• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Proposed new drug legislation

How do you start a new campaign topic on their website? Would be funny if someone started a "Ban all native plants campaign" and it got thousands of votes.

i couldnt help it and told them i grow poppies, cannabis and everything else just because why should a plant be illegal. And if cannabis is more effective than addictive oxycontin etc why the fuck cant i vape it (didnt use swearing just called them mentally challenged)

Australia proposes ban on 1000s of Plants including national flower....

Legislation being proposed in Australia would criminalize most permaculturists, farmers, gardeners, nurseries and bush regenerators by banning any plant that contains DMT – a naturally-occurring hallucinogen. Five plants are currently criminalized, but the new list will include hundreds (possibly thousands) of other species that are common garden plants and include a significant number of common native plants including the national flower, the wattle. [Image: Australia's National Flower, Acacia pycnantha]

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/australia-bans-nature/

Garden Freedom is leading a campaign to block the legislation. The public is urged to contact the Minister for Justice, the Hon Brendan O’Connor MP with comments at [email protected] by March 11.

See instructions here:

Thanks Amazed will check it out.

Should add that is time slot for vic nsw and tas. Wa 3pm W/NT 5pm

Hey everyone, if you haven't done anything about this yet then now is the time to act. Submissions to the Minister of Justice close tomorrow:

Public comment is welcome on the issues outlined in the discussion paper.

If you would like to make a submission, please forward your submission no later than 11 March 2011 to [email protected] . Please contact the Criminal Law and Law Enforcement Branch at this email address if you are experiencing difficulty accessing the documents.

All submissions received will be considered by the Attorney-General’s Department. Submissions and comments will not be published on the website, but may be reproduced in part or in whole and may be included in a report on this consultation, unless otherwise requested.

http://www.ag.gov.au/www/agd/agd.ns...ugschedulesforCommonwealthseriousdrugoffences

See also: http://opendecisions.net/opendecisions/

It's a cat and mouse game. It's the war on drugs. The government is making laws stricter and this is probably because of what is going on with JWH. JWH can change the molecules of the spice and still get people high. The JWH compound is just renamed when it is deemed illegal. Government can't ban every spice. Instead, they ban certain things that we enjoy and appreciate (or get high on). It's gonna get worse and they aren't going to give in. They are too busy puffing their chests out and trying to show them who the boss is. They can do this because they are the law and they don't give a damn what the general public thinks about it. As long as you try to beat them, they will come back at you twice as hard, even if it means doing something utterly pointless. I'd imagine that other drugs, such as cocaine started out this way. Seriously, some of the JWH compounds that are illegal are a class 1 felony. That's the same as getting busted with crack.

Why can't we just pass laws as a group after careful debating and research?

Government Moves to Illegalise MORE plants!!

Considering DMT is found in nearly ALL living things, this is setting a VERY DANGEROUS PRECEDENT... the precedent of being able to illegalise actual living things.

Article below...

Government moves to illegalise more plants

Author:
Liz Cush
Posted:
Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Walking down King Street, Newtown, on weekend nights, it’s not that unusual for a shady character to pop out from behind a corner and whisper, “You want some goee? You want some trips?” But “You want Khat? Datura? Wattle?” Not in my neck of the woods.

Yet the Federal Government is concerned about these plants being sold as hallucinogenic drugs and is considering adding them to the list of illegal plants. Five plants are already considered illegal under Australian law – marijuana, the coca plant, opium poppies, salvia (Diviner’s Sage) and kratom. Soon certain species of native Australian wattle that contain trace amounts of a psychoactive chemical called DMT could be added to the list. And it doesn’t stop there.

Other plants that may soon be illegal are Angel’s Trumpets, cacti that contain mescaline, and ephedra plants.

Last week, the closing date passed for submissions to the Federal Attorney General’s Department regarding proposed changes to Commonwealth serious drug offences, including an expanded list of controlled plants.

In typical Facebook style, while 94 people committed to attend a Rally for the Rights of Plants at Martin Place last Sunday, only a few bothered to turn up in real life. For the garden freedom protesters, there were no boring chants but instead a rapper freestyled in defence of criminalised plants. He was backed by a bunch of musicians, while others got to work spreading the word to the public.

National Organisation for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) activist Serkan Ozturk said prohibition has never worked and it is ludicrous to criminalise people based on their preference for plants.

“We are hoping there will be common sense, that the Attorney General will see there is no need to criminalise plants. Police don’t report huge numbers of people with DMT issues or people robbing service stations high on DMT so where this criminal perspective comes from, I ‘d like to say god only knows, but I’m an atheist, so I can’t,” Serkan said.

“Most people don’t even know about the compound DMT at all but if this law passes, your backyard could be illegal, and you won’t know it.”

The DMT compound is found in the plants used by South American shamans to make the ayahuasca brew for hallucinogenic trips. NORML believes it should be a matter of personal choice to take mind-altering drugs and not an issue of law enforcement.

“People around the world are interested in mind manifestation,” Serkan said.

“It comes down to a personal and civil liberties issue. There is enough research to show that people don’t become evil on this, they don’t become criminal. Legislating on this seems to be another move of a class that thinks writing down laws will solve problems.”

“If people want to remove their pain by a psychedelic trip once every three months, why should we make their lives more painful by throwing them in jail?”

One activist pointed out that Leonardo Da Vinci and Michelangelo would both be facing serious jail time for their use of syrian rue, with one gram equivalent to one kilogram of heroin under the proposed laws.

There is a lovely Angel’s Trunpet tree with fragrant bell-shaped flowers in front of my old house down the street from Newtown library. I wouldn’t recommend making a tea from those flowers, and in fact under this new legislation it would be not only unpleasant, but also illegal.

As Serkan added, “They’re trying to get rid of you even inadvertently having those plants.”

He admitted that it was not an easy issue to mobilise people on. “It’s hard to get people out to talk about drugs because people are concerned about having trouble with their family, police or work,” Serkan said.

While the first garden freedom rally was small, it’s not the last.

http://www.altmedia.net.au/government-moves-to-illegalise-more-plants/32863

Good on the people for protesting but it annoys me a little how people that support causes that I beleive in so often seem to go out of their way to alienate the average person who they are, ironically, trying to win over.

The atheist comment in this article is a good example: "I ‘d like to say god only knows, but I’m an atheist, so I can’t,” Serkan said.

Thats so random and unnecessary. While I agree with him 100% I also think saying:

“People around the world are interested in mind manifestation,” Serkan said. “It comes down to a personal and civil liberties issue. There is enough research to show that people don’t become evil on this, they don’t become criminal. Legislating on this seems to be another move of a class that thinks writing down laws will solve problems.”

Isnt the best tactic. The best approach for these particular laws is to focus on the common sense argument that its stupid and will hurt gardeners etc not that we should be allowed to get high from the plants.

Maybe this is a situation where the pro-drug lobby will do more harm than good and we should leave it to the cactus socities and nurseries to argue against the laws?

This is utterly ridiculous, and has absolutely no purpose what-so-ever.

Yes DMT will get you high, but is it a dangerous chemical like alcohol or tobacco that will lead you to harm and addiction? No.

It seems that anything that makes you see cool colors is instantly a threat to the State. :X

*bump*

Does anyone know if anything happened with the proposed changes to plant law reforms in this thread?

I'm heading overseas soon and some friends are baby-sitting my cacti. I certainly wouldn't want to give them anything illegal.

http://www.gardenfreedom.com/ - I can't see any updates on this page and it was the one I used to keep up to date on things.