• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Problem Lighting Bowl

zzirgrizz

Greenlighter
So I haven't been smoking for a very long time but I had this problem yesterday that I don't think normally happens. I have a somewhat small bowl that is made of metal. I was attempting to light the weed, which I was successful in doing the first two hits or so. After that it was impossible. Basically whenever I tried to light it, the lighter's flame would just stand on the edge of the bowl and inverse itself, refusing to go into the bowl itself and actually lighting weed. I even got another lighter to see if that was the problem but it did the same thing. Should I get a new bowl or is my technique just off?

Last edited:
Sounds like your bowl is clogged. Give it a thorough cleaning, that might just be it.

Sour's probably on the money.

Try to take a res-hit/dry hit. Don't pack any tree, just put a flame to your intake (bowlpiece) and gently inhale.

If you can barely suck the flame down, your pipe's clogged. If you catch some resistance while you're doing this and then all of a sudden mid-hit you can pull again, then you had a slight clog and just freed it up. If that doesn't work then you'll need to manually clean that little fucker to find out what's going on.

1.Empty bowl
2.Clean thoroughly
3.Repack the herbage
4.Get high as fuck my mayne

Why does a clogged bowl prevent a flame from actually going into the bowl and lighting the weed?

Why does a clogged bowl prevent a flame from actually going into the bowl and lighting the weed?

Because heat travels up, the bowl is facing up, your breath sucks the flame through the herb and then the metal tube, if you can't apply enough suction pressure for whatever reason then the flame with just float upwards, because that is its path of least resistance,
Cannabis isn't like tobacco, want a prime example break up some weed, and rip open a cigarette, press your index finger into a pile of both, unless your hands are a bit greasy or something the tobacco wouldn't stick to your finer while the weed would, the flame of a bic lighter produces incomplete combustion which leads to hydrocarbons being created and stickily deposited in your pipe, usually bunging up the thinnest part of the pipe, the whole at the bowl,
't

I love the innocence to this thread. Your piece is probably clogged as stated. How long have u been smoking OP?

Generally, fire needs heat, fuel, and oxygen* to exist.

When your bowl is clogged, you're significantly reducing (possibly even eliminating) oxygen from the equation, preventing combustion of the cannabis packed in your bowl.

* Any oxidizing agent will do, oxygen simply happens to be the most commonly used thanks to.... well... the nature of our atmosphere, I guess....