Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric Psychedelics during competition

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Hello BL,

I’m curious to know your experiences on taking psychedelics like LSD and shrooms before and during mental competitions and whether you have benefited from breadth of vision, increased creativity, faster raw mental processing power? I’m thinking of mostly mental competitions like writing a physics/math exam, playing in a poker or chess tournament?
Do you think psychedelics is better for creative activities like art projects, writing, music composition?
Do psychedelics make ones energy levels inconsistent and therefore not good for competition as competitions require steady energy levels usually?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know you're asking for mental tasks and tests, but the most tangible experience I have with this is when I was playing Darts on a high dose of acid.

My first throw I missed the board. The second throw I hit the outside of the board. The 3rd throw I hit damn near the middle and the 4th throw I made a bullseye, and every throw after that I was able to get a bulls eye or damn close to it. Every single time.

The reason for the fast improvement? It'll be hard to put into words. I learned massively from my mistakes and immediately and inherently knew what adjustments had to be made. I could actually see, in my visual field the angle that my arm had to be at at whatever given distance I was at. I did try adjusting distances and yes, the angle that I saw would adjust accordingly. I could feel what velocity to throw with, exactly how to move which muscles I needed to use and to relax the other muscles I wasn't. It was an awesome experience.

LSD I have found is amazing for intellectual understanding and I find that using my brain is extremely fun, satisfying, and rewarding while under its influence. It doesn't often cause any sort of brain fog or disordered thinking that impedes my ability to understand novel or complex concepts. Truly an astounding compound.

Other psychedelics I feel are much too unpredictable in terms of their mental and emotional effect to use them for any sort of exam or test or anything, at least at a macro dose. A microdose might be different.

I have tried producing music using software on my computer while tripping and I found it rather difficult, although I am by no means an expert with the software. Still in the learning stages. I don't play any instruments but I imagine it might be different if one has a physical instrument and actually knows a little bit how to play.

Great topic, by the way. I am really eager to hear others experiences with this.

I've taken LSD (and various other drugs) before chess tournaments.

As far as that goes, it's fun and makes me FEEL more creative, but objectively it probably doesn't and overall lowered my performance. I played at a high level with titled players, though. No room for minor mistakes.

The only drug where I saw some possible improvement in my play was dexamphetamine. I attribute that to increased endurance and concentration, not cognitive benefits.

A smaller dose of LSD (but not a microdose) always made me feel like I could do many things better, especially things requiring body and mind both. I used to like taking half hits of acid at work occasionally. Seemed as if I figured things out better, similar to the darts story above. Objectively though, I think that my performance was not improved, possibly even hurt a little bit.

However, I think that the real question is whether doing something on acid improves your performance of something later, after the trip. I think it likely that the insights, different perspective, and communication with different parts of your brain can improve things a lot after the experience.