View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Prozac and DXM

evan_venom

Greenlighter
I am currently on Fluoxetine hydrochloride 20 mg per day and i was wondering if it was safe to trip on robutussin. I have previously done 2 full bottles of dxm that have added up to 708 mg of dxm. I have heard of serotonin syndrome and i was just wondering if i should not do this again. I was with a friend and we both felt like we were gonna die just cause it was so overwhelming. I also ended up throwing up. It felt so good after the death feeling went away and i really enjoyed the trip. With this information i have given. What would be the likely amount of dxm to kill me. I have heard stories of people who are prescribed 60 mg of prozac and took 2000 mg of dxm and have not died but got serotonin syndrome. Thanks for any replies.

No, just no. Absolutely not. If you are on an anti-depressant, which you are, and Prozac happens to be an SSRI by the way (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), DO NOT mess around with DXM. Serotonin syndrome is serious. In fact, there's a post in the shrine on here about a guy who took DXM with Effexor along with Lyrica and passed away. We'd like to see you alive and well.

You should not do this again. If you're absolutely going to, stop your Prozac use at least a week before using DXM. But, I think your mental health comes before tripping on cough medicine. That's just my opinion. Even low doses of the two can give you serotonin syndrome; and it isn't a very comfortable way to leave the world. Leave the DXM alone until you're off of any SSRI's.

Anecdotes of people who did something and got away with it are a terrible argument to do something, that some people survive bad dangerous things does not make them safe.

And no drug effect is worth intentionally risking your life. Combinations like this cannot be controlled - the interaction and potentiation are unpredictable and even some influence of a random thing you ate on your liver's enzymes could make a significant difference.
So don't combine them at any dose whatsoever, never mind what you read of survivors.

Please first get experience with reasonable things, get older wiser and seasoned... that would be the least. Don't dream of skirting edges when you just got your driver's license. Not that I think one should attempt this at any age, but am commenting on your ability to judge something like this, your presumption to be able to calculate it.

Anecdotes of people who did something and got away with it are a terrible argument to do something, that some people survive bad dangerous things does not make them safe.

^ This. I also mixed DXM with SSRIs back in the 1990s when it wasn't common knowledge that the combination can be deadly. And I was on 40 mg citalopram (the maximum dose of that medication). Never got any kind of serotonin syndrome symptoms, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen to you or someone else and lead to death. Even if the risk were only 1 percent, or even 0.1 percent, it's still a massively larger risk than anyone with any common sense would take to be able to get high on any drug. As a comparison, jumping from an aeroplane with a parachute carries only a 0.001% risk of death, if you have the sufficient training for that activity.

Last edited: