injection of meth, the duration of effects and the mean elimination half-life are slightly longer than they are for other routes of administration. Methamphetamine is partly metabolized to amphetamine. Peak blood methamphetamine concentrations normally occur shortly after injection, but perhaps peak amphetamine levels take longer to occur as it would need to be metabolized first? (This could also vary from person to person of course). Just a hypothesis :)

I've been a multiple drug user for many years but have only been doing meth regularly for a little over a year now. I enjoy smoking it (mostly the ritual) but find that it's wasteful. I usually plug it, which is very satisfying. When I get some particularly clean stuff (ice?) I sometimes IV it.

Here's my question:
With most IV drugs, I get a big rush followed by a short to moderate plateau and then a rapid comedown. With meth, the rush is good but not as intense as I'd expect. After the shot, I continue to get higher for 30 to 45 minutes. Sometimes I think "Jeezus! I'm glad I didn't do more!" (I never shoot more than 1/16 gram in one dose, usually less)...then I enjoy a plateau for 3 to 6 hours followed by a gradual comedown.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm NOT complaining. I appreciate a long-lasting high over a quickie rush any time. I guess I just don't understand the physiology of IV meth, and I'm curious about it.

What's up?

30 to 45 huh, wow. For me its more like 5 minutes. I rush then the high kicks in. But from your dose it sounds like your tolerance is pretty low. Which may have something to do with it. Right now my standard is 1/4 gram and if I want a sick one I'll do 1/3 of a g.

i've always peaked well within the 30secs of injecting of meth but the "rushing" (similar to that of mdma rushing once i've peaked) continues on for up to and over an hour, sometimes borderlining two hours, before i've reached plateau and am left wired and riding the rest of it out.

this was using the same amount as the OP - between 1.5-2 points of gear.

I think the rush from I.V'ing meth is very little and therefore much prefer smoking meth, its one of the few drugs that i dont enjoy IV'ing because even with the best shit there is not much of a rush and the high hits you after 5 minutes so smoking is more effective IMO.

The fact that everyone is reporting different results for time til peak effects with IV meth seems to support my theory that it is something to do with metabolism.

I don't know why, but smoking ice seems to make it go further....
i prefer shooting it over smoking it, but I think snorting provides the best high.
And, I normally prefer IVing everything. It's quick and easy.
I usually get the rush, which lasts a good solid 30-45 seconds....that wears off and I keep going up for a few hours...
depending on how good it is, I've been high 16-18 hrs from a single shot.
I don't like the ruch of shooting meth too much though, it's weird and tingly....

I haven;t used meth more than a few times but when i had someone inject me i was rushing for an hour making it difficult to move, but it was very potent pink meth

The fact that everyone is reporting different results for time til peak effects with IV meth seems to support my theory that it is something to do with metabolism.

might likely so. also might be related as to where the injection is performed. i feel it almost instantly in the crook of my arm but get a slight onset delay when i use my forearm, as i do with morphine. it's only a marginal difference of 10-15 seconds though, still the same intensity and everything.

might likely so. also might be related as to where the injection is performed. i feel it almost instantly in the crook of my arm but get a slight onset delay when i use my forearm, as i do with morphine. it's only a marginal difference of 10-15 seconds though, still the same intensity and everything.

The injection site could explain a marginal delay in onset by a few seconds like you said, but doesn't explain the substantial differences (+/- up to 45 min) people are getting when it comes to the time in takes to reach peak effects. Note that we aren't talking about time to onset - the time it takes until you feel it - but time until the peak - how long from the time you inject it until the effects stop getting stronger. Like when I was injecting meth I noticed that, like jasper, I would feel it quickly but then continue to feel higher and higher for quite some time, often thinking "I'm glad I didn't do more!" Whereas when I was injecting drugs like heroin or cocaine, for example, I would feel the peak of the high very soon after injecting.

This is an HR issue because if you are expecting to be able to feel peak effects really fast when injecting any drug, you may do some more if after 5 minutes you don't feel like you're where you want to be. If the drug you are doing actually takes, say, 30 min to reach peak effects for you, you could end up doing a lot more than you wanted to if you did more after only 5 min.

yeah, i understand what you're saying and pickin' up what you're putting down.

i've sort of experienced that "shit, maybe i have dosed too much" feeling on a couple of instances, though, more so because the peak and subsequent rushing was so intense and the duration rather long. never felt i was any higher after peaking, just because the rushing was so prolonged until hitting the plateau.

to the best of my knowledge i've never redosed any sooner than a couple hours after IVing the initial shot. on the other hand i have shot a great shot, intense as all hell and then started hitting the pipe within 30-45mins afterward. things get pretty intense in that situation if you're twirling half point pipes and downing them within a few huge puffs:D

I think it all just depends on the quality of the dope and how it was cooked. I've had dopes that I did and didn't feel anything until 5 minutes later, even after raising my hand and massaging the spot. Then again I've had dopes that half way through the same dosage, Or even a lesser dosage, immediately blew my mind. My favorite is the in between ;) gets you instantaneously slaughtered comes down verrrry slightly, and then slowly peaks back up. Have you ever shot and gotten the "hot cough"? Or have you ever hit a bump and immediately started midly hallucinating? If not you haven't been truly high on meth lol

^ I definitely had minor hallucinations the last time I shot methamphetamine. I actually thought I might die for a second...I took a shot of really good stuff about 6 hours after my last shot, and I guess I should've waited a little longer or made the amount I shot less. My heart started pounding like a jackhammer, my face started to get sudden brief tics and spasms, and the lighting in my room seemed to suddenly change quite drastically, combined with sudden, intense nausea...I actually thought that I might hurl for a second. Meth is srs business, kids...measure and plan your shots accordingly. :)

Anyway. For me personally, around here, about 2-3 seconds after the plunger is fully pushed in, I'm high. 4-10 seconds in and I've been hit by a dopamine freight train. I don't think I've ever really shot "creeper meth"...maybe I'm just not remembering, though. It's crazy how long IV methamphetamine lasts, though...