View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Psychedelic Hiking/Camping Safety

ForGreatScience

Bluelighter
Hello everyone, I just felt like bringing up this topic based on a recent experience and some others in the past. Sorry if there is another some thread about this, I didn't see one.

A big part of psychedelic harm reduction to me is the situations which people put themselves in where tripping. It seems like one of the thing peoples most like to do on psychedelics is go hiking in the wilderness. Which is great and can lead to some of the most incredible experiences in the world. However, one has to take some important things into consideration to ensure their safety in situations like these. This will hopefully mostly sound like common sense but I feel it needs saying.

Face it: taking several-hour-long, strenuous hikes in exposed sunlight is probably not something you do on your average day. And taking psychedelics probably isn't either. So when you combine the too of them you are bound to get an experience that is very intense for your mind and body. If you're not probably prepared for a hike (or other strenuous outdoor activity) then there are potential for things going really wrong. And it seems like too many people just don't know how to properly prepare for hikes.

First thing first: HYDRATION - Bring as much WATER on any hike as you can carry. Camelbaks and the like and great, but don't assume that just one full bladder of that will be enough water for your hike, even if it seems like a short one (many "short" hikes can be deceiving) - Throw some extra bottles in your backpack with it. Basically at LEAST twice as what you possibly think you could drink on the hike you're going on. It's easy to become dehydrated quickly without realizing it, and once you are dehydrated it is very hard to catch up.

You would think bringing water on a hike would be pretty much a no-brainer but somehow people do manage to forget to do this. I once hiked/bouldered up quite a ways in the desert with a few people (all of us having taken LSD). It wasn't until we reached a peak pretty far from our camp that we realized I was the only person to have brought any water at all. I of course shared what I had with them, but it was a stressful situation because that was water I had figured I would need myself. I stupidly assumed other people had grabbed water while we were preparing to go on the hike, but all of us were already on sort of a different level at that point so common-sense things like food/water were forgotten. Thankfully, that day everyone made it back to camp and was fine, but it's easy to see how a situation like that could have escalated to something much worse.

The lesson is that before you go on a hike, you should take care in packing a backpack of supplies you will/may need. And before you leave check with the other people in your group to ensure they are in fact prepared. On top of water you should definitely bring some food with you to nourish yourself. Sunscreen is always good - put in on before but take some with you can reapply it when you sweat that coat off. Evaluate the weather - will you need to bring a jacket? It's always good to have a basic first aid kit with you, and a flashlight/headlamp (particularly if you're starting later in the day). Basically, think ahead.

Even sometimes when you seem totally prepared though you can get yourself into a tough situation. Nature is powerful. It can and will kill you if you give it the chance.

On my last trip, a friend and I set off the hike to the top of some dunes near our campsite. It seemed like a modest hike, only a few miles. We had breakfast, and I tried to make sure to drink plenty of water in the morning to start off hydrated. Also had a pack with plenty of food and water. Then we dropped some tabs and set off. I felt like I was drinking water plentifully on the way up but it was very strenuous and I was sweating a lot. Also the come-up was making me feel a bit nauseous so I realize now that this was discouraging me from drinking as much water I really needed. I was really feeling the heat of the sun strongly, and everything was completely exposed, so sitting down didn't feel like I was resting. This made me want to just keep driving so we could get the hike over with faster, which probably pushed me too hard. Anyways, we successfully made it up the dunes and down, but by the end I was in a clearly dehydrated state, in too much distress to really enjoy the trip. Getting back to camp was a huge relief, but it took me the rest of the day of laying in camp continuously drinking water/eating to feel rehydrated/nourished/okay.

The point is, even if you think are relatively prepared and experienced you can still get yourself into some trouble - so you better be as damn prepared as you possibly can be so you can deal with respond to trouble that comes up in appropriate ways. Think ahead, and be safe out here.

There's much more to be said about other elements of safety but I'll feel like I've been typing for quite a while so I'll leave it here for now. Please feel free to add, I plan to be adding more suggestions on how to stay safe in the outdoors.

The last time I stayed up all night on acid then redosed right at dawn like a maniac was so bold as I rode my bike to this island beautiful scenery except I didn't bring any water had me worried for my life it wasn't the drug man it was taking it recklessly and not sleeping then pushing my body to the limit without water it was intense wasn't sure I would live haha but RC stuff like acid makes me think I will die too just staying home on it now have to say going out is a real danger you might enjoy while you are young or old obviously all ages take psychedelics in all times and places hope they know what they are doing unlike me would dose anytime anywhere if left to my own devices but do prefer and try to and sometimes have to stay safe indoors on heavy trips when younger i had to learn the hard way in public a few times bugging out like a diseased rat in a cage choosing the drug infused drip over the bland sobering water even though that is the only one guaranteed to come with the fewest side effects

In nature can be awesome just gotta know your body's unique limits and respect them if you insist on being active on drugs

Be very careful not to go too far off trail, or if you do, Mark your way. I have gotten severely lost. Have fun!

