• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Problems swallowing on pain meds

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member
i am prescribed Percocet for 5 herniated discs in my spine. I take them as little as possible as they make me sleepy and I don't want to build a tolerance. But I need to eat when I take them or they make me nauseous. The problem is, when I take them while waiting for my food to cook and they kick in in the meantime, when the food is ready I have problems swallowing. Why does this happen?

have you ate then took the percosets?
hmmm i know side effects are always possible but to be nauseous every single time you taken them would be a cause for concern even more so trouble swallowing

my first thought would be your muscles being soooo relaxed that it makes it hard(i cant piss when im opiated) but you mentioned nausea try to take them with a full stomach.

Yep opiates can make swallowing difficult. Certainly happens to me. Opiates also make you aware you're on them when the things we can take for granted become more difficult like urinating, moving your bowels and reaching orgasm. Aren't they just great.

I too have a problem swallowing when I had taken opiates. I would love to hear this question answered, as I am curious about what causes this.

Most of the time its like I have to rev up to swallow by doing a few test swallows first.

take your percs after you eat not right before. right after the food is in your stomach.

you might have some sort of acid reflux condition which is making your lymph nodes on your toungue and your throat to kind of swell and make it hard to swallow or breath maybe?

^probably not. Take enough and I'm sure you will encounter the issue. I can struggle to swallow a sip of water sometimes. It's the urination that irks me, I've fallen asleep sitting on the toilet plenty of times waiting for my bladder and urethra to function.