• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Potentiation of Caffeine for increased systemic availability?

Ventrusii

Bluelighter
I was wondering, if I were to inhibit the enzyme that primarily breaks down caffeine (into its still-active metabolites, paraxanthine/theobromine/theophylline) would it be more effective at increasing energy for a longer with smaller does, or would it just last longer?

I was thinking to use German Chamomile tea or extract, which according to one study, reduced clearance of the CYP1A2 enzyme by ~40%. Also, as its metabolites would probably also have to be demethylated by the same enzyme, would it also increase their half life as well, if the tea's constituents even last that long?

Sorry if this is a bit choppy, it just popped into my head and I couldn't find much other than CYP1A2 inhibitors decrease clearance of caffeine, and I wanted to know if a CYP1A2 inhibitor would cause my intake to have to go down or just having my regular dose last all day.

Thanks!

I would expect the effect to last longer, but also things like 'energy' are subjective and tolerance to the effects develops over time (eg fewer neurotransmitters released in response). Shorter pulses of higher dosed caffeine might work better in that regard.

Anyway I'll move this thread over to NPD as the guys there will probably be able to give you more input...