• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pro-pot Republicans meet this weekend in Houston

Bluelight Crew
http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/Pro-pot-Republicans-meet-this-weekend-in-Houston.html

HOUSTON -- A Republican group will hold its inaugural meeting Saturday in Houston as it tries to convince GOP leaders that the legalization of marijuana is a conservative stance, not just a left-wing liberal idea.

"You have the right to control yourself. And to me that's what Republicans stand for,” said Ann Lee, founder of RAMP – Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition. "The drug war goes against every principle we have of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and less intrusion in your private life."

[...]

"A majority of conservatives now support reforming marijuana laws,” said RAMP spokesperson Jason Miller. “People are sick and tired of the government's prohibition of this plant."

It's an argument normally heard from politicians further to the left of the political spectrum.

Politician, musician, and former gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman has made legalization the cornerstone of his campaign for Texas Land Commissioner. He believes, as has been argued in Washington State and Colorado, that legalization takes power away from drug dealers and makes pot a regulated, taxed commodity.
Ann Lee agrees and argues that legalization is not solely an argument owned by the left.

"Freedom,” she said when asked why she supports a liberalization of marijuana laws in Texas and across the country. “Why should your government tell you and your doctors what medicine is best for you? To me that is a very Republican theory.”

full: http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/Pro-pot-Republicans-meet-this-weekend-in-Houston.html

said Ann Lee, founder of RAMP – Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition. "The drug war goes against every principle we have of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and less intrusion in your private life."

I'd like to hear her opinion on selling heroin in supermarkets.

Seriously, why limit it to just weed. Maybe throw in amphetamine at the very least. Amphetamine is a very patriotic chemical.

And pot does the impossible again.. becomes a common ground for conservatives and liberals. When in reality it is just two parties fighting over taking credit for what the people, comprised of people from both parties, actually started.

But this is no doubt good news.. I think the republicans should jump ahead of the liberals by backing the decriminalization and legal but regulated approach to all drugs.

NSFW:
Domino-Effect.jpg