View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Preparing for trips

afroman21

Greenlighter
Due to past experiences which i blame myself for i have been scared whenever i plan for a trip. I get scared and dont want a bad trip. I know staying positive is a major factor. I also received aroma therapy to calm my nerves. Any suggestions on staying happy and having better trips? Good music? Thanks for the help.

Trip in a calm, familiar environment when you don't have any potential responsibilities popping up. Music can help, but it mostly depends on you allowing the trip to guide you; if music is what you want while tripping, listen to music. You might find that you want to go outside and explore (though this must be done with some caution), stay inside and meditate, play sports or do any number of things. It's important to be free to do those things and allow yourself to do them if that's where the trip leads you.

For me the best preparation for a trip is to go take a walk in a park on a beautiful day. Most times when I trip in my appartment the trip gets bad. When I notice some anxiety I drink half a beer or maybe a whole beer and that usually calms me down.

i have next to no experience with psychedelics, (i have experience with dissociatives tough which i believe share some similarieties) but this applies to all the drugs and even sober life

as you stated good music is a must (if you feel like listening to music) whenever you feel overwhelmed take deep breaths (not too deep, just fill your lungs as much as it's comfortable to you) and also be aware that having a bad trip sucks (never been there but i can atleast *imagine* how could it be) but if you integrate correctly it can benefit you in the long run.

and also keep some short acting benzo (xanax, lorazepam etc) that even if you won't need will help you keep calm by thinking that if things go south you have something to calm down a bit

also don't worry too much about having a had time. that yelds nothing but useless anxiety. be prepared to embrace whatever comes to you

Definitely trip in a familiar environment where you can control as many things as possible, ie, you can be sure no one is going to unexpectedly show up, you won't have to leave, etc. Good music is one of the best things you can control, music of course will influence your emotions (either positively or negatively, depending on the choice), so definitely have some good playlists or CDs or whatever lined up. For me, being out in nature is the single best setting, I almost never get anxiety or negative thoughts when I'm in nature, and the beautiful complexity of nature provides endless sensory input for you to digest. However it needs to be somewhere safe. For me, my yard is a great setting, but that doesn't work for everyone. You definitely don't want to trip outside in a place where other people could suddenly show up unexpectedly.

Having a benzo on hand for if things get dicey is a good idea, but I almost never do... if you have them that can be good for peace of mind, just knowing it's an option if things go bad, but try to avoid using them because they will destroy some of the entire point of the trip.

And of course, don't trip when there is something specifically bothering you emotionally, ie, you are having troubles with your relationship with someone, or you had a really bad day, or whatever. The exception to this is if you're trying to trip to get some insight on something, but be careful with that, wait until you're at a pretty stable state emotionally (for example, I tripped recently to help me determine how I feel about my impending divorce, but months had gone by first and I felt ready).

good topic. I am going to trip next week probably so I'm just chilling for a few days. Maybe go jogging and clean my house the day before tripping. Im gonna try to find some good and uplifting music and make some playlists ready. I'll drop LSD or DOC, not really sure yet. Or maybe i won't trip, i'll see how I feel.