View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics and crying

just say know

Bluelighter
has anyone experienced crying while under the influence of a psychedelic? what was it like?

personally i've experienced crying while under the influence of LSA and if i didn't hold it in it was beautiful and freeing.

100% of the trips I take alone, I cry. As you've said, it's beautiful and freeing. Sometimes it has to do with insights (There is nothing to worry about, I *AM* happy, I don't have to do anything or go anywhere to be it, I AM already it). Sometimes it has to do with me watching movies/series (usually Twin Peaks, most lately Interstellar) which are heart-wrenchingly pure. Also, reading "Be Here Now" does it every time. "Unless you become as little children, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven." Aaah, the total purity.
4HO-tryptamines (my favorite psychedelics) bring it about so elegantly.

I've never cried during a trip with other people, the only exception being trips with my girlfriend. Also, 100% of those trips. I'm 30 and she's 23, and the way she holds me in those intense moments signals to me she's a very old and compassionate soul.

Before I tried psychedelics I never cried (unless maybe once or twice caused by a breakup - although that were cries because my ego was hurt, not because my soul was touched).

Bottom line: tripping learned me crying is equally important as laughing. Doing it without judgment feels absolutely freeing, as you've put it so adequately.
At this moment, I can cry even without psychedelics (I consider this a big step). Sometimes I can't, and that means I've got work to do (removal of blockades, mostly).

Last edited:
Yep. Mushrooms will do it repeatedly for me lol. They have an effect on my emotions similar to spinning a big wheel of fortune nice and slowly, and whatever tile the arrow points to as it slowly rotates will queue that emotion. I'll go from overly euphoric, to anxious, to content, to crying in the space of a minute or two. lol.

That being said, I haven't experienced TRUE emotional crying while tripping. Only ever baseless emotions, like the drug just pressed the "happy" button, followed by the "terrified" button, and so on.

An LSD trip without tears is an incomplete trip :)

I find it's usually towards the end of the trip or the next day, sometimes within the following week when i'm thinking about the people im closest to, usually family

It always feels good after a cry but if i cry during the trip the space afterwards is so great after such an emotional release

I've gotten close but have never cried on a trip so far, but I expect that to change when I acclimate to higher dose trips.

MDA and MDMA did make me cry however

...and adderall.

A trip is not complete without crying it helps release all that sadness you have had stored up and makes you a happier person after :)

Recently-ish the day after a horrendous trip, that was continuing for an absurd length of time I remember walking up to my mother and just breaking into tears. As much as I would never normally feel that be a thing I would do, it was so easy and as people have said above released a lot of anxiety/sadness that had been brewing!!

LSD has had tears rolling down my cheeks a couple of times, from laughter or extreme euphoria.

I've not cried yet on a psych, with the exception of crying from laughter. However I cry often when I'm high and alone, listening to beautiful music or watching a beautiful movie.

I once cried over a Spaghetti Bolognese I made, shit was so damn tasty I love how psychedelics can make food taste so much better. I was eating in the garden with my girlfriend the sun was going down the birds were singing what more could you ask for.

I once cried over a Spaghetti Bolognese I made, shit was so damn tasty I love how psychedelics can make food taste so much better. I was eating in the garden with my girlfriend the sun was going down the birds were singing what more could you ask for.

Awesome! The best meal I've eaten was Japanese food while being super high, I could feel the different tastes explode in my mouth, it was incredible all the details I could feel and I hadn't noticed before. It was almost like the tastes felt like colours. Closest description I could give would be that scene in Ratatouille.

LOL. One afternoon last summer I was relaxing in the garden eating a slice of chocolate brownie cheesecake while peaking on 350mcg LSD. It tasted orgasmic and I got some wicked synesthesia: as I was eating it I was literally seeing swirls of chocolate in the sky.

While under the influence of edible cannabis (does that count? it sure as fuck felt psychedelic) though more like rocking back and forth and crying for the effects to end.

I've cried a number of times on trips. It's been for a variety of reasons: I was sad, I was scared, I was regretful (of things in my life, not of taking the drug), I was overwhelmingly happy, I felt overwhelming love, etc. As has been mentioned above, crying is a beautiful release.

Have to agree with what Xorkoth said. The 5htp receptor agonism elevates the emotional feedback chain. There is always a reason to cry :D

The best cries, even about difficult issues I had with MXP.

The worst cries I had with 4-Aco-DMT. Though I did not have problems with other shroom derivates or phens.

I was stoned and cried at an episode of Family Guy once, lol. It was the one where Peter tries to make his own Red Bull, and then destroys his kidneys and so Brian is going to give him both his kidneys, and effectively end his life so Peter can live. Before the surgery Peter and Brian are having this deep talk and I that's when I cried. Not a psych but I still think that's funny.

Mushrooms are the one that always helps me have a good cry if I feel like it. LSD not so much - psilocybin seems to reach deeper emotionally.

And crying on mushrooms is so different to crying sober - it's as if the mushroom has a hand around your shoulder and is doing it's best to comfort you while also letting you reach your deepest emotions. Very cathartic and wonderful.