• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Preparing to take over the marijuana market, Uruguay leans on experience...

Tenchi

Bluelighter
...as a whisky-maker

Washington Post said:
MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay — The government of Uruguay makes Scotch whisky. It also makes and sells rum, vodka and cognac, and has done so for nearly a century. Many people consider this sideline of the state to be an historical accident — a wasteful and even eccentric contradiction.

But President Jose Mujica says Uruguay’s long experience at the center of the nation’s liquor business makes it more than capable of dominating another substance: marijuana.

Final Senate approval of Uruguay’s marijuana law is expected by late September, and the government plans to license growers, sellers and users as quickly as possible thereafter to protect them from criminal drug traffickers, ruling party Sen. Lucia Topolansky, who is also Uruguay’s first lady, told The Associated Press in an interview.

The law specifically creates a legal marijuana monopoly, making the government alone responsible for importing, producing, obtaining, storing, commercializing, and distributing a drug still considered illegal around the world.

A state entity will license producers and control marijuana’s distribution and sale through the same neighborhood pharmacies that sell prescription medicines and toothpaste. Purchases by licensed users will be limited to 40 grams (1.4 ounces) a month. Pot-growing cooperatives will be encouraged, using government-approved seeds, and people registered with the state will be able to grow up to six plants at home for personal use, as long as they harvest no more than 480 grams (17 ounces) a year.

Full Story

This is definitely progress but I hope America's government doesn't want to grow the weed when they get around to legalizing it. I don't want the government in charge of anything. The DMV, the post office, public education, every time the government does something it costs a lot of money and it sucks. Can you imagine if you had to wait in a line like at the DMV to get a dime bag? Or to pay for lavish union salaries like teachers in many school district's receive? If marijuana is grown legally by corporations competing against each other we will have some really good cheap pot the likes of which I only dream about.

That is until the government taxes the shit out of it.

Yes, one of my concerns is that. UK Government 'weed' would be very mild I'd think. :!

I'd want full strain hash/hash oil, choice, but with a strict(2 forms of I.D., one with a photo) 21+ I.D. Thus solving the theory of developing brains, causing problems metally in du yoof.