Psychedelics Could Hold the Key to Mental Health, But Most Research is Illegal

TheBlackPirate

Bluelighter
nib said:
Psychedelics Could Hold the Key to Mental Health, But Most Research is Illegal
By Leah Bush | Wednesday, April 6, 2016

website_cover_RackMultipart20160405-15339-unmfq8.jpg

AP Photo/Jeff Barnard

Could LSD make you a happier, healthier person? Emerging scientific research shows that psychedelic substances like LSD and Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) have great potential to treat everything from post-traumatic stress disorder, sleep disorders, addiction to anxiety associated with terminal illness and depression. Unfortunately, these substances are all illegal. Is it time to reconsider the ban on research?

Emerging Research

The government bans research on psychedelics, but the existing research shows that these substances can have profound therapeutic benefits on mental health. Watch as RT questions what you think you know about 'hippie drugs.'

Promising Discoveries

The studies are showing big effects. The exciting thing isn’t just that these drugs work for something that we already have treatment for. It’s that they’re getting big effects on disorders for which we have very poor treatment.

- Dr. Matthew Johnson, Behavioral Pharmacologist, Johns Hopkins

Natural Psychadelics

web_RackMultipart20160405-15326-ggq7o0.jpg

Peyote plant AP Photo/Joe Hermosa

Pscyhadelics like acid are in the same family as psychobascilin, ayhausca, peyote, mescalin have paved the way for reexamining LSD.

Public Enemy

LSD (Acid), MDMA (Ecstasy or Molly), Psilocybin (magic mushrooms) and marijuana were all in the mainstream pharmacopeia prior to their criminalization in 1970 under the Controlled Substances Act. The act placed these substances under Schedule I, the tightest designation, and they were dismissed as having "no accepted medical use." Propaganda like "Dragnet" in the 1970s and 1937's "Reefer Madness" fed the stigma.

Reefer Madness

Marijuana was in the mainstream pharamcopeia for a long time before It became associated with claims of indecent behavior and was criminalized. The classic 1937 film "Reefer Madness" is a great example of anti-marijuana propaganda.

Research Ban

Drugs under Schedule I are effectively banned for research, which many say presents a Catch 22. In 2011, for example, DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart rejected a bid to reclassify marijuana, arguing that the "risks of marijuana use have not been shown to be outweighed by specific benefits in well-controlled clinical trials." Research advocates say criminalized substances could hold the key to new medical developments.

About the CSA

The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) is the statute prescribing federal drug policy regulating the manufacture, importation, possession, use and distribution of certain substances. There are five schedules, designation into which is based on potential for abuse, currently accepted medical use in treatment in the U.S., and international treaties.

Closed Minds

2016-04-01 12:27:03 -0400

Gateway Drug

Medical marijuana or cannabis is the most recent previously closeted drug that's been thrust into the limelight. Fast becoming a darling of not just hippies, but the general public, it has shown potential therapeutic uses for everything from sleep and mood disorders to seizures. Although still Schedule I, research is ongoing in small amounts. Current legislation to reclassify marijuana is being considered in Congress.

Changing Attitudes
mobile_act_tile_RackMultipart20160405-15339-glfbom.jpg

AP Photo/Ted S. Warren

Changing attitudes toward criminalized substances may help us discover their therapeutic uses. Many, such as marijuana, already show profound benefits.
https://newsinbrief.com/health/scie...ental-health-but-most-research-is-ilegal-1226

I like weed and everything, but haven't met any doctor that thinks its good for mood disorders unless we are talking CBD.

Out of all the psychedelics, ibogaine seems to hold the most promise for mental health related disorders. not listed for some reason. :|

Either way, the pharma industry doesn't like psychedelics bc they don't like cures or things that you don't have to use daily. Being as they run the medical field in the US, I doubt well see much progress here. You can't patent plants or natural compounds either, so there isn't much financial motivation and tons of (perceived) risk.

Cannabis has been a big help to me over the years, especially now that I'm a graduate student in my mid-20's, a position which makes me noticeably more susceptible to anxiety and depression.

