• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prednisone - how to extract from pills

brokedownpalace10

Bluelighter
Weird title to get reads, but it is the exact question. This is not a psychoactive drug question, but the experts here are my best shot at an answer.

I've been prescribed Prednisone quite a lot for my back over the years. I don't like it and avoid it when I can. So, I have a number of pills left over.
I do find Prednisone ear drops very useful for eczema related things in there. Those drops are expensive, soooo....

What could I extract the pills into to make my own topical or otic mixture?

Not a clue, honestly. I absolutely LOATHE this stuff and so do a lot of people. Some get euphoria and energy, I get punching holes in walls and screaming, and I'm a very passive and gentle type of person (mostly, if people tick me off I will get pretty heated).

I'm not sure extracting it this way would really work, to be honest. Someone else could chime in but this is a very unusual thing to want to make an extract of, what benefit do you think it'd have?

Not a clue, honestly. I absolutely LOATHE this stuff and so do a lot of people. Some get euphoria and energy, I get punching holes in walls and screaming, and I'm a very passive and gentle type of person (mostly, if people tick me off I will get pretty heated).

I'm not sure extracting it this way would really work, to be honest. Someone else could chime in but this is a very unusual thing to want to make an extract of, what benefit do you think it'd have?
Topically or in my ear it's damn useful. You don't get the systemic effects that way. It's expensive with my insurance. It would be better than throwing it away.

@BourbonMac I do like your posts and you. But, may I take this opportunity to request that no one chime in to tell me that I shouldn't do this unless they have some great documented evidence of a danger? Stuff's likely safer on my skin than in my gut.

BTW, I hate it systemically as well. The first day, I do feel energy and vigor. Then I don't sleep and the second day I'm an energetic and vigorous asshole. Then, the third day tired and worn and grumpy. Usually a 5 day stack. I've used it topically and otically with great results and no systemic effects, though.

Fair.

I wasn't necessarily saying you shouldn't try it, I'm just not sure how it would end up working and I feel like it's such a niche thing that it'd be hard to get a concrete answer. You're right that the shit is really hard on the gut, I've had to take that stuff a lot over the years and at one point after rounds of antibiotics and then this, I was rendered unable to really eat for months (this was earlier this year). The acid reflux was insane, even water would fuck me up.

When you talk about the Prednisone ear drops, are you saying applying that topically to eczema helped with it?

The prednisone you find in those tablets will not be water soluble so that's your first hurdle.

Additionally the types of concentrations used in corticosteroid steroid solutions are usually quite low so it will be hard to replicate a pharmaceutical preparation. Also keep in mind that the corticosteroids found in liquid formulations are usually in salt form (acetate usually) whereas tablets usually aren't. Not sure how well base prednisone dissolved in alcohol will work on the skin (especially since the alcohol content will mean that it won't be great for eczema anyhow)

Whatever you do, don't put crudely made prednisone solutions into your ear. Wouldn't want a high strength prednisone solution creep past some sort of little perforation and getting in the inner ear (where it could cause havoc).

The prednisone you find in those tablets will not be water soluble so that's your first hurdle.

Additionally the types of concentrations used in corticosteroid steroid solutions are usually quite low so it will be hard to replicate a pharmaceutical preparation. Also keep in mind that the corticosteroids found in liquid formulations are usually in salt form (acetate usually) whereas tablets usually aren't. Not sure how well base prednisone dissolved in alcohol will work on the skin (especially since the alcohol content will mean that it won't be great for eczema anyhow)

Whatever you do, don't put crudely made prednisone solutions into your ear. Wouldn't want a high strength prednisone solution creep past some sort of little perforation and getting in the inner ear (where it could cause havoc).
Is it alcohol soluble? What form is it in?
It's generally a 1% solution, so a 10mg tablet in one ml would be about right, wouldn't it?
Good answer.

@BourbonMac , I'm wanting to use for both applications.

im not sure, but im positive this is a frivilous pursuit. just dont.

im not sure, but im positive this is a frivilous pursuit. just dont.
But, may I take this opportunity to request that no one chime in to tell me that I shouldn't do this unless they have some great documented evidence of a danger?