• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Question about Antabuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdrianShephard

Greenlighter
Hello guys, I got a question regarding Antabuse half life and also if it's safe to drink...

So, It says it can stay up to 14 days but I only took it for 3 days (sunday, monday and tuesday) in the morning like around 8 am each day 250mg pill.

Could I drink now? 56 hours later.

TY

If you have been on Antabuse it indicates you have a drinking problem and it isn't actually safe for you to drink ever. Maybe try this time being sober instead?

If you are having hard time with your alcohol cravings you could try discussing about it on the recovery support part of our forum:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/268-Recovery-Support

I have to agree. If you're taking antabuse, which is rather rare and nasty, you must have a very serous problem with alcohol and likely you've already damaged you liver, which ironically disulfuram (sp?) isn't going to help.

You could try naltrexone if you need a medical deterrent. But antabuse WORKS. I know, I had a gal I had to beg to try it. She was an intractable alcoholic and was in danger of killing someone with her reckless actions. She did everything possible to not take it. Cheeking tablets, puking them up, anything to avoid the very effective deterrent of Antabuse.

Take the antabuse. Alcohol is a shit drug anyway.

We can't help you get high here, this is an HR forum. Not trying to be a dick. Just the way it is here.

I have to agree. If you're taking antabuse, which is rather rare and nasty, you must have a very serous problem with alcohol and likely you've already damaged you liver, which ironically disulfuram (sp?) isn't going to help.

You could try naltrexone if you need a medical deterrent. But antabuse WORKS. I know, I had a gal I had to beg to try it. She was an intractable alcoholic and was in danger of killing someone with her reckless actions. She did everything possible to not take it. Cheeking tablets, puking them up, anything to avoid the very effective deterrent of Antabuse.

Take the antabuse. Alcohol is a shit drug anyway.

We can't help you get high here, this is an HR forum. Not trying to be a dick. Just the way it is here.
I'm 23 I don't know about my liver but yes, I have a drinking problem and that's why I got the Antabuse prescribed. The medication itself isn't really common here in Peru, where I live. It's not ordered by court. In fact I got it prescribed by my psychiatrist, who also gave me 200mg topiramate daily. I had to buy the Antabuse abroad. Tbh I had taken the Antabuse for two weeks b4 and quit, then drank rum 5 days after. So I decided to take it again this sunday.

I don't think it's a matter of the things I've done or how my actual health is, but perhaps my shrink thinks the antabuse could be the best way to heal my upcoming hell-like end-alcoholism phase in the next 10 years (?)

Op, it's not the best idea.. I'm going to have to agree with the above posters.

Disulfiram has a half life of 60-120 hours, so no it's not safe to drink.
If you drink alcohol while it's still in your system you'll more or less get an instant hangover, as Disulfiram blocks a certain enzyme that metabolizes acetaldehyde (acetaldehyde dehydrogenase), if you drink enough this can even kill you, so don't do it

^Yes Anti-Abuse, that's the trade name..The drug is called disulfiram.

Yes, thanks every1 for the advices! I decided not to drink, so I took the antabuse and it was the perfect deterrent.

;) (sorry for the late update)

I was on antabuse briefly and quit because I wanted to drink.

Now I take campral and it works very well as it treats the alcoholism/cravings rather than just being something to make you scared to drink.

I've been off and on drugs for the several years I've been on campral. However I can only recall one time where I drank heavily. I drank a couple handles of bacardi in a week (not taking the campral while doing it.) Before I was on the campral I would generally drink two 40oz st ides, steel reserve or hurricane high gravity every day. (They're stronger than regular beer so I think that's about 10 drinks.)

When I have drank it's been 2-4 beers because campral does something to fuck with the euphoria of drinking so you're basically left with all the toxic side effects/

Good AdrianShephard and check up Sober Living and the Dark Side sections here on BL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.