• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment PTSD from the druggy life

Snafu in the Void

Bukowski Jr.

I was watching this video about "Complex PTSD", and was surprised to notice that almost all of these things apply to me. I always sort of jokingly thought I might have PTSD from being arrested so many times, jail, rehab, the trauma of being drug dependent, etc, yet never looked into it seriously or asked a doctor. But now I think I might actually do have it? I didn't know these were possible symptoms (in the video). I always thought PTSD was related to one specific traumatic event, I had no idea symptoms could manifest in these ways.

Looking back I think I developed some PTSD after my psychosis, resulting homelessness and all the stress from that. It was incredibly traumatic on so many levels.

I might talk to my doctor about this.

What do you guys think of getting PTSD from being a druggy and all the things druggies go through?

i think complex PTSD is being bandied around a bit too much these days and has departed far from the understanding that i had when i was diagnosed with it.

my therapist is actually of the opinion that being a drug addict in itself causes PTSD and has published research on this so i think its possible. the situations you describe sound fucking traumatic so i wouldn't be surprised if you were having a trauma response that would benefit from targeted therapy.

to me the trauma i got from being an addict, which does haunt me, is distinct from what caused me to get complex PTSD- which is what you get when you are subjected to multiple instances that would cause PTSD alone over a period of time, with an inability to escape from the situation.

maybe they have changed the definition. but my understanding are that the symptoms are in addition to the normal symptoms of PTSD, in that they go deeper into changing who you are, not instead of. do you find yourself avoiding things that might trigger negative feelings? even if they aren't flashbacks per se, that is a large sign imo. but i'm not a psychologist.

from the video, most of what it describes is manifestations of hypervigilence. hypervigilence and the associated physical symptoms is a symptom of normal PTSD. i'm not really sure what in the video would differentiate PTSD from cPTSD.

do you find yourself avoiding things that might trigger negative feelings?
abso-fucking-lutely

with everything

I'm addicted to escapism from any thing or situation that might trigger any sort of anxiety, uncertainty or negative thought - and when I do encounter one of these my gut reaction is to do everything in my immediate power to get away from it or to stop it. I really can't control it.

Sudden changes to my life, routine, surroundings give me intense anxiety no matter how small they are.

I often assume things will turn out in the worst possible way, so I avoid them.

I don't know. I feel like I could also just be describing extreme anxiety?

i think there is loads of mudiness, cos PTSD is anxiety inducing and vice-versa (probably).

but i meant like specific things. i select TV shows that i don't think will contain violence against women unless i'm feeling particularly strong or masochistic, for a long time i could basically only watch kids stuff. i can't be in rooms alone with men i don't know. so i avoid certain TV shows and i avoid situations where i'll be in an enclosed space with a man, unless i absolutely can't avoid it. like i have to get taxis for work sometimes and its hard not to lose my shit, even when i'm tracking where i am the whole time and people are expecting me at a place at a specific time etc.

i get the reacting to changes thing, but i put it down to autism.

pessimism also me too, and way way before any of the shit that caused any PTSD in me happened. do you think we are just born fucked up man? and that got us in situations that caused CPTSD that made us more fucked up? thats how i feel? upbringing didn't help either, but there was no outright abuse, more emotional neglect.

according to this the symptoms are in addition to normal ptsd symptoms:

abso-fucking-lutely

with everything

I'm addicted to escapism from any thing or situation that might trigger any sort of anxiety, uncertainty or negative thought - and when I do encounter one of these my gut reaction is to do everything in my immediate power to get away from it or to stop it. I really can't control it.

Sudden changes to my life, routine, surroundings give me intense anxiety no matter how small they are.

I often assume things will turn out in the worst possible way, so I avoid them.

I don't know. I feel like I could also just be describing extreme anxiety?
I don't think you're describing anxiety,
you're describing a method of avoiding anxiety at all costs,
which does suggest PTSD more than just the anxiety,
in other words - PTSD from being anxious too often, it does fit.

