• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Psychedelic Therapy and Bad Trips

sigmond

Bluelight Crew
John Horgan May 2, 2016:Scientific American

I had to ask Anthony Bossis about bad trips.

Bossis, a psychologist at New York University, belongs to an intrepid cadre of scientists reviving research into psychedelics’ therapeutic potential. I say “reviving” because research on psychedelics thrived in the 1950s and 1960s before being crushed by a wave of anti-psychedelic hostility and legislation. Psychedelics such as LSD, psilocybin and mescaline are still illegal in the U.S. But over the past two decades, researchers have gradually gained permission from federal and other authorities to carry out experiments with the drugs. Together with physicians Stephen Ross and Jeffrey Guss, Bossis has tested the potential of psilocybin—the primary active ingredient of “magic mushrooms”--to alleviate anxiety and depression in cancer patients.

Journalist Michael Pollan described the work of Bossis and others in The New Yorker last year. Pollan said researchers at NYU and Johns Hopkins had overseen 500 psilocybin sessions and observed “no serious adverse effects.” Many subjects underwent mystical experiences, which consist of "feelings of unity, sacredness, ineffability, peace and joy," as well as the conviction that you have discovered "an objective truth about reality."

Pollan’s report was so upbeat that I felt obliged to push back a bit, pointing out that not all psychedelic experiences—or mystical ones--are consoling. In The Varieties of Religious Experience, William James emphasized that some mystics have “melancholic” or “diabolical” visions, in which ultimate reality appears terrifyingly alien and uncaring.

[.....]

Yet in his 1980 memoir LSD: My Problem Child, Hofmann confessed that he occasionally regretted his role in popularizing psychedelics, which he feared represent “a forbidden transgression of limits." He compared his discoveries to nuclear fission; just as fission threatens our fundamental physical integrity, so do psychedelics "attack the spiritual center of the personality, the self."

I had these concerns in mind when I attended a recent talk by Bossis near New York University. A large, bearded man who exudes warmth and enthusiasm, Bossis couldn’t reveal details of the cancer-patient study, a paper on which is under review, but he made it clear that the results were positive.

Many subjects reported decreased depression and fear of death and “improved well-being” after their session. Some called the experience among the best of their lives, with spiritual implications. An atheist woman described feeling “bathed in God’s love.”

Bossis said psychedelic therapy could transform the way people die, making the experience much more meaningful. He quoted philosopher Victor Frankl, who said, “Man is not destroyed by suffering. He is destroyed by suffering without meaning.”

Full Article:http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/psychedelic-therapy-and-bad-trips/

I love this article - just afraid that it is so clearly from a point of view like my own that it might be ignored by the mainstream, when it is incredibly important...

it was nice to see an article about psychedelics that did not mention professor Nutt. :\

anyway, i have been mentioning the inevitability of bad trips for a while but have yet to read about it in the media.

also wanted to mention that the idea of a few people in lab coats, holding clipboards, telling me to lie down so they can put an eye mask and headphones on me before administering some of the most mind altering drugs on the planet isn't what i would consider the optimal way to ensure a positive experience; although it does seem to work well in the studies thus far so perhaps i am wrong.

The MAPS people would know how it works but im pretty sure the eye mask and headphones are part of it. family members might accompany the dr's and therapists.

It says in the article. New room, they can decorate it, one researcher present.

there is a multitude of videos on youtube and there is also a website-perhaps the eye mask and headphones are used to disguise the participants... :\

Lol. Ive seen ones from the 50s like that when acid was a baby.

This is from a different study...
Psilocybin or placebo was administered at 10:00 hours. The subject was encouraged to lie in bed wearing eye shades during the first few hours as well as to put on headphones to listen to preselected music. Subjects were allowed to remain undisturbed until each hour point, when treatment staff checked to inquire how they were doing. Contact was generally brief; subjects had been advised that there would be ample opportunity after the session and in subsequent days, weeks, and months to discuss the content of the experience. During hourly check-ins, heart rate (HR) and blood pressure (BP) measurements also were taken. Noncaffeinated clear liquids or juices were permitted.

At the conclusion of the 6-hour session, subjects discussed the subjective aesthetic, cognitive, affective, and psychospiritual experiences they had during the session and completed rating instruments. Various self-report inventories and questionnaires were administered from 2 weeks prior to the first treatment session to up to 6 months after the second. Treatment team personnel maintained contact with subjects for the entire 6-month follow-up period, including regularly scheduled monthly telephone calls to update data on adverse events, concomitant medications, and evolving medical and psychological status.
http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=210962

We dont have to die though. Would require that in writing.

Sometimes I wonder about these studies. Its noble they are trying to ease suffering but with the uncertainties of death, who knows?

This is from a different study...

Contact was generally brief; subjects had been advised that there would be ample opportunity after the session and in subsequent days, weeks, and months to discuss the content of the experience.

http://archpsyc.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=210962

Priming subjects to expect a profound experience ?? 8o
After instructions like that, people might feel pretty lame to say "oh, it was pleasant, but not a big deal."
So, they are pushed to see / experience / describe what happens as profound.
This is not good science.
Can you imagine if your job was to research consumer tastes for a food company, and before you gave subjects the food to eat, you told them that they could discuss the experience with you for weeks or months after eating the food? Your data would not be reliable.

(As a huge fan of the psychedelic experience, it's not that I believe that it's not profound - some of my most amazing, life-changing experiences have involved LSD, mushrooms, mescaline, and DMT. But, as a (social) scientist, this part stood out to me.)