• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Preserving Dreadlocks?

the whole idea of this thread makes me nauseaus.:p

^^ Guys can we please keep it above board? Thanks.

Damien's idea of raising donations is great!

Klue- I don't understand what the whole timber bowl thing is, could you please explain more in depth? O yeah the staff idea is awesome!

Its pretty simple. Imagine something sitting in the bottom of a bowl cast in resin.

3005594987_0dede78766_m.jpg

I did a quick search of flickr, use your imagination.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/2259529390_e3d75b3f37.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2029/2118196323_5222d0db70.jpg?v=0

This one is cool...its a leaf set in resin made into a pendant...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesliekeating/361936558/in/photostream/

Klue- so i do this with clear epoxy right? I can't figure out how they did that leaf thing, I almost want to make like a little action figure that looks similar to my friend and epoxy that with like parts of his actual dread, or like a wood ball attach the dreads to that, and on the wood ball make a smiling face. It would be simple, i just still don't understand how to keep it clear, like the leaf pic. Could i put a dread in a glass vile, fill it with epoxy and then break the glass? But epoxy sticks to everything, is there anything that epoxy wont stick to? so i can just have it hold the shape and then peel out the outer edge, idk. I still need a little explaining, I can't even believe you got these pictures, like you took the time. You must be seriously good people man, to take ur time and do this for me. I appreciate it.

O yeah we are excepting donations from strangers, we want to give the energy from the dread to family who deserves it, a memory sake. A souviner basically from the person who gives the greatest hugs ever, and a lot of love. I'm just pissed and sometimes it sux when ur best buddy goes to jail, just for enlightening people, cause some idiot gets busted with a bag of weed and then the cops brainwash/scare the dumbass who got busted with like and 8th and the only person he knows is a hippy trying to spread righteousness, this USA is fucked up, trying to put non violent drug offenders in prison. What bullshit, I just needed to vent, thank God for words, and BLUELIGHT.RU thank you!

Yep clear epoxy, that you would buy from a craft shop. The stuff I have been using isnt totally clear. Be very very fucking careful with the hardener though. Its Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide and its probably the most dangerous chemical that you can buy from a shop over the counter.

And yes, you could put a dread in a vial or a test tube then break the glass. Once its hardened you can drill, cut, sand and polish it to get the clear, smooth surface. Thats how they would have made the dendant, as I started to mention in an earlier post.

I could describe exactly how to use the epoxy, but its something you should really look into because it can be dangerous and tricky. Two things to remember would be not to mix up too much otherwise it can generate a lot of heat and to dip whatever you're casting into the UNcatalysed epoxy (stuff that you havent mixed hardener into) and let it drain, otherwise you will get air bubbles.

:)

This thread made my morning. I bet if I could cash in on a piece of Bob Marley's dread, all the con artists at Rainbow Gathering would be my friend and smoke me up for free. :)

I LOVE this idea! I think it's a beautiful thing. I was looking for a way to preserve a dreadlock and found you! And have become a member of this forum just to tell you so.
If we're freaks for wanting to preserve them, then we are freaks together! <3
Love from Holland!