• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Preventing Mold

Oakstone

Bluelighter
I'm just going to start off by saying: I don't smoke cannabis. However, I will probably be getting some small amount to try it out eventually.
Thing is, this will probably be the only time I buy it (for the foreseeable future), so I obviously want it to store well, and one thing I've seen is that sometimes it can develop mold (which I'm guessing you don't want to smoke).

So I'm wondering what's the best way to store it to prevent mold, and if there are any tips you all have found that can help prevent it. Or if it's even that common of a problem? Or, if it does begin to mold, if there's any way to recover some of it? I looked on BL for any threads about it and didn't see any, and looking it up in a search engine mostly brought up info about preventing mold from growing on live plants.
Thanks for whatever feedback you can give.

Man you grabbing a shit ton or something? Lol. Jealous youre getting ANY cuz im one bowl from out.

Anyway, its good to store it in an airtight jar. Obviously there should be no moisture in it to begin with. Ive never had a problem with this, though. Also, check the weed upon buying it on the outside of the nug/s itself as well as inside of i ((if youre able to break it up or in half). Smell it as well. Touch the herb to distinguish kief from mold (rubs off vs does not rub off).

Others got any tips or insight?

Nah, probably just a few grams. I really only want enough to try it a few times and get a sense for what it's like. Plus, if I can get a few viable seeds from it... Never know, might come in handy.

Thanks for the tips. From what I'm seeing, it looks like the mold is typically white-ish?

AnF1O.jpg

Mold circled in red. A small selection of trichomes pointed at with a blue arrow.

Mold's gonna typically look like that-- dull, greyish-white cobweb lookin' bullshit on your bud.

By contrast, good trichomes are going to sparkle in the light and look more scattered on your nugs, but amazing weed might even look like it's coated in some kind of crystally powder, kind of like (NSFW for size):

NSFW:
durban-poison-thc-crystals-buds.jpg

Trichomes are also going to be fairly easy to knock off of the plant matter, whereas that mold wants to stay right where it's at.

As far as preventing mold... get your weed as dry as possible (personally, I would leave it out for a night or two if I thought it was still too moist.... good rule of thumb: if the stems bend without snapping, your shit's a bit too wet for long-term storage) and throw it into an airtight container-- mason jars work well. Then just store it in a cool, dark place until you feel like fuckin' with it again. Not sure if burping the jar would help or hurt the mold prevention situation, though, so someone else can go ahead and chime in on that one.

Last edited:
if you're not planning on consuming it any time soon why not just buy hash or hash oil instead? that would also make it easier to use in edibles if the time finally comes and you decide you'd rather eat it than smoke or vape it

if you're not planning on consuming it any time soon why not just buy hash or hash oil instead? that would also make it easier to use in edibles if the time finally comes and you decide you'd rather eat it than smoke or vape it

Seconded, but a first-timer using hash oil might be biting off more than they're ready to chew....

Still, though: seconded.

I'd think about getting hash, but I don't think I'll be able to (I don't know if the guy typically has it on hand). Plus, as Jibult mentioned, I'm not sure if I'd want to use something quite so concentrated when just starting. It'd probably be easier to measure out a small amount of weed than measure out a tiny amount of hash, if that makes sense. (Since I don't want to go overboard at all, especially the first time or two.)
Thanks for the tips and pics, everyone!