• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Problem with Adderall and Methadone (MMT)

Blackout1513

Greenlighter
I have been on MMT for about 3 months now and have just recently started up my adderall dosing for severe AD/HD again from my doctor. Has anybody else had trouble with the adderall speeding up your metabolism and making you hit withdrawal from the methadone? I took it for the first time yesterday (10mg) and this morning before I could get to my clinic to dose my 50mg of mdone I hit severe withdrawal nausea. And even after I dosed at my clinic I still feel awful and am currently waiting on my methadone to kick in. Has anybody else suffered from this? I really need some kind of adhd medicine due to the insane amount of math I am doing in college. Does anybody have any advice for a different type of medicine I could take? I should add that I am currently weaning from 70mg and getting to 30mg to make the switch to Suboxone.

There's no hepatic interaction between dextroamphetamine and methadone listed on medscape, and that is usually very reliable. You probably had severe nausea from mixing a powerful psychostimulant with a narcotic. That's a recipe for nausea in and of itself.

There's methylphenidate and off-lable ones like modafinil and bupropion. But methylphenidate is your best bet.

I'm not on MMT so can't speak from experience but maybe a much lower adderall dose would be helpful? Also, are you positive it's WD and not a gastrointestinal reaction combining two drugs that both have a strong but opposite effect on the digestive system? Like, do you get other WD symptoms too or just that? The reason I think that's a possibility is because I had some unrelated digestive issues (lactose intolerance but pretty severe I guess) and once I took care of that I had way less GI issues on adderall, even recreational doses. Just something to consider, though this is pretty much pure speculation.

Methadone releases histamine which can cause prfound nausea and motion sickness while adderall releases dopamine and norepinephrine, both of which can cause nausea by activating D2 and alpha 1 receptors. (H1 and D2 antagonists are used to treat emesis and nausea).

This is why he experienced severe nausea. It is not withdrawals. Or a GI reaction, but a pharmacological interaction.

Last edited:
I didn't think of the histamine reaction at all but that does make perfect sense! Methadone and adderall does sound like the perfect storm for nausea when you take the histamine release combined with dopamine and norepinephrine release into account.

Wow thanks guys for all of the fast replies!! It's been about 2 hours since I posted this and was feeling like ass. I'm one hundred percent better now! I talked to my doctor at my clinic and she told me that I actually was experiencing withdrawal because the adderall speeds your metabolism through the roof so it burned up my mdone dose over night and when I woke up I was in full blown W/D. Sweating/Cramps/Severe Nausea etc. It took about 2 hours for my dose to fully kick in and it was like heaven I got full relief!

No she is wrong. Something as short acting as dextroamphetamine wouldn't cause a long acting drug like methadone to be cleared that fast. And don't listen to doctors about pharmacology. They are fucking idiots. All those effects are something that would be caused by noradrenergic activity. Any fool would know that... It's amazing the dumbasses they allow to become doctors.

But I do understand what you all were saying about the receptors and the histamine release. I take 25mg Diphenhydramine every morning and then another around 5pm for methadone potentiater and plus I have awful allergies. I love adderall it's a miracle worker for me personally. My doctor just gave me my first script yesterday for the orange 20mg d-amphetamine and I swallowed 5mg and snorted 5mg (tasted nasty af like sweet tart) and tbh I felt amazing with the mix. All was good all night long but when I woke up it was full w/d at one time it was fucking awful. I really want to keep taking Addy but I can't keep feeling wd every day like this.

Damn, that sounds rough but I'm glad you're feeling better now! Have you/your dr figured out a solution? All the more incentive for me to not relapse again though, I need my adderall more than my opiates.

theGirlWithBlueHair
Yea I have to agree with you on the doctors being fucking morons and the nurses too. When I took my adderall script to the clinic with me this morning the head nurse counted them and put it in the system. She warned me about the whole metabolism speeding up and burning through my 50mg dose insanely fast. But I didn't believe that so when I left I called the doc and she told me the same shit. But I noticed that when my dose started kicking in I did get almost instant relief from all of my symptoms other than a headache but I took a goody powder for that. Is there a different adhd med I could take that wouldn't effect me this way?

