View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Psilocybin and SSRI's/trazadone .. mushrooms won't work

Josephine_Morphine

Greenlighter
The last time I tried psyilocybin was when I was taking trazadone to sleep, and vilazadone for depression. I could not get any more than just a mild glow. No good effects even with a higher dose of like 5 grams. Which of the two are blocking the mushrooms? both ? Should I ask my doctor to discontinue both so I can explore an option that just mite help me? They , other than help me sleep, do nothing and I'm tired of the failure in using shrooms. I need some help and SSRI's just suck

Second question, is that of using salvia. I know it works off of the kappa opioid receptor right? Will it have any interactions with trazadone and/or Viibryd ( vilazadone ) ? Bad or good. It's the only option I can think of to try until I can get my meds adjusted so that I'm not on things that block serotonin

edit: What about DMT, I see DMT vapes are available, will SSRI's / trazadone make it not work or make it dangerous in any way?

Last edited:
The last time I tried psyilocybin was when I was taking trazadone to sleep, and vilazadone for depression. I could not get any more than just a mild glow. No good effects even with a higher dose of like 5 grams. Which of the two are blocking the mushrooms? both ? Should I ask my doctor to discontinue both so I can explore an option that just mite help me? They , other than help me sleep, do nothing and I'm tired of the failure in using shrooms. I need some help and SSRI's just suck

Second question, is that of using salvia. I know it works off of the kappa opioid receptor right? Will it have any interactions with trazadone and/or Viibryd ( vilazadone ) ? Bad or good. It's the only option I can think of to try until I can get my meds adjusted so that I'm not on things that block serotonin

edit: What about DMT, I see DMT vapes are available, will SSRI's / trazadone make it not work or make it dangerous in any way?

I'm actually bad at treating people like this, so I won't even try.

But you seem serious about treating depression, so we're here to help.

Have you thought about ketamine? It's a harder drug than mushrooms, but has good potential. I guess my real question is, are you the sort of person who's good at moderation?

Let me see if our resident biologist might know something. @Skorpio

Last edited:
i often hear anti-depressants stop a person from tripping, not sure about trazodone, but if you are using it for sleep, you might not have to take that long off it to get a mushroom trip. i'm not sure if that's bad to do in any way, but i'd think you would need a few weeks off anti-depressants. i'm sure some one else knows more about this than i do...

salvia i read on the net actually has no "Trip killers" like pharm drugs that will stop the trip. i'm on a low dose anti-psychotic injection at the moment and salvia definitely worked like it did when i wasn't on meds that i tried recently... but salvia is a whole different world compared to shrooms. i'd really research what you are getting yourself into if you haven't cause it's something you want to be prepared for.... not really like mushrooms unless a person were to like totally over dose on mushrooms, which is really rare cause it's hard to eat that much or people just generally don't feel the need to do that... but salvia is like being sent to a different place, like a dream of colors and it's really easy to loose touch with your life, like you may end up for a minute when you get back being kind of shocked and uncertain what reality is.. gravity can get really weird if you don't break through, and if you do break through expect to feel really weird, people feel all different ways, some people claim they get ripped to shreds some how... i usually feel like i'm being crushed by colors and it can be kiind of scary.. i've had all sorts of different trips. but it usually doesn't feel very good. there are a lot of trip reports to read online.. salvia and dmt are probably the most insane drugs a person can do unless they were going to do a super heroic dose of acid or shrooms or something like that, if a person does that it will probably last longer... salvia really only lasts for a few seconds to a couple minutes, but what is seconds will feel like several minutes and sometimes longer. time really gets weird on salvia. some people claim to feel like they were gone for eternity when they get back, and it's possible this could affect a person's mental health... people don't usually enjoy a salvia trip either. it's just something that if you want to experieince a really strong dream like state and you have to know that it can be scary. i hear some people say they enjoy it time after time, but that's not as common. i enjoyed it my first time because it was such a rush, but after that i kind of got a lot of scary feelings and emotions while seeing some really cool colors.

i'm not sure how anti-depressants work for sleeping, or if you used to be depressed, but shrooms can cause some depression while on them or after.. although a lot of people claim to get anti-depressant effects too. it's just really where your heads at. if you say you are at the point where the pills are just helping you for sleep, you might know yourself. i might wait to take the shrooms till you see how it feels to be off anti-depressants though if you once did have depression. if i'm just assuming stuff. please ignore... mostly just thought i'd inform you about salvia if you thought it was a mushroom substitute... i hear dmt can be a more enjoyable trip even though that's not the case for everyone, but i think that might be in the class of drugs as shrooms and acid that have pharm drugs that kill the trips.

salvia has a weird body high when you get back to reality too if you do "break through"... it's like an unenjoyable stoned feeling imo, like i love how weed feels, but when i get back from salvia, i find it to be like weed gone wrong, and that lasts from anywhere from a few minutes of being in reality again to a couple of hours... that's my experieince anyways. i've heard others say the same. some people on reddit claim they feel fine or enjoy the feeling of getting back from salvia... just be prepared for some weird physical feeling though. i felt so bad and was so shocked from the trip the first time that i did it that i was actually considering going to the hospital... no ones ever died from the effects of salvia though. people have jumped out windows or wrecked their stuff in videos i've seen, but i've videoed myself and i normally just sit there. i guess it depends on the person.

I was on Spravato a year or so ago, lost my Rx because I popped dirty for benzos ( so pissed at myself for that ) , I'm finding that getting my own ketamine is very hard. Other than DNM's I can't find a source. Paying a doctor for ketamine is way to expensive ( meaning infusions ) Just not willing to be bent over like that. 3k for one infusion???

Salvia is illegal in my state so I guess I can't order it from clear net stores ( genuinely irritated and fucking pissed ) , I had one experience with salvia leaf. it was good. Laws be damned, if you sell salvia, fucking ship it to all states ffs. !

If I had ketamine, there's no way I would abuse it. Too scared of all the side effects. I need my bladder to work well. Once per week is too much? How often can one use k. and not have bodily harm or bladder problems, or IC?

Other than my possible need to sleep no matter what, there's really no need for me to be taking antidepressants . I fucked up and took one valium three weeks or so ago, and I'm still pissing dirty for it! I have an appt . on the 2nd of April to get my ketamine back, I don't know what to do. Maybe put my appt. off till I can piss clean? Got so fed up i threw my benzos out. I have none now. Ketamine is what I desire, but it's elusive. I'm tired of this battle with "laws" and availability of psychedelics, cost, "don't' ship to my state" , doctor won't do shit because mite lose his license...I'm just sick and frustrated, but the red tape can go to Hell. I have no idea how to use crypto or order from DNM's

If my doc won't start Spravato again, I'm going off Anti Deprresants and onto shrooms. or Ketamine if I decide to try to order K. via Abacus market, having that shit mailed to me though, scary thought. I have anxiety disorder and just thinking of having that shit in the mail gives me the horrors

Last edited:
Trazodone will block psychedelics a lot more than typical SSRIs, since trazodone is an SARI. It is a 5-HT2 serotonin antagonist. It's sort of half way between an SSRI and an antipsychotic. It was originally designed and marketed as an antipsychotic.

I'm actually bad at treating people like this, so I won't even try.

But you seem serious about treating depression, so we're here to help.

Have you thought about ketamine? It's a harder drug than mushrooms, but has good potential. I guess my real question is, are you the sort of person who's good at moderation?

Let me see if our resident chemist might know something. @Skorpio
agree that psycs will be blocked by ssris and especially trazodone (it is a 5ht2a antagonist).

Salvia should have no dangerous/trip-preventing interactions with your meds, as it only indirectly interacts with serotonin neurons (downstream of the kappa antagonism). Ketamine is also compatible with those, so definately keep your head in there.

I'm no chemist though, I either tell people im a cell biologist or pharmacologist as both are equally true and misleading.

agree that psycs will be blocked by ssris and especially trazodone (it is a 5ht2a antagonist).

Salvia should have no dangerous/trip-preventing interactions with your meds, as it only indirectly interacts with serotonin neurons (downstream of the kappa antagonism). Ketamine is also compatible with those, so definately keep your head in there.

I'm no chemist though, I either tell people im a cell biologist or pharmacologist as both are equally true and misleading.
Well, I'm on prozac and I can still trip on mushrooms, but I do feel that the trip's effects are most likely significantly dulled in comparison to what a shroom trip could otherwise feel like. However, I have no point of comparison cause I've fucking been on prozac since I was 14 and I never tripped before that. It did initially help with OCD type symptoms I was suffering from, but I don't know if it still helps me or not. It's hard to say cause I take a low dose of Klonopin for those same issues. I REALLY want to get off prozac so I can use all the much more effective psychedelics for my anxiety and depression, but I honestly don't know if it's possible after nearly 30 years of being on it. It would certainly have to be VERY slowly tapered.

I feel the OP's pain as far as wanting to use certain psychedelics for relief from depression and anxiety but not being able to. I am going to most likely get low-dose ketamine lozenages and oxytocin therapy from my therapist. I think actually mixing in therapy would make a difference, and I am being told it's safe to do at such a lower dose and a limited number of times.

@Mycophile I was in talk therapy for years and I realized all of a sudden that to me, it was bullshit, triggering, and did not help in any way. So I stopped. I realize it must help
some

"but I don't know if it still helps me or not" I feel the same, I think when you get to the point of saying " I dunno if this helps " then it probably doesn't

Do you have to take a higher dose of shrooms to trip, or can you take a normal dose? Thanks for the input

@Mycophile I was in talk therapy for years and I realized all of a sudden that to me, it was bullshit, triggering, and did not help in any way. So I stopped. I realize it must help
some

"but I don't know if it still helps me or not" I feel the same, I think when you get to the point of saying " I dunno if this helps " then it probably doesn't

Do you have to take a higher dose of shrooms to trip, or can you take a normal dose? Thanks for the input
Yeah, but you are just talking about "talk therapy," and my current therapist can do a lot more than that, though we haven't got into most modalities. There's all kinds of things therapists can teach. Some of what she does includes: breathing exercises, EMDR, Ketamine and Oyxtocin assisted therapy, tapping, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. And even "talk therapy" can be helpful at times for me if I really need someone to listen or certain types of more practical advice.

As far as shrooms, hard to say because I've never taken more than 4 grams, but it also varies. Like, my 2nd to last trip I took 4 grams spaced out and had a pretty good trip with some visuals, but then the last one I took all 4 at once and I was just in a bad headspace and it made much MORE depressed and I got no visuals. I think that probably other people trip harder on the amount that I take, but honestly I'm not sure.

I have heard many reports from people who can’t trip while on SSRIs and/or trazodone. I have heard some reports of people who can. I suspect that there are multiple factors involved like which SSRI, and what dose and for how long, etc.