View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic use and chronic pain management

aspiringchemist

Bluelighter
I love using psychedelics. Mainly the classics, LSD and psilocybin mushrooms. Also phenethylamines at times, 2Cx, Mdx, though not often.

I am a chronic pain patient and use kratom, Rx benzodiazepines, and Rx muscle relaxants daily. I have a high tolerance and frankly, go into withdrawal if I skip a dose.

Since I have started this regimen some years back, I have not used psychedelics because I find myself tired/sedated at times and often don't feel that well.

I guess my question is do others with pain management regimens find that using tryptamines is a worthwhile experience? Or do daily medications dampen or interfere with the effects of these substances?

What about maintaining your regimen while under the influence of psychedelics? Do you find you begin to experience withdrawal symptoms and need to take your medication(s) or does it fade away so to speak?

I know it's somewhat subjective, what are your experiences?

Thanks!

Hi! Just wondering if you've tried CBD oil for pain management? May I ask what strength of kratom, Rx benzodiazepines, and Rx muscle relaxants you're taking?

I guess my question is do others with pain management regimens find that using tryptamines is a worthwhile experience? Or do daily medications dampen or interfere with the effects of these substances?

Benzodiazepines are known to significantly diminish the effects of serotonergic psychedelics (tryptamines, phenethylamines, lysergamides), although in the end it comes down to the dose. Someone taking, say, more than 2 mg of Clonazepam per day is probably not going to get all that many visuals unless they take a relatively high dose of psychedelics. As for muscle relaxants, it probably depends on the specific drug - GABAergics like Carisoprodol likewise seem to have a dampening effect on the psychedelic experience.

Tricyclic antidepressants and Tramadol, often used in chronic pain management, also decrease the effects of psychedelics since they also inhibit the re-uptake of serotonin - a higher baseline serotonin level creates a higher baseline tolerance for psychedelics.

I don't have any experience with Kratom, but opinions on that combo seem to be pretty divided - it doesn't seem to dampen psychedelic effects all that much (atleast not to the extent that GABAergics do) and some find it nice for lessening anxiety during the comedown, while others report an uncomfortable bodyload and extreme nausea.

This is a subject close to my heart. I am sitting writing this at the tail end of a long dark night in the trenches :)

I have chronic pain/conditions to the degree that I take 80mgs of Oxy daily augmented with up to 100mgs of Tramadol and that doesn't keep the pain at bay unless I use a couple of grams of cannabis. Knowing that I have to plan my trips accordingly. I try to avoid the Tramadol for a couple of days if I can, at least 24hrs and it isn't constant use as I try to keep things as low as possible and its not the long acting one.

I only trip at night, (thought I was missing something until a few day trips convinced me otherwise) so I try and take the night before I trips Oxy dose as late as I can hang out for, usually say 10pm. The next day I get by with about 7ish grams of Kratom in the morning and in the evening. So if tripping on the Saturday night I have my evening dose on Friday as a night dose and usually get by on Kratom and cannabis on the Saturday.

If I am take as normal it definitely dulls the trip, especially the tramadol in my case.

I'm still very sore now and I've started back on my usual regime, a tough night but well worth it. You need to weigh up how the pain will affect the trip I like to do a wee dance, (stumble around to myself :) ) or pace a bit at the start say 20 mins or so then settle into the one spot for the most part before getting up and wandering so can usually get myself comfy after a fashion. As the night progresses and the psychedelics diminish I usually smoke more...usually :(

A lot will depend on how you manage your pain usually and the how that is playing on your mind, but with right juggling you should still be able to trip well. Mind you take care using cannabis, things can go from mellow to hellno very fast!

Last edited: