• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

punicic acid & obesity, and lack of research, why?

allone

Bluelighter
was going through some of the benefits in obesity regarding punicic acid isolated from pomegranate seed oil (which is not available anywhere btw) and i saw the wiki, plus i was going through this study specifically; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC534798/
it seems to me quite possible very likely this needing further exploration regarding obesity. why is it under explored?? and is it toxic to consume the pomegranate seed oil since i cannot find a single place that recommends consuming it... strange.

but anyway its some type of rare omega 5 acid. there is no page on wikipedia regarding omega 5s, and if WIKI doesnt have em on their site, might as well they do not exist right!?
but here is some more information i got on them; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03732586 and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20043077/ out of few that actually caught my attention but there is more to search on those believe me. and ill add more if, as it is likely now, people do not show enough interest.

Last edited:
just eat pomegranates... they are full of cool ellagitannins and such and besides they taste great, you ingest the seeds as part of the arils (the tasty red jewel things)
and is it toxic to consume the pomegranate seed oil
given that it's just a fatty acid, and people eat pomegranate seeds all the time, i would not expect it to be

but anyway its some type of rare omega 5 acid. there is no page on wikipedia regarding omega 5s
from wiki: It has been erroneous classified as "n-5" or "omega-5" polyunsaturated fatty acid because the last double bond is located five carbons from the terminal "omega" carbon, but the "n-x" notation can only be applied to all cis, methylene-interrupted polyunsaturated fatty acids

if WIKI doesnt have em on their site, might as well they do not exist right!?
it just means they are not common/significant enough for someone to have made a page on them... maybe you could put in the work?

also your study involves a strain of rats designed to become obese, in general it is tricky extrapolating from rats to humans, especially genetically engineered rats

and also also, I personally have not found that fatty acids are very effective drug-like compounds, in general you need to ingest large amounts of them and their effects are mild to moderate at best, you will not see major metabolic alterations I don';t think

Last edited:
just eat pomegranates... they are full of cool ellagitannins and such and besides they taste great, you ingest the seeds as part of the arils (the tasty red jewel things)

given that it's just a fatty acid, and people eat pomegranate seeds all the time, i would not expect it to be

from wiki: It has been erroneous classified as "n-5" or "omega-5" polyunsaturated fatty acid because the last double bond is located five carbons from the terminal "omega" carbon, but the "n-x" notation can only be applied to all cis, methylene-interrupted polyunsaturated fatty acids

it just means they are not common/significant enough for someone to have made a page on them... maybe you could put in the work?

also your study involves a strain of rats designed to become obese, in general it is tricky extrapolating from rats to humans, especially genetically engineered rats

and also also, I personally have not found that fatty acids are very effective drug-like compounds, in general you need to ingest large amounts of them and their effects are mild to moderate at best, you will not see major metabolic alterations I don';t think

the seed oil is highly concetrated unlike just eating a pomegranate, you will probably need like 1lbs of pomegranates to get the punicic acid needed in maybe a shot of seed oil? so yeah, the whole belief just eat your veggies is not going to work very well as all the beneficial compounds in vegetables are in such tiny amounts, you need massive pounds of food a day! to get just enough of the studied beneficial compound!! cmon, you are a science guy, you must know this by now! except some vitamins, especially high vitamin c, and fiber, vegetables arent much useful.

fatty acids arent very effective? how about medium chain fatty acids?? they have tons of research and support for weight loss, that is, with avoidance of carbs and being on the keto diet. adding punicic acid to such mix, i believe i have found the cure for obesity!

you will probably need like 1lbs of pomegranates to get the punicic acid needed in maybe a shot of seed oil
That's what, a single large pomegranate? I happen to love pomegranates, the secret is to peel them over a bowl of water, the white pith floats and the red arils sink, sop you can easily seperate out a whole bunch of the good tasty parts and eat it like popcorn
plus you will also get the ellagitanins and vitamin C etc

^ thats not edible. ok whatever i give up. im just looking for straight up supplement containing high levels of punicic acid, and then who knows, maybe over time there will be some positive results to report?

I don’t know if this is helpful for your research but it is a useful overview of the medical benefits of pomegranate generally and has links to some studies specifically on pomegranate seed oil. Seems like most of the benefits are from the skin or pulp.

Rather than eating (toxic) pomegranate seeds, you could try edible pine nuts for the same kind of oil with the same bioactivity

Except, oh wait, I tried eating a bunch of pine nuts once to see what happened: turns out it works by making you feel nauseous all the time, or at least that was my experience with it, anyway, I couldn't even finish the bag... anyway ymmv etc

Rather than eating (toxic) pomegranate seeds, you could try edible pine nuts for the same kind of oil with the same bioactivity

Except, oh wait, I tried eating a bunch of pine nuts once to see what happened: turns out it works by making you feel nauseous all the time, or at least that was my experience with it, anyway, I couldn't even finish the bag... anyway ymmv etc

interesting. i never read about pine nuts and their benefits. so they do have some, maybe partially based on having punicic acid? i didnt even know they have any of that stuff. i might have to research this better, thanks for the info!

I mean yeah, but look at the mechanism. These fatty acids inhibit peristalsis, the movement of food through the digestive tract. That's an appetite-suppressing effect but not fun or worth it IMHO. Feel free to try, but consider yourself warned.

(I was just trying to avoid eating lunch at work...)

I mean yeah, but look at the mechanism. These fatty acids inhibit peristalsis, the movement of food through the digestive tract. That's an appetite-suppressing effect but not fun or worth it IMHO. Feel free to try, but consider yourself warned.

(I was just trying to avoid eating lunch at work...)

i can imagine thats what makes pesto so filling? i literally have no desire to eat much after few spoons of pesto :/
fuck it, im not gonna eat pine nuts, ill just get pesto whatever