Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Potentiating mescaline

legal_limit

Bluelighter
Hiya

I have heard many stories of people consuming high cocoa chocolate/cacao beans, nibs/caffiene during/before mescaline trips to boost the trip, yet when i try to research online where they got those ideas from, i dont come up with much solid evidence.

Yet people seem to swear by it.

Does anyone have any information or first had recounts of potentiating mescaline in any way? I dont have any interest in boosting it via maoi's. It just seems interesting that theres so many ways people are boosting it, without mixing it with other "hard drugs".

People swear by it because it's the placebo effect and the placebo effect is incredibly powerful.

I've never heard of anything potentiating mescaline. Obviously taking other drugs at the same time will alter the experience but whether or not that counts as "potentiating" mescaline I don't know.

welcome to the flow nukka.
i've actually got a similar issue coming up. ive got some extracted mescaline and want to split it between my fiance and I. I posted about it a while ago.
you can take an MAOI with it to potentate it-- i'm going to try this cocao and some OTC maois.

Mescaline can be somewhat calming. Chocamine (a powdered, high theobromine/Theophilline suplement) at 1-2g gives me a euphoric calm/stimulant feeling, so I can imagine that this substance may well synergize well with Mescaline. I always felt adding a nice clean pure amphetamine (oral dosing) like crystal meth or dexedrine to LSD seemed to potentiate it noticibly... just like turbo charging a car engine can give it more power. So perhaps a similar equation applies to Mescaline+Cocoa compounds?

The Theobromine + Theophylline + Caffeine + Phenethylamine + high-dose polyphenols ***DO*** in a high potency cocoa extract like Chocamine absolutely have a noticeable real potent effect that I can certainly might imagine could accentuate mescaline, as probably any stimulant could.

Those two "T" chems are potent stimulants, oh great Nattering Nabob of Negaitivity, great "dubunker" of PD, not just "placebo." Buy some and eat a tablespoonful on an empty stomach and THEN report back.

Last edited:
Crystal meth...nice clean and pure? ;)

That's interesting though I would have imagined that mixing stimulants would not work well with psychedelics, as they tend contract consciousness and make it more narrowly focused.

Crystal meth...nice clean and pure? ;)

That's interesting though I would have imagined that mixing stimulants would not work well with psychedelics, as they tend contract consciousness and make it more narrowly focused.

Crystal Meth is a pure molecule... I mean real well made crystalline clear stuff, not some dirty stinky yellow crud from some hillbilly bathtub synth (apologies to hillbillies and bathtubs :D )

Purity means alot. So does dose. A ***SMALL*** dose of stimulants ABSOLUTELY enhances psychedelics in general, but its important not too much... half of a regular recreational dose probably... enough to act as a catalyst... too much will you are right overpower it.

It's all alot of alchemy, isn't it, haha... eye of newt, pinch of earth, etc etc.

I'm certain that MAOI's would potentiate it, however, that combination is extremely risky, and is AFAIK entirely unexplored. I would strongly council against it, and recommend instead simply accepting the ridiculous cost and taking a larger dose, or tripping off of a cheaper drug. PEAs and MAOI's do not get along well (unlike trypts and MAOIs, which is somewhat less dangerous). Also, doing this with cactus extract, instead of pure mescaline, would be significantly more dangerous, because there are all those other alkaloids in the cacti, and it's quite possible that one could be inactive without an MAOI, but be active and toxic when MAO isn't around to shred it as soon as you eat it.

Piracetam would probably potentiate it, but as we know, it's quite unpredictable.

In all cases, the extent of careful experiments needed to ensure safety (slowly working up the dose in combination with the potentiator) would make this a large undertaking. I'd start with no more than 50mg of mescaline and a small dose of the potentiator (maybe 100mg if i was going to use piracetam), and go cautiously from there, if I was to do this, which I wouldnt. The amount of material required for such tests would offset the likely savings in mescaline from potentiating it.

MDMA with mescaline, both are phenetylamines, would be a great mix for sure but watch out your doses.

I would think that a way to potentiate it would be to ingest a substrate for the same metabolism (MAO-B was it?) to get competitive inhibition.

