• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Psychedelic glare from Benzodiazepines?

Methacodone

Bluelighter
Ok, this has happened to me every single time I take Benzos. I asked friends about it, and they agree that your vision on Benzos do turn more 'psychedelic'
I also re-searched a bit about it, and it seems like lots of people agree.

Not talking about hallucination and what not, it's just the glare turns more 'cartoonish'. When I first tried Benzos (back in 08), the glare was there. I was too shy/emberous because I thought they would make fun of me and start laughing lol.

The Benzo that gives me the best psychedelic glare is DEF. Alprazolam. Esp. in high doses. Lorazepam a close 2nd. But the glare is more clean (more psychedelic) in high doses.
It usually starts right after you peak, like during your 'rush'...but It seems to last all the way until the drug wears off lol. It's just more noticeable during the peak..

Do you guys here on BL experience something similar?

Ok, this has happened to me every single time I take Benzos. I asked friends about it, and they agree that your vision on Benzos do turn more 'psychedelic'
I also re-searched a bit about it, and it seems like lots of people agree.

Not talking about hallucination and what not, it's just the glare turns more 'cartoonish'. When I first tried Benzos (back in 08), the glare was there. I was too shy/emberous because I thought they would make fun of me and start laughing lol.

The Benzo that gives me the best psychedelic glare is DEF. Alprazolam. Esp. in high doses. Lorazepam a close 2nd. But the glare is more clean (more psychedelic) in high doses.
It usually starts right after you peak, like during your 'rush'...but It seems to last all the way until the drug wears off lol. It's just more noticeable during the peak..

Do you guys here on BL experience something similar?

Nobody has any idea what you're talking about. Have you even ever tried psychedelics?

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like that from any benzo.

Phenibut kind of changes my head space though. I remember my first time taking it, it felt almost MDMA like. Granted I dosed way too high. Like 3 or 4 grams. But it was crazy. Colors looked brighter and more vivid. And music appreciation was on par with most psychedelics I've used. Interesting stuff. Terribly addictive though lol

Sorry you guys for not giving more information...I was super high. Believe it or not that 2 liner post took my 30 minutes to finish it up lol.

Anyways, YES. I've tried both Shrooms and 2C-I.

I'm not saying Benzos give the same exact symptoms as Psychedelics do. I'm talking about the 'vision' glare. Like I'm in a new place or something. IT'S VERY HARD TO EXPLAIN.

For example, when im fucked up on Benzos, everything around me seems cartoonish, which I LOVE. It just makes the high more fun.

Was just wondering if anyone else experiences something similar to this.

Yes, I understand what you mean. Alprazolam to me seems to give things an odd shine and yellow things seem more ugly to me. Lorazepam brightens colours a bit and at higher doses will cause some "melting" of objects when I stare at them.

The phrase "psychedelic glare" makes me think more of ambien. Lorazepam also produces what you described, but to a lesser degree. Both meds make me super naseus......wonder if there's a connection?:?

Last edited:
In my experience people who relate benzos or Z drugs to having psychedelish effects have not experienced a full on psychedelic experience, granted this is not always the case. Or perhaps they have one too many times and are inflicting placeboish effects onto the sedatives or taking much more than a responsible dose?

^In high doses ambien definitely gets psychedelic but it also makes me sick. It's good by it's good by it's self but once in highschool I took 40mgs(I think) and drank an extract of 13 grams of morning glory and it felt something like 300ug of L. I took morning glory a lot back then too so it was definitely the ambien that kicked thing up. Anyways, I've had an unhealthy amount of true experiences and will vouch for how trippy they can be.

The phrase "psychedelic glare" makes me think more of ambien. Lorazepam also produces what you described, but to a lesser degree. Both meds make me super naseus......wonder if there's a connection?:?

Hmm, I've never heard of someone getting nauseas on Lorazepam?

You know Lorazepam is actually RX'd for severe nausea.

I had a massive overdose of ativan(15+mgs no tolerance) as a teen and lost 10 pounds due to not being able to keep anything down during its effects. Nowadays it must be psychosomatic.

In my experience people who relate benzos or Z drugs to having psychedelish effects have not experienced a full on psychedelic experience

not at all man, not placebo, not lack of full blown psychedelic experience

back when i was in juvie/detox/psych ward/wtv (already had taken shrooms, even had HPPD for a while), i complained to the psychiatrist i had insomnia and that the medication available to help me sleep took too long to kick in and would make it impossible to get out of bed the next day. he said he'd tweak it for something better.

next night, when i'm going to take my medication i notice a different pill in the middle of the whole assortment of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers that were fed to us - must be the new sleeping pill! - and i take it. mind you i did not know what med it was, i didn't expect anything. furthermore i had never heard of zolpidem. i was laying in bed and then something started to feel off, my thought process was really weird and man, something was just fucking off.

i took it the next day again and shit was so weird. this shit not only messes with your thought process (like when you're tripping) but makes you disinhibited so i had some very odd behaviour. i started not swallowing it at night and when i had 4 or so of them saved, i took all of them in one night. fuck! slight moving patterns on the wood, on the floor, reaally weird thought process and weird behaviour (not gonna get into detail but you get my drift; other dudes who were with me there confirmed i was really weird).

when my stay there was over the psychiatrist said he was gonna give me a script for that sleeping pill so i could keep taking it at home. i looked at the script and it said Zolpidem 10mg. finally i knew the name of what the fuck i was taking.

i got one box then instantly went to the doctor and got switched to clonazepam. i still ate the whole box out of curiosity and did have some really weird but interesting experiences, but in the end (perhaps just like marijuana is psychedelic to novice and non-tolerant poeple, but loses that trait forever after a while) it stopped being interesting and i'd just get manic and blackout

TL;DR i took Zolpidem without knowing it was Zolpidem and it felt a little psychedelic. not yet knowing what the med was, i took four pills and got slight visual distortions, warped thought process and weeeird behaviour. once i knew it was Zolpidem and was able to do so i experimented a lot with it and it did produce the same effects for a while, before losing the psychedelic edge and just becoming very benzodiazepine-like

I've never heard of this and in my personal experience I get the opposite effect. I've taken xanax (highest dose I've taken was 6mg), klonopin (10-12mg highest dose), and valium (can't remember dose but over 100mg) and they all make everything seem more dull, less colorful, etc. but not in a fun or interesting way. I've taken acid and shrooms and always have benzos on hand to come down from each trip. I get the "psychedelic" effect when I take Lyrica though (> 600mg dose) and every time I take a benzo with it, it makes the Lyrica effect much less interesting, colors become less vivid, etc.

i know what you mean. its not a common side effect for me, but everything can sort of look a bit far off, and i feel a little detached from reality and puzzled by what im seeing. havent done any benzos in ages! i miss them so fucking much!

i took tons of xanax as a younger teenager (started at 15) and now im having weird vision problems like things moving back and forth as if you were waving a mirror, everything has that same shimmer to it that you see when you smoke pot, and crazy high anxiety. im prescribed ativan .5mgs and when i take two of them, everything goes away and oddly im more alert, my attention is better, obviously no anxiety, and i get no feelings of depersonalization/psychosis.

I've heard that lorazepam, and only lorazepam out of all of the benzos, is psychedelic at high doses. I've never had an interest in finding out, I've only used benzos to either increase the effect of my opiods or as sleep aids.

Z-drugs, DEFINITELY can produce hallucinogenic effects in lots of people - my sister, who fortunately is not a drug addict like me, had full on visual/auditory hallucinations and delusions from one of them (Ambien I think). Her husband had to take her to the ER, as she was terrified.