View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics not working anymore?confused

methoxetaman

Bluelighter
For the past 4 or 5 months, psychedelics aren?t making me trip. Have tried 4-AcO-DMT (which always was superb in the past) probably 4 or 5 times, same exact bag that I had tripped on a few months prior, 1P-LSD once from a trusted source, and also 2C-B-FLY (which is a phenethylamine rather than tryptamine, don?t know if it acts on serotonin but it didn?t work both times regardless?although I?m not 100% on the source; could have been bad little pills. Fluorescent green tiny tablets). No effect from any of them

Most arycyclohexylamines aren?t working, either :-( namely 3-MeO-PCP and 2-Oxo-PCE.

Here are details:

I was on SSRI drugs for about two or three years, off and on.

2015 I was started on Celexa, aka citalopram, during a court-ordered stay at a rehab/detox thing (I was in trouble for possession of DMT?need I say it wasn?t a true case of addiction?). I didn?t have much say, but also still believed that SSRI drugs might be helpful.

I stayed on it for maybe a year or year and a half, don?t really remember. I think there were a few times where I just didn?t take it for weeks or months at a time, and I remember tripping a handful in 2016. I definitely did a lot of deschloroketamine, and despite my 3+ year binge on MXE (gram+ a day for many days) I noticed very little tolerance, at least to the DCK. 3-MeO-PCP was another story, 120mg and still 99% sober. 2-Oxo-PCE also a no go. I can only explain the NMDA antagonists not working with tolerance.

Anyway, after the Cymbalta, well I think I had been taking it again for a few months, someone broke in to my apartment and slammed a baseball bat in my face. This was early February 2017. Spent a month in the hospital learning to walk again and stuff, plus a neurological rehab a couple months later.

The overseeing doctor started me on Cymbalta (duloxetine), in replacement of the Celexa, saying it was better for my condition/Traumatic Brain Injury. I continued the Cymbalta for something like 8 months, ane afternoon learning about tardive dysphoria (depression caused by long-term SSRI use, it?s actually brain damage) and also hating that I wasn?t able to trip, I refused to take the pills and eventually got my doctor to give up giving me the prescription (against his recommendation?apparently he doesn?t think tardive dysphoria is a thing. Has to show him a scientific journal article to get him to stfu).

Something like 3 weeks later, give or take, I rectally administered some 4-AcO-DMT and aside from nausea that I didn?t use to have with it, I tripped like normal. Tripped a handful over the next 3 or 4 weeks with no problems. This is why I don?t blame the brain injury for the psychedelics not working; I was able to trip like 8 months after it happened. Now I can?t. Also makes me confused about whether to blame the SSRI?s; I was able to trip 3 weeks after stopping them and have not taken them since. But now I don?t trip.

Here are the medications I have been taking for the past 6 months or so: glycopyrrolate, Zyrtec, multivitamin, metoprolol, omeprazole, minocycline (antibiotic for some skin thing I had under my armpit)
Did start trazodone maybe 3 months ago, but trips stopped working even before I started it. Don?t think it affects serotonin though, although it is an antidepressant technically.

As far as I know, none of these medications would prevent tripping.

Let?s say it is in fact aftereffects of the SSRI?s?perhaps it took a couple months for the damage to set in once I stopped taking them. What can I do to help repair my serotonin receptors? Are they damaged forever?

I have heard that long-term SSRI use can end up destroying your ability to trip, but I always heard people say they had been on the SSRI for years and years (like 5+)

Any input is appreciated. Why can?t I trip? Why could I at first after no more SSRI and then couldn?t, with no change in medications?

It?s pretty frustrating to not have effects when I know the substance is good. I wanted to ride roller coasters tripping this summer for damn it.

Help!

(Sorry for the ??s where apostrophes should be. iPhone sucks)

Last edited:
Cymbalta is an SNRI, similar to SSRIs.

Ive recently got my doc to start weening me off it, long story short, an epileptic med gave better results at stabilising my moods. I figured I don?t need cymbalta anymore.

Ive tripped a few times on cymbalta. Shrooms and lsd. Both with ok results. But I found my tolerance to psychs would skyrocket after having a good trip.

I havent tested how how long it would take me to be baseline again for tripping. But going by a few experiences it seems to me it would be longer than someone not taking an AD.

I was was on 60mg. Been on 30mg for the last week. Looking at dropping it completely within the next month.

Feel free to ask me about my experiences.

Have you been giving yourself long enough breaks in between trying psychs?

edit: I have a friend who takes citalopram (sp?) (lexapro). He?s complained about taking lsd with diminished results. He too is getting off it so he can enjoy psychs again. He had a night out with others on the same blotters, he said he had fun, but he?s judgement was that the other fellas who don?t take ADs were tripping balls to the wall, while he was just not feeling the magic of lsd. He couldn?t get a convo going with the others because they seemed too busy being blown away with cevs/oevs.

Lol. I see what your saying about the question marks with iPhones. Never used to be like this when I was a full timer on here a few years back. Weird.

Take care. Hope stuff works out for you eventually.

Last edited:
Did start trazodone maybe 3 months ago, but trips stopped working even before I started it. Don?t think it affects serotonin though, although it is an antidepressant technically.

Trazodone is not just a serotonin reuptake inhibitor, but also an antagonist at the 5HT2A serotonin receptor subtype. In other words, it is the exact opposite of classical psychedelics like LSD, which are 5HT2A agonists.

Plenty of people trip just fine on SSRI's if they increase the dose slightly, but tripping while on a 5HT2A antagonist is going to be hard, if not impossible.

Ah. I guess my doctor said it (Cymbalta) was an SSRI, and I stupidly believed him (again). Grrr. I think I should find a new doctor; he has said a lot of wrong things and didn?t want to let me off the antidepressants not knowingly what tardive dysphoria is.

But anyway, I didn?t think Trazodone is a Serotonin reuptake inhibitor? Guess I?ll read more. Don?t take it quite every night, just when it?s imperative i get to sleep on time.

I think I?ll abstain from using it for a while. I think I?ll try to trip again; it has been probably 3 and a half months since I last tried and perhaps that is sufficient time. I?ve got a couple hundred mg of 4-AcO just sitting here anyway.

How long do you think I should wait after stopping Trazodone doses? It was 50mg a night like 3 maybe 4 days a week.