• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

pseudoephedrine helps ADHD, depression, and anxiety. What can substitute?

jeep38

Greenlighter
I have been self medicating with pseudoephedrine for years off and on, it helps me with my focus and anxiety.
My Dr and I have gone thru lots of other medications: adderall, strattera, ritalin, and even tried some antidepressants like prozac and trintellix and wellbutrin and nothing works like pseudoephedrine does. adderall is close but it tends to increase my anxiety where pseudoephedrine seems like it decreases it. Strattera really feels very simular but I get horrible sexual side effects from it and it fucks with my sleep.
Everything I have read states pseudoephedrine is much less potent than adderall, and pseudoephedrine works LESS on the CNS, so why does it help me more?
does anyone have any idea what would be going on with the mechanism? one paper said pseudo acted as a triple reuptake inhibitor.
im trying to find something I can take besides pseudoephedrine.

Why do you not want to take it anymore if it works so well?

It is definitely surprising to me that it does work that well, I do get, though, the lack of side effects, stimulants can have quite a few side effects.

Honestly, you're unlikely to find anything with less side effects than a drug that doesn't even have any noticeable effects of any kind except for nasal decongestion, for most people. Why mess with what works?

If something is not broken and seems to work well...why try to fix it...just a thought.So many ppl struggle with side effects from their meds ...mate you hit gold ...why its working so well dont matter....it works for you .Dont poke the bear unecessarily.

Last edited:
people keep telling me I cannot take it for a long time and it will cause damage to my heart is why I have been trying to find something else. I have literally spent the past 10 months bouncing from medication to medication and have not had much success.
I was thinking about seeing an ENT to maybe rule out something with my sinus going on or inner ear and that is why it helps so much. Plus it bothers me no medical professional I see can pinpoint why it helps so much. There is no placebo going on, it is repeatable and consistent with outcome.

Last edited:
My knowledge is rather limited hopefully someone with more insight can steer you in the right direction .All the best

Very odd that pseudophedrine works for you. It usually has worse side effects and weaker desired effects for most.

Did you try increasing or decreasing your dose of Adderall? Maybe try Dexedrine? If you try every dose of all the available meds and they all weirdly don’t work as well as pseudophedrine, then you might as well stick with it.

What doses of pseudoephedrine were you taking? Perpahs carphedon might help you, it Is another mild stimulant.

I have been self medicating with pseudoephedrine for years off and on, it helps me with my focus and anxiety.
My Dr and I have gone thru lots of other medications: adderall, strattera, ritalin, and even tried some antidepressants like prozac and trintellix and wellbutrin and nothing works like pseudoephedrine does. adderall is close but it tends to increase my anxiety where pseudoephedrine seems like it decreases it. Strattera really feels very simular but I get horrible sexual side effects from it and it fucks with my sleep.
Everything I have read states pseudoephedrine is much less potent than adderall, and pseudoephedrine works LESS on the CNS, so why does it help me more?
does anyone have any idea what would be going on with the mechanism? one paper said pseudo acted as a triple reuptake inhibitor.
im trying to find something I can take besides pseudoephedrine.

What paper said that? It is a norepinephrine releasing agent mostly (and epinephrine-like pro-adrenergic). Negligible dopaminergic or serotonergic properties

No need to stop taking it. It seems to be less toxic than it's cousin ephedrine. Unless of course you are consuming large amounts. Probably wouldn't want to consume more than maybe 90mg a day or so.

I recall my very first experience with Pseudoephedrine when I was 15. I got it directly from taking Sudafed that I was able to score at a pharmacy for my "fever". I was with some friends at the park and we'd chugged down a few litres of Cider. I vaguely recall laying flat out on the chute sparking deep philosophical discussions in a state of warm fuzzy euphoria.

It was one of those unique experiences that you simply never get to relive again.

What paper said that? It is a norepinephrine releasing agent mostly (and epinephrine-like pro-adrenergic). Negligible dopaminergic or serotonergic properties

No need to stop taking it. It seems to be less toxic than it's cousin ephedrine. Unless of course you are consuming large amounts. Probably wouldn't want to consume more than maybe 90mg a day or so.
There was another post on here saying the hydroxyl group on pseudoephedrine is what makes it hard on the body when that is removed

Desoxyn is basically the same molecule structure except it has a methyl group and no hydroxyl group. Do you think this would be worth a shot?
I’ve tried dexadrine and it just makes me feel loopy

Desoxyn is methamphetamine. Surprised someone would prescribe it. It's much worse for your heart than psuedoephdrine, although at a low dose it's not all that bad.