Prescription testosterone for depression?

IronMantis

Greenlighter
Hey I'm new here; I asking about the possibility of using prescription testosterone as an alternative to psychiatric medication for depression.

I was recently diagnosed with mild depression after months of losing focus at work, motivation for my personal goals, becoming more withdrawn from friends, family, GF, waning sex drive, increased apathy for issues I really should have been paying attention to, etc. I went to the doctor and the first thing she did was test my testosterone and TSH. It came back in the upper 400s for testosterone (forgot what my TSH value was). She said the normal range is 300ng - 800ng and that the average for guys my age is ~600ng, but that while I was below average, she thought it wasn't low enough to warrant a testosterone prescription. She suspected my condition was psychological and referred me to a psychiatrist. I had kinda been hoping for a prescription of testosterone, but I didn't want to seem like I was fishing for it so I agreed to see the psychiatrist.

The psychiatrist diagnosed me with a mild form of depression and asked if I was open to medication. I said yes, but that I really didn't want to do anti-depressants; I was worried that they would dull my personality, further lower my sex drive and make me complacent. I wanted something that would boost my focus, motivation, confidence and so forth. She prescribed me a 1/day Adderall XR 20 mg, and while it instantly did boost my focus, confidence, motivation, drive and so forth, it has been causing some uncomfortable intestinal distress that I could do without. I also just noticed that it has really been suppressing my appetite. I'm already pretty thin, and I don't want to risk getting skinnier or risk malnourishing myself, so I don't know if I want to stay on it for long.

I have heard of testosterone being prescribed to treat depression in men. Now that I've been formally diagnosed with it, do you think there's a possibility that my doctor might be more open to prescribing it than she was before? Do you think there's a way I can suggest it without seeming like I'm fishing for it (maybe by expressing a fear of psych drugs or whatnot)?

Last edited:
I have heard of testosterone being prescribed to treat depression in men. Now that I've been formally diagnosed with it, do you think there's a possibility that my doctor might be more open to prescribing it than she was before? Do you think there's a way I can suggest it without seeming like I'm fishing for it (maybe by expressing a fear of psych drugs or whatnot)?

Welcome to BL IronMantis. I'm amazed you got Adderall to be honest lol. Many would be very happy with that. But to your question, the 'normal' range for testosterone doesn't necessarily mean it's 'normal' for you without a few tests from your youth to compare it to. You're right that test often does transform the mental and physical state of a lot of men. Can I ask how old you are? And do you do much exercise?

I'm 27, and for the past 3-4 months, I've been going to the gym only twice a week, and I really have to mentally push myself to do it. There was a time (~1 year ago) where I would go to the gym 4-5 times a week and be excited about it, but that motivation and drive slowly dissipated away until I got on the Adderall.

BTW, you're right about the Adderall; that stuff is amazing. I couldn't believe how quickly and rapidly it lifted my mood and outlook; it's just the intestinal issues and suppressed appetite that's bothering me. I'm just wondering if testosterone could give me that same boost without the GI issues.

Last edited:
I'm 27, and for the past 3-4 months, I've been going to the gym only twice a week, and I really have to mentally push myself to do it. There was a time (~1 year ago) where I would go to the gym 4-5 times a week and be excited about it, but that motivation and drive slowly dissipated away until I got on the Adderall.

BTW, you're right about the Adderall; that stuff is amazing. I couldn't believe how quickly and rapidly it lifted my mood and outlook; it's just the intestinal issues and suppressed appetite that's bothering me. I'm just wondering if testosterone could give me that same boost without the GI issues.

Yes, it probably could, although to be honest you're quite young to be experiencing low test. Have you been using any other drugs or have you changed something else in your life that came just before the depression?

For those who need it, test does have a number of healthful side-effects when used at a physiological (close to natural) dose. However, you'll essentially be asking to go onto TRT (testosterone replacement therapy), which is a very long-term (or permanent) option, since your own test production will drop off as soon as you start taking any exogenous testosterone to raise your free test levels thanks to a negative feedback loop in the body. If that seems like quite a big step to make, there are a few other options as well. You may find something like proviron (mesterolone) has the positive stimulating androgenic effects you want but without completely shutting down your HPTA and natural test production.

"Yes, it probably could, although to be honest you're quite young to be experiencing low test. Have you been using any other drugs or have you changed something else in your life that came just before the depression?"

I've never done anything harder than pot; there was a time between age 19-20 where I would smoke everyday for several months, but I quickly got bored and it was getting costly. Since then, I'll toke only once every couple of months and only if a friend offers me a hit.

There's one thing I just remembered; for about a year straight before last October, I was drinking 3-5 beers a day. I stopped when I had a weeks-long bout of chronic indigestion; I suspected it was due to the beer. My digestive issues cleared up and I barely drink now. I wonder if my depression was alcohol-withdrawal related, but it would seem strange for it to persist for months. I've also heard that beer kills testosterone; do you know if that's only when you're drinking it or are the effects long lasting?

"Yes, it probably could, although to be honest you're quite young to be experiencing low test. Have you been using any other drugs or have you changed something else in your life that came just before the depression?"

I've never done anything harder than pot; there was a time between age 19-20 where I would smoke everyday for several months, but I quickly got bored and it was getting costly. Since then, I'll toke only once every couple of months and only if a friend offers me a hit.

There's one thing I just remembered; for about a year straight before last October, I was drinking 3-5 beers a day. I stopped when I had a weeks-long bout of chronic indigestion; I suspected it was due to the beer. My digestive issues cleared up and I barely drink now. I wonder if my depression was alcohol-withdrawal related, but it would seem strange for it to persist for months. I've also heard that beer kills testosterone; do you know if that's only when you're drinking it or are the effects long lasting?

A year straight of drinking that u quit last october shouldnt have caused you chronic depression

Pretty sure you won't be prescribed test for whatever reason if your values are normal.

All this means is that your depression is coming from another source.

Pretty sure you won't be prescribed test for whatever reason if your values are normal.

All this means is that your depression is coming from another source.

is there a number for what "normal" is?
I know a few years ago there wasnt

There's a normal range. Generally as Voxide points out, if you're not below it, you're unlikely to get it prescribed legitimately unless you have a very understanding doc/psych.

Testosterone won't really give you a boost until you reach around 400-500mg per week. At that dose you may need an aromatase inhibitor or your mental state will get a lot worse. (from high estrogen) I would stick with the Adderall for now. Stimulants tend to dehydrate you so that may be what is causing your digestive issues.

Testosterone won't really give you a boost until you reach around 400-500mg per week. At that dose you may need an aromatase inhibitor or your mental state will get a lot worse. (from high estrogen) I would stick with the Adderall for now. Stimulants tend to dehydrate you so that may be what is causing your digestive issues.

Will it not..? The 160mg I'm currently on seems to be working just fine..??

I also use very small doses. I only use 125mg Test E and 100mg Tren E.

Stimulants tend to dehydrate you so that may be what is causing your digestive issues.

The digestive issues are usually blamed on the adrenergic effect of stimulants (sympathetic nervous stimulation). OP may find the issue diminishes on a lower dose of Adderall, on a split dose (even on an XR compound), with a large meal, or using a different but related compound.

Will it not..? The 160mg I'm currently on seems to be working just fine..??
Is that all you're on? IME I didn't get that focused, energetic feeling until 400-500mg per week, on test only. IF the op's problems are being caused by his test levels (and not some other deficiency) then 100-150mg per week will indeed give him a boost. It just won't be as obvious as the kind you get from amphetamines, lol

Anything above 300ng/dl is considered normal, at least for Quest and most of the other labs I've seen. Even if you're under that, it doesn't really guarantee you get shit, especially if you're a younger fellow.

It's the doctor's call, really. The DEA has script happy endo's and "anti-aging" doctors in their cross hairs a lot more than you'd think. Maybe not as much as these pain management croakers but risk is still there.

Or perhaps talk to your doctor about an SNRI or SSRI like effexor or prozac instead of the adderall. it might not give you a high or help with strength training but it can give you a huge mood boost and keep you focused.

Or perhaps talk to your doctor about an SNRI or SSRI like effexor or prozac instead of the adderall. it might not give you a high or help with strength training but it can give you a huge mood boost and keep you focused.

Lmfao

If you're not impressed with conventional SSRI therapy consider looking into Tianeptine Sulfate. The sulfate has a much longer half-life than the sodium salt, decreasing the potential for addiction and the necessity of repeated doses.

Meanwhile, tianeptine is a remarkably effective antidepressant.... it's really quite amazing that it hasn't caught on in America yet. Europe's been all over it for years.

Not what we promote on here..!!

I am a lot older than you (57) and was contemplating the same scenario you describe. Use Test as a way to general wellbeing. Been on Prozac for 15 yrs. Not working anymore. I took 150 mg Ethanate pr month. Later changing to Cypionate. Pinning twice weekly (total of 150 mg pr m). My test rate was 800 on that intake level and I felt really good. Kept to that regime for 18 months and no adverse effects that I realize . My libido went through the roof! Kept my missus very happy (or at least busy). Did seem to enhance my mood. At least in the start.

Last edited: