• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

psych major in need of some advice about future career options

Brody5150

Bluelighter
Hi :) I'm new and trying to get my 50 in lol but I really could use some advice on my future career.

I'm about to graduate a psych tech program on December 12 (super excited!!) I plan on getting a job in an acute psych facilty asap and continue going to college. I work part time and go to school full time now so i hope i can handle it.. That job will be harder than what i do now.. Anyway, I don't want to be a psych tech forever, it's one of those jobs that drains you after a few years.

For those of you who don't know what a psych tech is, (I get asked a lot when I forget to take my badge off after school lol) It's kind of hard to explain but the best way I can explain it is, basically just think if it as a psych nurse. I have a little bit of nursing under my belt (only 1 semester) and the rest was psych and a few other things. Psych techs can work in rehabs, psych wards, acute psych facilities, prisons.. I might be forgetting some but whatever lol

All i know it's that I want to study abnormal psychology, schizophrenia is my favorite :)

I'm thinking of becoming a psychologist. But there are different options and I don't really know what they are. I didn't really find my passion for psychology till 2 years ago so I don't know what exactly it is I want to be or what schools will get me there.

I hope that's enough info to get some advice on what i can do, any help is be greatly appreciated!!

First, if you have difficulty in explaining what a psych tech is it is possible you need a better understanding yourself. What is it you do on a daily basis and how is that different from what a psych nurse does?

Are you prepared to work in high care institutions? Are you thinking more of dealing with those who have less major issues with daily life? What kinds of 'abnormal' psych get your motor running?

Schizos come in many flavours - is it the multiple personality stuff you think interesting or maybe the 'voices' types?

Asking yourself (& answering) those types of questions might help you decide what your direction is... :D

Congratulations on graduating soon! :)

So true above post, as well as working in high care institutions. If you want to go that route you might want an Lcsw.
Getting an LCSW gives you more freedom to work in various sites, doing social work or individual therapy and/or private practice.
Although, working in an institution type inpatient setting can bring a lot of compassion fatigue and burn out… But, it is rewarding.

There are many types of psychologists. It really depends, as mentioned above…. what gets you going?

Know yourself and research what population and/or type of therapy you would like to facilitate, or practice. Know your triggers, your countertransference issues and how you handle relationships and/or conflicts in your own life. In therapy, one on one or with couples you will be dealing with conflict resolution a lot… as well as transference.

Learn your background, where you came from (object relations), family of origin issues you have personally. Not that you haven't… It will just effect transference with clients/patients.
There are types of therapists: Here and now humanistic types, Carl Rogers - person Centered. Cbt, analysts, mfts, Lcsw, somatic, transpersonal (one of my favorites), clinical, developmental, grief and loss (more of a specialty, but some focus on this), Psyd, highest up a doctorate - Phd.

Working with others is indeed a window into ourselves. One can learn so much, and come up against their own complexes.

Some psychologists will work specifically with personality disorders, some will not and don't like to Pathologize much with disorders, and prefer to get to the core issues underneath the diagnosis: injury/wound/roots within the suffering individual, the 'knot' so to speak..

So many options, Good luck on your journey.

First, if you have difficulty in explaining what a psych tech is it is possible you need a better understanding yourself. What is it you do on a daily basis and how is that different from what a psych nurse does?

Are you prepared to work in high care institutions? Are you thinking more of dealing with those who have less major issues with daily life? What kinds of 'abnormal' psych get your motor running?

Schizos come in many flavours - is it the multiple personality stuff you think interesting or maybe the 'voices' types?

Asking yourself (& answering) those types of questions might help you decide what your direction is... :D

I'm gonna apologize in advance for the huge answer lol I'm very enthusiastic about this..

Lol yeah I guess it is pretty bad I can't even define what it is.. But in my defense, we do a hell of a lot and it's hard to remember it all..

A psych nurse is a psych tech. Jeez I really made myself look dumb here haha I know it's hard to believe from this bad first impression but I have very good grades in this program, I swear! lol

Ok well, a psych tech's daily duties depends on where you work. If you work with DD (developmentally disabled) clients, you're job is gonna be completely different than if you work at a psych ward or a prison. Since I'm leaning more towards psych ward or prison, I'll tell u some if my future duties in those settings.

In a psych ward, I'd take vital signs, pass out meds, talk to the clients and build up rapport with the ones that don't want to kill me, do checks (walk around with a clipboard every hour and chart where each client is and what they're doing), de-escalate angry clients, do take downs if you can't talk them out if it and the situation turns into an emergency, take the violent client into the side room (seclusion room) and possibly use restraints, though we have to try not to use them for various reasons but if we absolutely have to then we will, be on a 1 to 1 with social clients (be within arm's reach of them for 24 hours, this includes while they're in the bathroom and changing etc), charting, lots and lots of charting..

And we gotta do all this while simultaneously try to get the patients that want to kill us to think otherwise and dodge the loogies that are generally aimed at your face lol

There's more like run groups and I'm sure I'm forgetting some things but I don't want to bore you more than I probably already am lol.

I was told prison settings are safer because since we have to be therapeutic with the prisoners at all times, we're their go-to people. They like the psych techs usually, it's the guards they hate. And if someone attacks us, the ones that we have good rapport with will beat them up lol

I'm definitely ready, I've been waiting for 2 years! We have been to so many clinical sites, by our 2nd week in the program we were already walking into our first acute psych facility and that's the kind of setting I want to start off in. I'm beyond ready :)

I am fascinated by both of those. I actually got to meet someone with multiple personalities. She had a young lady, a little girl, and a mother alter. It was pretty trippy.

