• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Promethazine and Codeine and low dose SSRI, Worried About Serotonin Syndrome

yteek

Bluelighter
Over the years, I've taken hundreds to thousands of ounces or promethazine and codeine or tussionex, usually high doses. No real issues.

To my understanding, Tussionex abuse can cause serotonin sydrome on its own merit and I've taken crazy doses of that.

Now, I'm taking 10mgs of Celexa for two weeks, and I plan on taking six ounces of promethazine and codeine. No more, Tussionex knowing the higher risk for serotonin syndrome.

Should I be overly worried?

Opiates and SSRI's can cause the syndrome, adderall and ssris can cause the syndrome, all commonly prescribed combos.

I view phenegan like an old school psychotic which is weaker and also prescribed with SSRIs.

So, should I be pressed?

some opioids and ssris can cause SS, afaik straight opiates themselves don't cause it?
for instance, an opioid such as Tramadol or pethidine may cause SS in conjunction with an ssri but an opiate like codeine or heroin wouldn't.

i'm unsure as to whether you need to be worried about the prometh and Celexa but - and i could be wrong so please wait for confirmation from someone else here - but i don't think you need worry about codeeine triggering SS. again, i'm a bit foggy about all this but pretty sure that's whats up.

and yeah, pretty sure we lost a BLer a few years ago to combinations of DXM, Lyrica and an ssri; SS's no joke bro - smart of you to come here and check if you're safe. :)

I know I have way less to worry about then my use with Tussionex, which that alone has a risk for SS. I absolutely pushed the limit, so I think this is way less riskier.

Who knows? I know DXM is a no no, but like I said phenergan acts as an anti psychotic, common combo with ssri's. Hopefully I don't die.

Assumptions, hope for the best.

never assume; it makes an ass of u and me.
but for real - please wait for more information before you go taking your life in your hands man.

Well, hopefully more educated post come about. I don't want just " NOOOO DON'T DO IT", I want some real education on the topic.

No disrespect to you, appreciate the response.

exactly, and i'm in no way telling you to not do it - simply just to wait a bit til we get some, as you mentioned, educated opinions on these potentially dangerous combos
no worries, its what we're here for man

Opiates/opioids don't generally cause serotonin syndrome, no.
Tramadol does, but that is because it also acts as an SNRI, and opioid-tolerant people can easily reach serotonin syndrome territory with the doses needed to provide a recreational opioid buzz.

Promethazine may potentiate SSRI's by inhibiting certain liver enzymes; however, you'd probably need a fairly extreme amount to potentiate 10 mg's of Celexa to the point of risking serotonin syndrome. The same applies to opioids, atleast in the amounts found in cough syrup.

However, very high doses of promethazine can cause a similar condition via its anticholinergic action - like serotonin syndrome, anticholinergic syndrome can involve vomiting, diarrhea, delirium and even seizures and death.

Well taking benzos with it so, that may little the chances of seizures.

Fuck it, already drinking it.