• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos PTSD ESA

FutureReference

Bluelighter
Hey all,

Me and my Psychiatrist had a heart to heart yesterday. She told me since I was on 6MG+ of Clonazepam a day, she thought more should be done for my PTSD.

She wrote me a prescription for my dog to be an Emotional Support Animal. I love my dog and take her to all appointments and on the road with me.

I've gotten mixed answers, and am hoping somebody here has experience. Since it is due to mental illness, I was told the prescription is all I need. Like I can order her a harness and stuff today and that's it. For her to be a Service Dog would be different and require training but I just need her with me. It calms and cuts panic down immensely.

Anybody have any experience with this? I am on Celexa and Lyrica as well and have had a near life-long mental spreadsheet. I think the dog is a great idea and am wondering if that prescription was all I need and I'm okay now?

God Bless you all and thanks in advance

Hey OP! That is a lot of Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril) to be taking every day, so I'm guessing that you experience some pretty serious shit. Very sorry to hear that. I'm not judging at all, but I'd definitely make sure that that drug and dosage are truly of benefit to you. Benzodiazepines have some very positive effects, but long-term dependence can lead to some very difficult and (often) inadequately advertised consequences. So this isn't the best place to ask about the laws regarding your dog, but I think I can maybe help. I have a dog whom I love (Hi Luna, if you're reading this!) so I feel you there :)

Different states have different laws regarding dogs. Within that realm, counties and towns have separate laws regarding dogs. I actually wanted to do the same thing at one point with my dog, but where I'm at is so dog friendly that nobody has every asked when I bring her inside. The common theme seems to be that the dog must be over 1 year in age and be friendly. In practice, I bet you're not gonna get stopped and frisked for your papers if the dog is well-behaved. Like I said though, laws differ from place to place and I'm sure it gets legally confusing, but just Google the laws in your area and I bet you will figure it out quickly!