• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacology Promising substituted tryptamines? (as future medicines)

This thread contains discussion about a Pharmacology-related topic

Vesicle

Bluelighter
If psilocybin becomes legalized for medical use in the wider world, how long do you think it will be before a substance from TiHKAL is adopted as a me-too drug? E.g. patient isnt responding to psilocybin treatment, lets try metocin this time around.

Not saying it has to be from TiHKAL but, are there any other tryptamines with novel antidepressant effects? I understand that most psychedelics, at least anecdotally, have antidepressant effects. I just wonder if any scientific studies focus on substituted tryptamines for this use, rather than solely psilocybin. I'm (very optimistically) imagining a future where the wide variety of SSRIs, SNRIs, etc. are replaced by a family of tryptamines (and even some phenethylamines).

I know this is some very wishful thinking, but it would be cool to see the gradual adoption of psychedelic tryptamines as the go-to antidepressants. And it would be cool to see some of the research chemicals become full-fledged approved treatment options.

I am mainly looking for scientific journals/articles but anecdotal experiences are welcomed!

Such a patent has been undertaken, What I find interesting is that someone of these compounds are chiral with quite different actions. Using AMT as a prototype, one isomer is a 5HT2a ligand (trippy) while the other is a serotonin releaser. Actually, 7,alpha dimethyl tryptamine is likewise chiral but it's x10 more potent as a serotonin releaser so a low dose of an enantiomeretiched version could induce neuronal plasticity AND release a lot of serotonin.

Patents exist and have been posted here on BL.