• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prozac and stimulants

Narr0w

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,
I friend of mine got on Fluoxetine 20mg (Prozac) by her doctor cause past episodes of depression and actual low mood problems.
She isn't a heavy drugs user and she never rush for the effect of them, quite responsible I would say.
But still for some nights out she would like to take some stimulants to stay more awake, MD is not an option anymore cause the well-known combination problems.
We did some research about Speed and Mephedrone but they don't look quite safe to mix, unfortunately there is no clear evidence of the problems they might cause so we would like to hear an opinion on these 2 or any other drug you suggest.
Of course the plan is to take less and see how it goes, but we would like to know what she can try more safely then others.

Thanks in advance.

You can safely mix SSRI with amphetamines, I'm on Sertraline 200mg a day and I take phet. All it does is make your pupils dilate more

Avoid Mephedrone with SSRI's, as Mephedrone is quite serotonergic. The same thing goes for all MDXX compounds.

Dopaminergic stimulants like amphetamine works just fine with SSRI's.

As far as I can tell, based upon my research and my own physical experience, there's nothing overtly dangerous about combining stimulants like Amphetamines with SSRI's like Fluoxetine (Prozac). There is one issue that you may or may not encounter though; diminished effect from stimulants. I and others I've observed and spoken with seem to experience a slightly diminished intensity when using Amphetamines while undergoing SSRI therapy. I'm not saying that the Amphetamine is blocked or inactive, but there is a noticeable reduction in the intensity of the experience. I'm sure that this becomes more pronounced when higher dosages of SSRI's are involved, but seeing as how you are only on 20mg Fluoxetine (a typical starting dose), I wouldn't expect the effect to be very severe.

But, to answer your original question, there shouldn't be any serious issue so long as you are using the stimulants in a reasonable fashion.

in extreme cases there are reports of serotonin syndrome, but it doesn't seem like you would be in that situation as you'd have to be taking massive amounts and/or mixing with other uppers
but the real issue here is if you genuinely need your anti-depressant medication then taking stimulants can really interfere with your recovery