Mental Health Prescription drug database

Legally High

Bluelighter
I'm curious as to how the database works that psychiatrists use. Can they only see controlled medications? Do they know when only when prescribed or when you fill the prescriptions?
- one reason I ask is because I have unfilled Adhd medication from a former doctor and it would likly be frowned upon for me to fill it since I'm on a different one with him

Also curious to know if he gets paid per visit, even though it's free with my insurance?
- I ask because I don't want to wait six weeks between appointments, when I know the medication is not tolerable within the first week.

I'm almost positive they can see anything that has been PRESCRIBED, not only filled... The reason I say this is bc/ I am prescribed morphine from my GP... when I had a tooth extracted the dentist wrote a script for Norco, and my doc said not to have another doctor write anything like that... And I didn't even get them filled at all... He said it would look like doc shopping on the system... Sorry for the rant, but I hope I helped you somewhat...

Last edited:
It really depends on the type of medication and the provider type. If you are seeing a doc in a large managed care org than they can likely see it all. Some random doc...probably not unless it is a controlled substance

Most states now have a centralized system for all prescriptions, but it's not necessarily mandatory for doctors to check it.

Also curious to know if he gets paid per visit, even though it's free with my insurance?
- I ask because I don't want to wait six weeks between appointments, when I know the medication is not tolerable within the first week.

He gets paid per visit no matter what. If the medicine isn't working you should absolutely get a sooner appointment. Call his office and explain--don't take no for an answer--be polite but persistent.