And I met quite a few schizos that heard voices. One of them was around my age and he was nice enough to let me administer my first antipsychotic injection. I appeared to be confident (never let the client know you're sweating!) and I did know what I was doing, but the needles are so big, they freak ME out and i was shaking a bit lol I can give insulin shots with no problem cause those needles are tiny but the ones for the antipsychotics are scary! It all turned out perfectly fine and he didn't even seem to notice when I practically stabbed him with that giant thing lol

I know they're not all gonna be that nice lol and he was already med compliant for a while so he appeared to be "normal" (for lack of a better word). I also have a friend in real life that has schizophrenia, he has both visual and auditory hallucinations though he never wants to tell me about them so I'm assuming they're really bad..

I can't wait! It's officially midnight so technically my last day of class is tomorrow!! :D

Last edited:
Congratulations on graduating soon! :)

So true above post, as well as working in high care institutions. If you want to go that route you might want an Lcsw.
Getting an LCSW gives you more freedom to work in various sites, doing social work or individual therapy and/or private practice.
Although, working in an institution type inpatient setting can bring a lot of compassion fatigue and burn out… But, it is rewarding.

There are many types of psychologists. It really depends, as mentioned above…. what gets you going?

Know yourself and research what population and/or type of therapy you would like to facilitate, or practice. Know your triggers, your countertransference issues and how you handle relationships and/or conflicts in your own life. In therapy, one on one or with couples you will be dealing with conflict resolution a lot… as well as transference.

Learn your background, where you came from (object relations), family of origin issues you have personally. Not that you haven't… It will just effect transference with clients/patients.
There are types of therapists: Here and now humanistic types, Carl Rogers - person Centered. Cbt, analysts, mfts, Lcsw, somatic, transpersonal (one of my favorites), clinical, developmental, grief and loss (more of a specialty, but some focus on this), Psyd, highest up a doctorate - Phd.

Working with others is indeed a window into ourselves. One can learn so much, and come up against their own complexes.

Some psychologists will work specifically with personality disorders, some will not and don't like to Pathologize much with disorders, and prefer to get to the core issues underneath the diagnosis: injury/wound/roots within the suffering individual, the 'knot' so to speak..

So many options, Good luck on your journey.

Thank you!!!!

Yeah I was warned about that burn out.. I really hope that never happens to me, we were told it's hard to get out of.. :/

Thank you for letting me know about those options, those are the kind of things I need to figure out and find which one suits me best.. I have no idea which direction to turn to lol I gotta spend a few days on google and figure it out.

What really gets me going is all those major mental disorders!! :) pretty much anything under axis 1 lol

My sister has bipolar 1 and mild schizophrenia. My aunt has bipolar 1 and full blown schizophrenia.. They're the reason I find it so fascinating, my sister used to tell me about the shadows, the voices.. I'd soak it all up and I would actually wish I was schizophrenic lol but my aunt is much worse.. Now that I'm older I don't wish that anymore.. I know it's really sad and I can't imagine how horrible it must feel to be in their shoes.

I got to experience a virtual hallucination machine that a drug rep from Invega brought for us to try so we can have some insight on what it's like to be in their shoes. It was very interesting, by far one of the top 5 highlights of the program ^.^

Definitely don't want to work with personality disorders lol our lecture on borderlines was basically "you'll know who's a borderline before they're even diagnosed. They're the ones you want to punch in the face" lol

I know I need to work on myself a lot.. I have a ton of insecurities, have experienced transference more than once (still don't know how to deal with that :( ) and I think I have enough issues to be considered a patient lol on top of that, I'm an addict and have no idea how I'm gonna quit using to get my career started but I know I have to. I've been putting it off for the last 2 years that I've been in the program. I have a ton of work ahead of me and I'm exhausted just thinking about it lol

Thanks again! You've been a big help!

Wow!
A virtual hallucination machine? I didn't know those existed, would love to try that one day. You seem to have much experience already. Awesome!
Mental Illness, drug abuse and suicide runs in my family. My roommate's mom has Axis I schizophrenia.. unsure of exact type though. I went into the jails before but not prisons. In myself and in observing groups.

An instructor of mine used to go into prison's and work with psychopaths. He was fascinating. Did groups for a long time.

Being in therapy in my 20s helped me a lot …. not just for myself but to have the experience of therapy itself. Anyways, it seems you have such an exciting life and passion for your interests. Enjoy the work that lies ahead of you!

Best,
Smoky

You guys probably don't care but I'm gonna share anyway cause I'm so excited and want to tell the world!! ^.^

lol I got 108/120 on my final and a 87% in the class which was the 3rd highest grade in the class, no one got an A (no one has in the last couple semesters) lol it's a really hard course.. #1 in the state of California :)

Next step is state boards and then my very first REAL job that I'll actually like.. No more caregiver or personal assistant BS lol i can't stand my current job..

Hey hey Brody,

Big ups … Congratulations, Huge accomplishment!

:)

Most psychological research is used by corporations and government to control us. it is based on arbitrary torture.

i took down my shingle. won't hang it up again

Hi Smoky, I am also in school pursuing my Master's in Psychology with a concentration in Addiction Psychology. If Abnormal Psychology is what interests you, then that's what you do. I am interested in multiple areas of psychology, but what will get me moving with no pay, my passion, is addiction, because I was bred in it and I can relate to others from my experiences. Do what motivates, and moves you. Be of Good Courage,GodSpeed.

So true, don't absorb the toxic energy.

@ Nnonovia,
I was as well, programmed into it, especially the dysfunction.. It was the maladaptive norm in my family… That's really great you are pursuing what interests you… Follow your bliss! <3
Godspeed!
Smoky :)