• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

psychedelics after completing an SSRI treatment?

mexibro

Greenlighter
so, I've been prescribed vortioxetine for depression, and I'm 100% dropping all recreational substances for whatever time it takes, be it 6 months or a year. Until I taper off them completely and no longer need it. And then wait a month or so.

But I dont want to hang off the phone forever, I'd love to take LSD or drop MDMA after I'm done with my treatment. I have some questions:

1) How long should I wait till my next trip, after the SSRI has done its job and I tampered from it completely? Will I get the same effects per potency that one tab of acid does to me now? Or am I exchanging mental balance for psychedelia for the rest of my life? I'll keep my trips for something I do once a month max, but I really don't wanna hang off the phone forever so to speak :p
2) After the SSRI is off my body completely, and my mind is "fixed", how wise would it be to drop 100mg of (some pretty clean and potent) MDMA? can that ruin completely the 3, 6 months of therapy? Will my rolls be diminished and tame from now on?

thx in advance

1) You wouldn't have to wait. Probably yes. No.
2) It wouldn't be unwise. If by then you are better or "fixed" it should not completely ruin your therapy. No.

LSD and vortioxetine bind at many sites and some of which are the same, while on vortioxetine (or any SSRI/most antidepressants), LSD will not give you as much as a high as not being on it because vortioxetine hampers with LSDs mechanism of action, some people experience nothing while on SSRIs as well. From a google search I can see that the half life of vortioxetine alone (I can't say much about its metabolites) is 66 hours so after about a week LSD should regain its full effects.
However despite what I have mentioned, if you have already completely tapered off vortioxetine and it has done its job then I don't see why you cannot take LSD right after. There will be nothing to interact with.

As for MDMA, the effects of SSRIs on your high are similar; it will be reduced. MDMA and SSRIs have the potential to increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, it can be fatal. Though again, if you are tapered off of vortioxetine and it has done its job then nothing should be affected by the use of it, and assuming you know how to be safe with MDMA then it likely won't ruin your therapy.

(Vortioxetine is an SSRI, but it also does have some more complicated mechanisms. I left that out for simplicity.)

In Conclusion
If you have tapered off completely, the SSRI has done its job, and you're safe with these substances, then you would be able to take these substances without any waiting or diminished effects, and very likely without risk to your mental health. Good luck.

Last edited:
dude, you are the MAN. I was honestly expecting someone to say "use the search bar u dum dum". but no, you answered my question and left me with a great peace of mind. I can't thank you enough for this. THANKS.

you made my day, seriously. thanks