Be very careful not to go too far off trail, or if you do, Mark your way. I have gotten severely lost. Have fun!

The most important thing is not to panic. I once went hiking with a friend of mine that always bragged about being an eagle scout. We'd been hiking together many times and usually took LSD, mushrooms, research chemicals, or whatever else we felt like doing that day. On this particular day we got a late start waiting on someone who showed up late. We'd planned a hike with a large group and ended up going as a group of three. Myself, my friend, and a guy that had never taken LSD before.

When we got to the trail head I gave everyone their tabs making sure to dose the new guy a little lower than us. I also took a little less than I normally would because I was dealing with a newbie. We had a uneventful hike on the way up to the top of the small mountain. It started to lightly rain about halfway up but it wasn't enough to bother us. When we got to the top we were surrounded by a cloud wall so we couldn't see anything despite being thousands of feet above the surrounding land. We hung out up there for about an hour.

While we were hanging out I glanced at my watch and knew there was no way we'd be back to the trailhead before dark. Which was fine by me I had flashlights, radio, batteries, cell phone, food, water and all the usual crap I haul up the trail with me. This didn't bother me because I'd hiked in these woods many times at dark. I have/had a bad habit of going into them alone, tripping my balls off, and showing up back home around 10pm without calling. I always make it out before park closing so its never been an issue.

Except for this time. Turns out the Eagle scout with 10,000 trips under his belt is terrified of the dark. On the way back down he started to panic HARD. He would not trust me despite knowing I was the only one in our group that knew the local area. He started to question if we were going the right way despite all trails leading to the same trailhead (as I explained to him countless times and showed him on a map before setting off). He demanded that we take another trail back when we came to a fork. I told him I didn't care because both went the same way but we'd be adding at least 2 more miles to the hike. I humored him and let him lead. We went about a half a mile down that trail before he panicked again and wanted to go back. Then he freaked out a third time when I went a little ahead to find the fork we'd taken.

In his mind we were in extreme danger. In my mind I just wanted to get the fuck out of there before the ranger came looking for us. I ended up having to slap him to calm him down and explained that even if we were lost it wasn't a big deal. We could just sit under a tree until first light and continue on or wait for someone to come looking for us.

After I calmed him down and finally got him to follow my directions we made it back to our car within 30 minutes. We wasted at least an hour because he was a panicking mess. The new guy, on LSD for the first time, gave no fucks and found the entire day amusing.

My friend might have been an Eagle Scout but it was obvious he hadn't spent much time in the woods at night. Be weary of who you follow into the woods.

flashlights radios cellphones ruin the whole experience

I agree but I carry a radio and a flashlight everywhere I go. They're in the bag next to the TP and change of underwear. I'm pretty much set-up to survive where ever I might end up unexpectedly. It just became a habit years ago I never broke. I really despise cell phones. The Eagle Scout I was talking about always brought one and a bluetooth speaker. He had a bad habit of blaring bluegrass while he walked along trails until I finally snapped one day and made him turn it off. I don't walk 10 miles into the wilderness to listen to music I can hear anywhere else. Plus it's really rude to everyone that passes by.

Most people are really afraid of the night even when the moon is out. When I was a mean kid I used to talk other kids into going out into the fields at night. Once we were pretty far out I'd sneak off and watch them freak out from a hiding place. Almost everyone I did that to would instantly panic. I remember being scared of the dark/night as a kid myself but at some point it wore off and stopped bothering me. Not sure when or why. These days I spend many nights walking for miles at 2-4am so I've gotten really used to it. We don't have large predators where I live so my main fear is bumping into a skunk or spooking a deer and it running into me.

The most important thing is not to panic. I once went hiking with a friend of mine that always bragged about being an eagle scout. We'd been hiking together many times and usually took LSD, mushrooms, research chemicals, or whatever else we felt like doing that day. On this particular day we got a late start waiting on someone who showed up late. We'd planned a hike with a large group and ended up going as a group of three. Myself, my friend, and a guy that had never taken LSD before.

When we got to the trail head I gave everyone their tabs making sure to dose the new guy a little lower than us. I also took a little less than I normally would because I was dealing with a newbie. We had a uneventful hike on the way up to the top of the small mountain. It started to lightly rain about halfway up but it wasn't enough to bother us. When we got to the top we were surrounded by a cloud wall so we couldn't see anything despite being thousands of feet above the surrounding land. We hung out up there for about an hour.

While we were hanging out I glanced at my watch and knew there was no way we'd be back to the trailhead before dark. Which was fine by me I had flashlights, radio, batteries, cell phone, food, water and all the usual crap I haul up the trail with me. This didn't bother me because I'd hiked in these woods many times at dark. I have/had a bad habit of going into them alone, tripping my balls off, and showing up back home around 10pm without calling. I always make it out before park closing so its never been an issue.