But I do understand what you all were saying about the receptors and the histamine release. I take 25mg Diphenhydramine every morning and then another around 5pm for methadone potentiater and plus I have awful allergies. I love adderall it's a miracle worker for me personally. My doctor just gave me my first script yesterday for the orange 20mg d-amphetamine and I swallowed 5mg and snorted 5mg (tasted nasty af like sweet tart) and tbh I felt amazing with the mix. All was good all night long but when I woke up it was full w/d at one time it was fucking awful. I really want to keep taking Addy but I can't keep feeling wd every day like this.

Ok again, I have no MMT experience so please correct me if I'm talking out of my ass, but is it not possible for your doctor to just change your methadone dosing schedule if the issue is really just a sped up metabolism? I'm siding with thegirlwithbluehair on this one though, it seems very odd that adderall could speed up your metablism to that extent. I take higher doses than you and I don't notice any meds or substances wearing off significantly faster on adderall. Also, how would anyone stay at a stable weight on adderall if it jacked up your metabolism that much? It just seems strange. I'm not saying it wasn't the case because obviously something is amiss if you're waking up in full blown wd. Sorry if you already mentioned this but how long could you go between methadone doses before? Just wondering because even though for most people it has a long half life, it can be as short as 8 hours in some cases.

It doesn't speed up the metabolism at all. The amphetamines are the ADHD meds with the least amount of side effects. Methylphenidate (ritalin, concerta) is considered to have a lot more, but you could try that. Do you take IR or XR adderall? I would recommend Vyvanse. Highly. Very highly.

It's effects can be as short as 8 hours, not it's half-life. Call them back and explain what we said about the histamine/dopamine/norepinephrine and call them fucking stupid bitches that should reeducate themselves before giving patients misinformation in case the next time they do, they hurt somebody.

Don't some isomers speed up the metabolism slightly due to PNS stimulation? I do take a few more trips to the bathroom on adderall but that's really it. Still, adderall is mostly dextroamphetamine and thus, mostly stimulates the CNS, is that correct? But yes, I second vyvanse! It's the levoampethamine in adderall that really causes the majority of the side effects like nausea and vasoconstriction, but I don't think it has much if any effect on adhd. I'm really not sure why it's in adderall besides perhaps as an antabuse mechanism, but I love it because it takes care of my sinus swelling lol.

Yes. And they wouldn't have any significant effect on metabolism. The steady blood levels and long duration of Vyvanse and it's virtual lack of a comedown make it the best option too.

The levoamphetamine is in it because part of the formulation contains racemic amphetamine. It doesn't contain actual base levoamphetamine.

Dextroamphetamine should take care of sinus swelling as well. It's CNS activity does not exclude peripheral activity.

I'm on MMT and have been so for over 4 years, and I am prescribed 40 mgs of Adderall a day (20 mg 2x) and have experienced NONE of those effects, in fact I love the way the comb makes me feel, it's my "legal morning speedball" LOL...anyway, that being said, I "third" what thegirlwithbluehair said, that is NOT your adderall's fault. And those doctors and "nurses" at the dosing windows are fucking morons. I have been told so much cinflicting, incorrect and downright dangerous things by those folks....

Don't some isomers speed up the metabolism slightly due to PNS stimulation? I do take a few more trips to the bathroom on adderall but that's really it. Still, adderall is mostly dextroamphetamine and thus, mostly stimulates the CNS, is that correct? But yes, I second vyvanse! It's the levoampethamine in adderall that really causes the majority of the side effects like nausea and vasoconstriction, but I don't think it has much if any effect on adhd. I'm really not sure why it's in adderall besides perhaps as an antabuse mechanism, but I love it because it takes care of my sinus swelling lol.

Adderall does not contain levoamphetamine. it contains racemic amphetamine and dextroamphetamine.

I'm on 75mg methadone for the last 9 months. I have never taken adderall with it but I have some and kind of want to try it bc I'm so so so tired all day and have no energy at my job which is a server and I work late hours. Can someone just let me know if the combo is safe?