• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Precipitated WD while already taking suboxone

2dark2see

Bluelighter
I started taking suboxone about 9-10 days ago to help stop a 150mg/day oxy habit. For the past few days I've been down to taking just 3mg suboxone each day and that's been working great. My question is - at the end of the month I have my appt with my pain doc to get my regular rx (which I'm using to trade for the subs, not to take it) but I'm going to have to take a couple norcos in order to test positive and get my rx - will this send me into precipitated WD? The guy who I get the subs from said it might but that doesn't make sense to me. But if it's true that taking any kind of opiate while on suboxone sends you into precipitated WD then I'm screwed in the long run... I get a lot of kidney stones (have had so many that I usually end up having surgery to put in a stent) but there's no way I can deal with kidney stone pain without using some kind of opiate. I also have other health issues that sometimes requires opiates... so I'm thinking that if this true then maybe the suboxone path isn't the right one for me if that means going into precipitated WD every time I have a health issue! Any thoughts or feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!

Precipitated Withdrawal provoked by Buprenorphine use is a one-way street, as it were. Buprenorphine initiates precipitated withdrawal in the Opioid-dependent individual by essentially forcing all available Opioids off of the receptors in favor of the Buprenorphine, which, due to its complex nature of being a mixed agonist/antagonist Opioid ultimately lowers the levels of available Opioids. This all happens very quickly, hence the speed and intensity of the PW syndrome.

If you take this phenomenon and reverse it, the Buprenorphine is already present in the body and receptors of the Bupe-dependent individual, meaning that other Opioids cannot reach the receptors and activate them in the first place. So, in short, the answer is no. You can use Opioids on top of Buprenorphine to your heart's content, they will just be ineffective for the most part.

Thanks, everything you said was what I had originally thought about suboxone but had then doubted it only bc of what the guy giving me the subs had said. I appreciate you helping clear that up!