• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about going to a doctor about oxy addiction

aaMizer720

Ex-Bluelighter
Let's say I have had an oxy addiction (which I do), but my doctor knows because he supplies me but doesn't know I abuse. BUT let's say my dr didn't know and I go to him and say, "I've had an oxycodone addiction for 7 months, is there anyway you can taper me or give me something so I don't have to CT it", would he? Or is it more likely that he would send me to a detox or something. It's just a general question, not something I'm going to be doing.

it's hard to second-guess what a doc would choose to do (varies a lot from place to place, doc to doc) but i believe it's standard practice for any sort of pain treatment to be discontinued if a patient becomes 'addicted', and tapers tend to be performed with ORT "maintenance:" drugs (such as buprenorphine or methadone).

some people have pretty good success tapering with things like buprenorphine, especially if it's done quickly and fairly drastically (low dose, fast taper).
it's worth considering IMO, as it may help you taper successfully, rather than leaving you to resort to acquiring black market opioids, which are incredibly risky to fool around with, especially with the current fentanyl crisis.

So, we don't typically like to field questions regarding Doctors and their decisions. They are human beings just like us, capable of making a variety of different decisions both good and bad. They are fallible. They will not always do the "right" thing. Sometimes they will care more about saving their own ass. It's their (the medical community at-large) own fault for initiating the Opioid epidemic, but now Doctors hide their prescription pads in a secret annex, Anne Frank style.

Telling your prescriber that you are an addict is a major step. It's irrelevant if it was brief, seven months or seven years, telling your prescriber that you are an addict will permanently alter your relationship with all doctors. You will be earmarked as an addict. This will make acquiring Opioids or Benzodiazepines licitly pretty difficult. If this is what you want, then I would be willing to bet that your prescriber will help you in some way, either with a taper or something else.

Why do you need to tell your prescriber that you're addicted?