• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Pregabaline + xanax very dangerous?

Memantine

Bluelighter
Some day I took 300mg pregabalin and 1.5 mg xanax. Three hours later I was kind of bored and I felt sober so I took another 1 mg xanax. I was washing the dishes but then I blacked out.

Ten hours later I woke up on my couch in the middle of the night feeling disorientated.

So is pregabaline very dangerous with benzo's? I never passed out like this before, not even with alcohol or other CNS depressants.

It'll increase CNS depression. Considering you blacked out on the combo, I think that answers your question. Also, keep in mind that pregabalin can take awhile to fully kick in, so even if you're feeling sober after your dose, you might just need to give it some time.

Any particular reason why you're taking the two together?

I have no info. regarding the taking of pregabolin + alprazolam (Xanax® ... get into the habit of memorizing the names of new drugs first by their (typically more "chemically" and technical) GENERIC NAME, and then, esp. if a drug is brand new, and has its 17-year brand name patent period ahead of it (disallowing generic drug co.'s [which are in reality these days owned by the brand name drug co.'s over 80% of the time] from selling cheaper generic equivalent drugs, til that patent expires, that is) .. GET INTO THE HABIT OF MEMORIZING THE GENERIC NAME FIRST. Time goes by quickly and before you know it any Xanax script will have to be written as either Xanax (leaving it for the pharmacist to translate, or be written as "alprazolam." BUT THE KEY POINT HERE, IS THAT EXCEPT FOR THE PRE-17-YR PATENTED BRAND NAME DRUGS, THE DRUG NAME ON YOUR RX VIAL WILL *ALWAYS* BE IN THE FORM OF ITS GENERIC NAME 'ALPRAZOLAM'. Also, you will sound more educated, you will actually *be* more educated, and you will protect yourself from the rare but catastrophic Brand name vs. generic drug "sounds alike" misprescribing errors that kill off over 100+ ppl in the U.S. per year..the famous case was with clonazepam, which originally had the brand name Clonopin® mfg. by Roche Labs. in Nutley, NJ. For decades before clonazepam, there existed the very effective and widely used antihypertensive drug clonidine HCl (original brand name Catapres®). Many a time, thru Dr's bad handwriting or Pharmacists reading the script too fast and missing the decimal point (a dose of clonidine would run as 0.1-0.3mg vs. a dose of clonazepam being 1mg-3mg dosing). This, due to SO MANY PHARMACY MISTAKES, compelled Roche Labs. to rebrand Clonopin® using a 'K' instead of the more sensible 'C', so its new brand of clonazepam became Klonopin®). This slowed down this snafu but only in part,...as even today this error is still committed, despite its fame!! And funny ironic thing is, in all other countries of the world, the brand name for clonazepam is "Rivotril®", which in no way sounds like "clonidine." Why would Roche not save the Rivotril brand name for its U.S.-sold clonazepam?? This is a mystery deep in confidential buried memos of Roche Labs. None of us (unless a bluelight member has unrestricted archive-access to Roche files) will never get answered.

Anyway I know nothing about whether your pregabolin+alprazolam drug interaction was just a fluke or is something that can be replicable and leads to the very serious threat of causing blackouts. The only time I blacked out with at least one other person to witness it was my initial testing of the 6-month-old sedative/hypnotic Ambien® (brand of zolpidem tartrate CIV). In the first half-hour I took 2 10mh tabs. This led to only a slight hint of sedation, so I took another 20mg and 25 min later took a final 20mg (totalling 60mg/hr). I never remembered feeling sleepy or sedated even as much as a 0.5mg Xanax would do to me.

The next thing I remember was waking up in the local hosp. emergency room, and was encouraged by the nurse, who asked me no questions, that I should try to get more sleep. I did. After a few hours they spoke to me very close to my ear (word-to-the-wise: when awaking a *stranger* do not touch them AT ALL!. Some ppl have trained themselves to link tactile external input while sleeping with imminent risk of getting killed [e.g. an Afghanistan ex-infantryman, or, a long-surviving homeless person)). She asked me to wake up and follow her to the doc on call. Basically once he heard me utter the magic word AMBIEN he knew the entire story. My witness, a neighbor, helped to save my life because, via that 3X Ambien® dose I was in a state of abberant sleep-walking. For myself, he recounted how I was obcessed with climbing out of the kitchen 2nd story window, which despite my insistence I was incredibly clumsy at it and did not succeed in jumping out of the 2nd story of my apt. building. Said witness whought (correctly) that I was bonkers and called 911.

Once I mentioned the magic word AMBIEN to the doc at the ER he knew that I had experienced temp. toxic psychosis that would clear up once I got a good sleep. They asked me to move into an unuawd room so the ER bed I was on could be freed up for another new patient. They left instructions that I could walk out, self-discharging myself once I felt I had slept long enough. After another 2 hrs I did, walking home. The staff was really nice to me, and very very knowledgeable as to how I arrived under their care! From my Ambien® trial I learned to not ever "play around" with ANY dose of that drug ever again to the end of my days on the planet.

------------------------------------------

As for the reason for the initial posting: you may know that pregabalin and certainly alprazolam are GABA-related sedative neurotransmitters and/or substances that fit into omega-1,-2, or -3 post-synaptic receptors at sedative neural synapses. If you happen to personally come across a combination that leads to a blackout: THIS IS TO BE REGARDED AS A SERIOUS AND POTENTIALLY DEATH-PRODUCING ALARM THAT YOUR DRUG USE HAS TAKEN YOU TOO FAR UNTO THE TYPES OF RANDOM DANGERS THAT COULD KILL ANYONE! (bLACKOUTS HAPPEN WITHOUT WARNING, AND HOW YOU DO DURING ONE SOLELY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WERE DOING UP TO THE MOMENT OF THE BLACKOUT. E.G. WHAT IF YOU WERE DRIVING, GOING DOWN A STAIRCASE, CROSSING THE STREET, COLLAPSING ALONE IN FRONT OF A GANG OF PPL INTENT OF RIPPING YOU OFF OF EVERYTHING YOU WERE CARRYING, IN THE BATH TUB READY TO LIE DOWN, ENDING UP SMASHING YOUR HEAD ON THE RIM, ETC.!! No blackout safel;y lived through due to luck should be re-attempted even with a squad of totally loyal persons surrounding you in case things go amiss. Only you can keep your life secure!

NEVER CHANCE A SUSPECTED PATH TO YOUR GIVING YOURSELF A 2ND BLACKOUT. YOU MAY WAKE UP DEAD, FOR EVER AND EVER AND EVER.
&&

Last edited: