• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Preemtively removing stems from large quantities? Good, Bad, or neutral?

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
Alright so.. I've never seen or heard this discussed in detail so here it goes;

Is there anything wrong with removing stems from buds that you aren't going to smoke immediately?
I'm not talking about buying it that way, but rather for storage purposes. Does it degrade THC or other cannibinoids? How about flavor or how it burns?

Also as a side note; I keep my stored cannabis in a plastic airtight prescription pill container, is there anything wrong with this? I know everyone says to keep it in a mason jar, but I don't know if that's for the air tight seal, or because it's glass

Neutral. It just makes it easier in the long run, you won't have stems when you go into the jar so you can break it down faster.

Neutral. It just makes it easier in the long run, you won't have stems when you go into the jar so you can break it down faster.

Yeah that's pretty much why I do it.
I don't use a grinder, but rather a mortar+pestle system with a shot glass and the end of a pen that's rounded. It's a lot more of a powdery texture that I preffer over the crumbles that you get from grinders. In my opinion it burns more evenly and is easier to eyeball a dose (I only ever pack enough into a bowl to clear in one lung full since the flavor isn't as nice when it is burned a second time.)

Stems will hold moisture so it's not completely neutral but pretty much.

There's different kinds of plastics some better than others but I'm sure a pill container is fine.

Stems will hold moisture so it's not completely neutral but pretty much.

There's different kinds of plastics some better than others but I'm sure a pill container is fine.

Thank you :)

does holding in moisture go hand in hand with freshness? Are there any steps I can take to get a smoother smoke

Last edited:
With a little bit of moisture it's a smoother and tastier smoke. I suppose it does go hand in hand with freshness.

Store the pill container in the dark if it's transparent.

I ussualy keep it tucked in a cubby hole on my desk, its not fully dark but its always shadowed from direct light.

I guess I have another question. Should I put all of it into the container, or should I leave some of it in the bag it came in, right now there is a few grams in the container, and another few grams in the bag rolled up tightly and rubber banded.

I don't keep weed in plastic bags, i see them as something you but it in, then transfer to a container of your choice.
Depending on climatic conditions, humidity etc - leaving it in a plastic bag could cause any moisture to get trapped and potentially grow mould or start decomposing.
I keep my weed in a sealed tin.

I don't keep weed in plastic bags, i see them as something you but it in, then transfer to a container of your choice.
Depending on climatic conditions, humidity etc - leaving it in a plastic bag could cause any moisture to get trapped and potentially grow mould or start decomposing.
I keep my weed in a sealed tin.

Hm, so what is a good medium between keeping enough moisture to remain fresh while also preventing mould/fungal growth?

Hm, so what is a good medium between keeping enough moisture to remain fresh while also preventing mould/fungal growth?

If your stash'll be gone within a couple weeks, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Glass mason jars do the best job at concealing my stash's smell while keeping the herbal inside fresh as it was when I picked it up. I could have a half pound in a big enough mason jar and, provided I've got it closed properly, nobody's smelling a damn thing until the jar gets opened.