Except for this time. Turns out the Eagle scout with 10,000 trips under his belt is terrified of the dark. On the way back down he started to panic HARD. He would not trust me despite knowing I was the only one in our group that knew the local area. He started to question if we were going the right way despite all trails leading to the same trailhead (as I explained to him countless times and showed him on a map before setting off). He demanded that we take another trail back when we came to a fork. I told him I didn't care because both went the same way but we'd be adding at least 2 more miles to the hike. I humored him and let him lead. We went about a half a mile down that trail before he panicked again and wanted to go back. Then he freaked out a third time when I went a little ahead to find the fork we'd taken.

In his mind we were in extreme danger. In my mind I just wanted to get the fuck out of there before the ranger came looking for us. I ended up having to slap him to calm him down and explained that even if we were lost it wasn't a big deal. We could just sit under a tree until first light and continue on or wait for someone to come looking for us.

After I calmed him down and finally got him to follow my directions we made it back to our car within 30 minutes. We wasted at least an hour because he was a panicking mess. The new guy, on LSD for the first time, gave no fucks and found the entire day amusing.

My friend might have been an Eagle Scout but it was obvious he hadn't spent much time in the woods at night. Be weary of who you follow into the woods.

That’s a good story, and one of many reasons I only trip with people I fully can count on. Thankfully I’ve only had someone go full panic mode on me once in a completely different context but otherwise I’ve been lucky.

That said I do ALOT of rolling and tripping out in nature, in fact that’s where I do most of it. Sometimes we’re so far out if something happens there’s zero chance of getting out of there in time. Hours away from home on a treacherous dirt road that’s barely driveable sober and zero service for hours in any direction type of shit.

Rule number 1. Dose accordingly. Don’t eat a 10 strip by yourself in bear country or expect to be easy food.

Rule number 2. If you leave your campsite (assuming the site is fully stocked with everything you need) make sure you bring adequate supplies to survive wherever you may get lost that night. Expect you might get lost.

Things to have… Food, water, knife, flashlight, extra clothes, a pancho (can be used to make a makeshift tent too), whistle, compass, medications, etc.

Rule number 3. Be cognizant of how all your party is doing, you may be fine enjoying that grueling hike up a steep mountain whereas another party member may be losing their shit. It’s very easy to get lost in your own head during these adventures.

That last one is how I fucked up one time.. Me, my wife n two dogs were out camping. Me and her decide to eat some LSD then go on a hike.

Alls good until we kinda snap out of it and realize we’d gone pretty damn far, then we realized we’d forgotten water. Me and her were completely fine but in our spaced out state we had neglected to be watching one of our dogs. She wasn’t doing too well from the lack of water and heat. I’m sure our LSD addled minds made her look extra haggard.

We tried to slowly return but eventually it was decided I’d run back with our other dog and drive back to get them. I ran back and then proceeded to drive this 1 lane mountain gravel road with a sketchy drop off to the river below to go get my girls.

I was able to pull it off but not exactly fun or safe driving in those conditions and lesson learned never to hike off while tripping with the doggos again.

-GC

I agree but I carry a radio and a flashlight everywhere I go. They're in the bag next to the TP and change of underwear. I'm pretty much set-up to survive where ever I might end up unexpectedly. It just became a habit years ago I never broke. I really despise cell phones. The Eagle Scout I was talking about always brought one and a bluetooth speaker. He had a bad habit of blaring bluegrass while he walked along trails until I finally snapped one day and made him turn it off. I don't walk 10 miles into the wilderness to listen to music I can hear anywhere else. Plus it's really rude to everyone that passes by.

Most people are really afraid of the night even when the moon is out. When I was a mean kid I used to talk other kids into going out into the fields at night. Once we were pretty far out I'd sneak off and watch them freak out from a hiding place. Almost everyone I did that to would instantly panic. I remember being scared of the dark/night as a kid myself but at some point it wore off and stopped bothering me. Not sure when or why. These days I spend many nights walking for miles at 2-4am so I've gotten really used to it. We don't have large predators where I live so my main fear is bumping into a skunk or spooking a deer and it running into me.
Its amazing how your eyes adjust to the darkness

Even with no moonlight as
long as Im not deep into the forest, I can see fairly well
When we werent walking down trails/two tracks all night I had a fwd tiny vw rabbit I could drive around either side of most federal forest gates and drive miles & miles with the headlights off

Skunk & deer are pretty low key as long as you don't have dogs around they would hang around us through the night when I use to camp in the Smokies

GOOD TIMES!

Last edited:
I like to not use flashlights when I’m tripping at night at a festival for the reason that I kind of enjoy being engulfed by the darkness. There’s a tactile quality to it. People are always asking if I need a light which I refuse. Only when I’m messing with drugs or stuff in the tent, or hunting ground scores do I use one.

-GC