• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Prednisone - bad chesty cough?

nuclear89

Greenlighter
Hello,
Would using prednisone help in a bad chesty cough? If so what dose would one be thinking about?

Prednisone is prescribed for many conditions to relieve inflammation. You would need to be checked by your doctor to get diagnosed and determine the right course and dosage. If you have a respiratory infection, they may also prescribe antibiotics.

Hello,
Would using prednisone help in a bad chesty cough? If so what dose would one be thinking about?

agree it could be a infection that would require antibiotics, never chance a possible respitory infection
talk with a doc

I asked because I'm on antibiotics for tonsillitis and a chest infection at the same time. It's pulled me down, I have asthma too!

Me and my GP have a disagreement on the use of prednisone though. He says if you get worse we can look at them.

Yet, i sound like a rattle snake breathing. I've got a box and have took 30mg for 2 mornings now and they help but I don't know how long I should take for or the correct dose really.

All I know is not to take them any longer than i really need to.

I asked because I'm on antibiotics for tonsillitis and a chest infection at the same time. It's pulled me down, I have asthma too!

Me and my GP have a disagreement on the use of prednisone though. He says if you get worse we can look at them.

Yet, i sound like a rattle snake breathing. I've got a box and have took 30mg for 2 mornings now and they help but I don't know how long I should take for or the correct dose really.

All I know is not to take them any longer than i really need to.

i have asthma as well....that prednisone is for inflammation to help you breathe better...which if you dont have that issue theres no reason to take it
if youre on AB already and its not helping talk with you GP

I absolutely love Prednisone when I have a bad cough or, better yet, a bad cause of bronchitis. I get a prescription for it just about every time I have chest congestion. It works as a steroid for your lungs, which helps you to take in more oxygen per breath so you don't feel like you have to struggle just to breathe. Combined with a good antibiotic and either a rescue inhaler or albuterol medication and you're good to go. For the most part!

Doctors typically prescribe Prednisone for a short-term like this; 6 pills for the first day, then decreasing by 1 each day until the regimen is finished.