I think MDMA is going to regain its foothold in psychiatric medicine within a decade, if not within a few more years. The research that has been done on it corroborates the deeply profound effects I've seen it have on myself and others.

by mood disorders, was referring to major depression or bipolar in the clinical sense. It does help with those things for some im sure, i just have never seen any type of official endorsement by anyone in the medial or mental health profession. textbook says its bad juju.

theres a big difference between lifting mood and treating a mood disorder.

just thought i would clarify a bit. :)

Yeah, I mean, I'm a scientist and ordinarily I'd say we should defer to established science and expert opinions. Unfortunately, the science on all of these drugs is very far from established, so I think the fact that the use of Cannabis, for example, is not yet mainstream in the medical community doesn't really say much about its potential efficacy. More science remains to be done.

I absolutely think the slow pace of that science is related to what you said about the pharma industry (and I completely agree with your statement.)

AFAIK, most current treatments for mood disorders are far from 100% effective. The possibility that Cannabis or some other psychedelic drug could be effective for at least a few people who are otherwise resistant to treatment is not to be ignored, I think, and has yet to be ruled out.

I agree with you in that proof of that possibility is still out of reach, for all I know when the science is in we'll discover that psychedelics are not really useful for mental hygiene. I tend to take an optimistic attitude though. :)

Yeah, I mean, I'm a scientist and ordinarily I'd say we should defer to established science and expert opinions. Unfortunately, the science on all of these drugs is very far from established, so I think the fact that the use of Cannabis, for example, is not yet mainstream in the medical community doesn't really say much about its potential efficacy. More science remains to be done.

I absolutely think the slow pace of that science is related to what you said about the pharma industry (and I completely agree with your statement.)

AFAIK, most current treatments for mood disorders are far from 100% effective. The possibility that Cannabis or some other psychedelic drug could be effective for at least a few people who are otherwise resistant to treatment is not to be ignored, I think, and has yet to be ruled out.

I agree with you in that proof of that possibility is still out of reach, for all I know when the science is in we'll discover that psychedelics are not really useful for mental hygiene. I tend to take an optimistic attitude though. :)

I think the next wave of doctors coming up through the system now (during a time of great change when it comes to cannabis) will be more willing to examine the possible benefits as it is not so socially stigmatized. My doctor (whom is younger) suggested cannabis to me for my anxiety in FL, even though it is illegal here still. He didn't care about it being illegal, he wants his patients not to needlessly suffer.

For my OCD and panic disorder I have been reading that eating a dose of magic mushrooms can actually lessen the intrusive thoughts I experience. It is mushroom season here in florida soon. I could source my medicine, however I would want to do it under medical and psychiatric supervision in order to gauge how well the treatment is working. When I do not take my meds I am a wreck. Full of paranoia and intrusive thoughts...it would be nice to be able to handle those without the antidepressants.

Cannabis was/is one of the most effective treatments for my anxiety that I've found. Purely anecdotal and I know that for some it's very anxiogenic, but that's just been my experience.

Psilocybin and other strong hallucinogens (namely LSD) also greatly reduced my overall levels of anxiety. Not necessarily when I was high, but in the days and weeks following a strong psychedelic hallucinogen high I'd feel marked decreases in overall levels of stress and depression. Again, not for everyone but it worked for me, and that's why I suggest it to anyone who's open to the idea.

^^^I noticed that myself. I had three bad trips in my life that hospitalized me. Of the scores of other trips that I have taken I did notice a marked decrease in how I acted out on my intrusive thoughts. I guess it made me think more about how irrational my fears are.

As far as cannabis goes, its a tricky one. I do believe it has medicinal value, absolutely, and its pretty effective for me. I don't think its a holy grail, but is one of of the few drugs you can get away with taking daily, which is kind of a big deal. Low cbd strains and high thc strains, seem problematic to me for mental health patients. cannabis on the black market will most likely not produce reliable results. A strain with a healthy ratio of both THC and significant levels of CBD seem the most beneficial to me. Some folks certainly need to be mindful of the amounts of THC they are using and some simply cant tolerate it at all.

CBD is certainly preferable to traditional anti-psychotics and studies have indicated that it is just as effective. When presented with the option, CBD seems like a no brainer to me, considering the huge risks of most APs. CBD remains inaccessible for a lot of people because of the cost and is not covered by insurance or advertised on TV. Anti-psychotics are arguably the most dangerous class of drugs that exist, but remain on the market even when an infinitely safer alternative is available. Im sure makers of APs will do everything in their power to ensure CBD never makes it mainstream. I know that traditional APs do help some people, but they have the ability to completely destroy lives in a pretty, erm 'special' way.

I agree with you, more science needs to be done and some mainstream conclusions about mental health are pretty absurd. The book is still being written, and its particularly annoying hearing people parrot pharma bullshit like its law, esp when its not helpful and/or fails to manage symptoms. I always get a kick out of the "approved" list of substances that a mental health patient can take, like were all the same. Meanwhile, they pour toxic shit down your throat, tell you its good for you and tell you that you can't smoke weed or take psychedelics. lol...ok guy.

The first time I took MDMA, I was 16 and even told my friend I was rolling with: 'This is gonna change the world'...lol. many years later, I definitely think it holds a lot of potential for PTSD, but im not as keen on it as I once was. I think it has the ability to be depleting but PTSD is a pretty difficult disorder to treat. I think one of its downsides is that you can only tolerate it a couple of times before the magic is lost or does damage. One of the riskier drugs one can experiment with IMO and my god the crash is dreadful. I would think minimizing exposure would be prudent. Also more research needs to be done on finding the most effective isomer ratios.

I am diagnosed with bipolar II and ADD. I think a lot of my issues revolve around cPTSD but i haven't gotten an official diagnosis for that. I stopped going to professionals a while back. I am considered 'treatment resistant' and at one time was put on zyprexa, an AP. Helped for a while, but has compounded my problems exponentially and there isn't much I can take now that puts much of a dent in my symptoms. I've been sick for about 2 years now and still have a lot of issues. I was pretty desperate not too long ago and microdosed, took medium doses of ibogaine. It started working for me the next day. It not only reversed a lot of my symptoms (which is nothing short of a miracle) but I felt more calm, stable, and at peace than I ever have. I actually felt good and more like myself than I ever have, not just anti depressed, it was truly genuine. It would have changed the course of my life had I had access to it prior the shitstorm i am in now. I think it can treat depression better than almost anything we have now, stabilize mood disorders and so much more. It worked better for me than anything i have ever taken and i have taken dozens of psychiatric drugs over the years in almost every class that there is.

Ibogaine holds such an absurdly huge amount of potential I could go on for days lol. I think microdosing can be just as beneficial as a flood, but it depends on what your specific application is. The main focus on ibo has been 'curing' addiction which is one of ibos less intriguing properties IMO. I don't really think you can cure addiction, but I do think that you can heal the underlying causes. I think a flood has the ability to completely heal PTSD in a way that no other substance can. I think it has It seems to have a long lasting effect, that stays with you your whole life, unlike the fleeting nature of other substances. It can be single use thing, a true cure, which is miraculous.

I was having significant neurological symptoms that ibogaine reversed in a few days. I did have a lot of my symptoms come back a few months later, but my situation is pretty complex and not something I want to get into atm. I had severe GI issues (IBS type neurological symptoms) for over a year. Ibogaine completely reversed and healed those issues for me (8 months later). I felt the affected areas get warm and completely went away while under a couple grams of TA. its the ultimate therapeutic psychedelic and very gentle compared to something like DMT, which can be kind of harsh, dark and unpredictable for me. Its truly remarkable and it infuriates me that something that could have changed my life and even cured me, is deliberately being kept out of reach bc it competes with shit maintenance drugs. people are suffering and keeping a cure locked away is criminal.

It also has the ability to reverse anhedonia and other issues that people have had from APs and stimulants (anecdotally at least). Ibo is the ultimate therapeutic psychedelic and you don't even have to trip for it to work. It is serious business though, and I wish they could work out some of the kinks with heart arrhythmia's etc and maybe explore some analogs ala 18 MC. Why more people aren't studying and using this plant is beyond me. I think the possibilities with this one are huge and help in areas that we currently don't have any answers for such as autonomic dysfunction and other neurological problems.