This discussion is fucking interesting btw, thank you both for that.

i've invented a new diagnosis for myself called complex being a cunt. its where you are so fucked up in so many ways that it is pointless trying to list them all.

i'm very special because i'm the only one who can have this diagnosis. cos i wouldn't think anyone else was a cunt for having depression/ptsd/eating disorders/addiction issues, especially all at once.

anyone else who identifies with any of the video in the OP should probably try and unpick it, because there way be explanations that you aren't even aware of, and you may be able to do something about them. it doesn't matter what its called specifically, though if you meet criteria for one mental illness over another it will inform treatment, which might be useful.

if hypervigilence is causing you issues then it should be addressed. i've found things that stimulate the vagus nerve to be helpful, but sadly i don't think there's a one size fits all approach.

i also really think that having truly fucked up your life so knowing full well it actually could happen to you, like myself and @Negentropic breeds pessimism and hypervigilence cos you're desperate not to get back in that state. its all so interconnected.

and when I do encounter one of these my gut reaction is to do everything in my immediate power to get away from it or to stop it. I really can't control it.
I can relate to this. You know what I do when I have severe anxiety, or if my PTSD is badly triggered?? I cancel all of my plans, call in sick to work, and I go to bed. Bed is my safe place and I can wrap myself up like a burrito and nap on and off, and I do that until my anxiety is gone. It's not the most effective or healthy way to deal with it, but when my anxiety gets THAT severe, no amount of meditation or mindfulness or distraction methods can make me feel better. It's something that I just have to sleep off (with the aid of any medication that induces drowsiness, e.g. doxylamine, clonidine, diazepam, even fuckn metaclopromide makes me drowsy).

This severity of anxiety occurs perhaps once every 2-3 months on average??

I can relate to this. You know what I do when I have severe anxiety, or if my PTSD is badly triggered?? I cancel all of my plans, call in sick to work, and I go to bed. Bed is my safe place and I can wrap myself up like a burrito and nap on and off, and I do that until my anxiety is gone. It's not the most effective or healthy way to deal with it, but when my anxiety gets THAT severe, no amount of meditation or mindfulness or distraction methods can make me feel better. It's something that I just have to sleep off (with the aid of any medication that induces drowsiness, e.g. doxylamine, clonidine, diazepam, even fuckn metaclopromide makes me drowsy).
Have you tried some of the standard CBT anti-anxiety techs?
You can use them on yourself. I've always been sort of anxious due to my paraschizo, and sometimes they really help.
Many of them are quite effective, as stupid as it sounds.

I also deal with this almost daily at work, anxiety is in the top 5 of issues I work with. As stupid as it sounds, once the mind is occupied with calculating something else, the anxiety fades, I'd say 50/50 chance

Have you tried some of the standard CBT anti-anxiety techs?
You can use them on yourself. I've always been sort of anxious due to my paraschizo, and sometimes they really help.
Many of them are quite effective, as stupid as it sounds.

I also deal with this almost daily at work, anxiety is in the top 5 of issues I work with. As stupid as it sounds, once the mind is occupied with calculating something else, the anxiety fades, I'd say 50/50 chance
Oh my, yes! I use all the CBT techniques for anxiety and intrusive thoughts constantly, every day :) But what I was referring to in my post above, was the days that occur perhaps once every 2-3 months where the anxiety is just way too much for my mind and body to cope with, so I have to sleep it off. But CBT methods, mindfulness, and lots of other techniques that I've learned over the years, I am constantly using them throughout every day :) Thank you though DF!

I never went as low as homelessness I think that can screw up mental equilibrium on its own I think I certainly do have damage from the druggy life nothing like full blown PTSD though

I was watching this video about "Complex PTSD", and was surprised to notice that almost all of these things apply to me. I always sort of jokingly thought I might have PTSD from being arrested so many times, jail, rehab, the trauma of being drug dependent, etc, yet never looked into it seriously or asked a doctor. But now I think I might actually do have it? I didn't know these were possible symptoms (in the video). I always thought PTSD was related to one specific traumatic event, I had no idea symptoms could manifest in these ways.

Looking back I think I developed some PTSD after my psychosis, resulting homelessness and all the stress from that. It was incredibly traumatic on so many levels.

What do you guys think of getting PTSD from being a druggy and all the things druggies go through?

Rotating Acid Trip GIF
luv yer name and its meaning, pray you come thru the other side

This severity of anxiety occurs perhaps once every 2-3 months on average??

I totally relate to the safety of bed.

When I have those SEVERE anxiety days I will literally start shaking like I have parkinson's disease, a really obvious tremor. It's awful. My chest will hurt. Stomach in knots. Can't focus or even think.

My #1 go to for severe anxiety is to just RUN several miles. The intense exercise calms me down, and psychologically it's almost like I'm running away from my problems.

EXaYQw.gif

Really interesting video, such a calming voice too.