Overall, I don't think balls out tripping is the best idea for some patients but it isn't always necessary. Microdosing can stil have profound effects and i think this is getting more popular among drug nerds and has a promising future. psilocybin in particular, but Im sure other tryptamines have potential as well. I do think tryptamines require repeat exposure so its something you have to be more diligent with. Its effect on the hippocampus is pretty intriguing, which is affected in chronically depressed patients.

Psychedelics might be the closest thing we have to cures for some disorders.i have mixed feelings of optimism and cynicism for their future in the medical and mental health fields. As a stand alone treatment, I don't think they answers in and of themselves, but I do consider them powerful tools. Mental health has many different orgins, and as such, will always require a multi-faceted approach. I do know that we need every tool available to combat these particular types of issues.

Sorry for the novel, kind of a broad topic, and I could keep going, but ill wrap it up.

Last edited:
I have considered a relatively normal dosage og LSD (100-150ug) with a sitter as a way to explore parts of my psyche I cannot reach otherwise. Through years of therapy and academic knowledge about philosophy and psychology I have gained a huge insight into myself and the root of my problems. Yet, there are things that I cannot figure it. Things that I cannot now solve rationally.

Two years ago I attempted to copy Irwin et al. (2013) as best I could to treat my depression with pharmaceutical ketamine taken IM each day in a period of 28 days. It did help that summer, but the fact that it was summer might have been a factor as well as several other variables, so correlation but no causality.

Ibogaine is not something I have had access to before, but that might be a better solution as it is milder than LSD?

I have no intention of taking LSD even in micro dosages over several days, thus it should be one day with LSD (100-150ug) and then just take the chance and see if I can somehow see my root problems differently which in long-term could have a positive effect in how I handle them and define them in the first place.

Having had long-term addiction, anxiety, depression and PTSD problems I am starting to open up to unscientific methods of treatments. Anything really that could help me. Otherwise I see a good chance that I might end up as a life long Methadone user. Methadone has been the only thing in 10 years that has given me a stable and somewhat positive life. But it is the addict in me seeing this as a solution and the "jump-over-where-the-fence-is-lowest" part.

I say with confidence psychedelic medicines have significant potential in improving mental health. Research from the 50s, 60s, and 70s demonstrated the effectiveness of psychedelic medicines with the best science available then. The failled War on Drugs censored research almost 50 years. Finally our society has started research again. Research utilizing modern protocols has confirmed earlier findings, results are promising. MDMA assisted psychotherapy has saved the lives of several American veterans with PTSD and dozens of others. Let's save more.

PTSDandMDMA.png

* * more about MDMA therapy * *

^^^^that graphic is amazing! In the states we live in a culture that if you have a problem you take a pill and it is solved. I ran into this with my OCD and panic disorder. The doctor basically just kept prescribing higher and higher doses of benzos without actually touching on what really works. Benzos are just a tool, as MDMA is just a tool. Real therapy is helpful

^^^^that graphic is amazing! In the states we live in a culture that if you have a problem you take a pill and it is solved. I ran into this with my OCD and panic disorder. The doctor basically just kept prescribing higher and higher doses of benzos without actually touching on what really works. Benzos are just a tool, as MDMA is just a tool. Real therapy is helpful

Though in this figure I think they attempt to make it clear that MDMA is only a SUPPLEMENT to therapy.

But I agree with you. It is the same in Denmark often. Very fast diagnosed psychological disorders and then prescription of quite strong medication without further adieu (Medication like SSRI, SNRI, Ritalin, Benzo's, Anti-psychotics)

Though in this figure I think they attempt to make it clear that MDMA is only a SUPPLEMENT to therapy.

But I agree with you. It is the same in Denmark often. Very fast diagnosed psychological disorders and then prescription of quite strong medication without further adieu (Medication like SSRI, SNRI, Ritalin, Benzo's, Anti-psychotics)

I am fortunate that I have a doctor that linked me to psychological help, and also helped me taper off the benzos. I do have to take an ssri but it is actually helpful for my condition.