Citrus Aurantium Extract (95% Hordenine), I quote "According to the most credible research I've seen, hordenine isn't a MAOI per se, but a highly selective substrate for MAO-B."

I think this compound is available to buy as a food supplement and let me check but I think this is in mescaline-containing cacti as well! Some constituents of cacti may potentiate it through this same way of competetive inhibition, I think?
Cacao is not a MAOI:

There is, however, a persistent rumor that chocolate itself is an MAOI. The primary support given for this seems to be something that Terence McKenna once said about the Mayan custom of mixing chocolate with mushrooms (suggesting they did this to potentiate the mushrooms with the chocolate). Regardless, we have not been able to find any solid evidence that chocolate is, in fact, an MAOI.

The point of confusion is certainly that chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, whose effects may be increased when taken in combination with an MAOI. Many sources suggest that chocolate should not be eaten incombination with prescription MAOIs, although the levels of caffeine and theobromine are low enough that reliable sources generally say it is safe in combination with MAOIs unless the chocolate is eaten in large quantities.

Many people get confused between MAOIs, and the foods and medications which should not be mixed with them. As neither MDMA nor chocolate are MAOIs, combining them should not be a problem. We have never received a report of health problems resulting from mixing chocolate with MDMA.

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=2571

Last edited:
I'm certain that MAOI's would potentiate it, however, that combination is extremely risky, and is AFAIK entirely unexplored. I would strongly council against it, and recommend instead simply accepting the ridiculous cost and taking a larger dose, or tripping off of a cheaper drug. PEAs and MAOI's do not get along well (unlike trypts and MAOIs, which is somewhat less dangerous). Also, doing this with cactus extract, instead of pure mescaline, would be significantly more dangerous, because there are all those other alkaloids in the cacti, and it's quite possible that one could be inactive without an MAOI, but be active and toxic when MAO isn't around to shred it as soon as you eat it.

Piracetam would probably potentiate it, but as we know, it's quite unpredictable.

In all cases, the extent of careful experiments needed to ensure safety (slowly working up the dose in combination with the potentiator) would make this a large undertaking. I'd start with no more than 50mg of mescaline and a small dose of the potentiator (maybe 100mg if i was going to use piracetam), and go cautiously from there, if I was to do this, which I wouldnt. The amount of material required for such tests would offset the likely savings in mescaline from potentiating it.

MAOI and mescaline is absolutely safe-- as well as with cacti. The ammount of tryamine is nowhere near dangerous.

MAOI and mescaline is absolutely safe-- as well as with cacti. The ammount of tryamine is nowhere near dangerous.

Do you have any references (academic, or anecdotal) regarding the safety of mescaline in combination with an MAOI?

I'm basing my assumption of risk on the reports of combinations of other phenethylamines with MAOIs causing complete loss of touch with reality while they maintain full control of their body - ie, great potential for harm to the user. Someone here posted one about 2C-I (i think, might have been another 2C) + MAOI about that, where they were trying to climb the walls or something. I can't seem to find it though, since you can't seach the forums for "2C-I"....

Searching BL is easer with Google than with BL

. I can't seem to find it though, since you can't seach the forums for "2C-I"....

Google is much better at searching BL than BL's own search tools. You can use the full range of syntax, quotes for phrases or terms with special characters, parentheses for boolean clauses using OR or AND (caps important). Just be sure to include site:bluelight.ru in the line.

So to find that post try entering this or variations thereof in the google search box:

site:bluelight.ru "2c-i" (maoi OR "monoamine oxidase inhibitor" OR "syrian rue")

in addition to an other terms you think you remember might have been in the post. Usually works like a charm. No clue why BL has never plugged in google directly to be their search engine, or gotten a better one... seems like it would be pretty simple... oh well, overworked volunteers and all, and you can already use google as explained above so why bother?

i usually chase cactus crystals with a red-bull
the stimulants mix well, giving amazing energy-
- but i dont think it makes the mescaline effects any stronger.

TheAzo,
there have been lots,lots of trip reports using maoi's and cacti alkaloids over the years.(i'd pm you links but dont want to post them here...)
i'd say the risk has been wildly exaggerated (primarily through pure speculation and assumption)

my own tests using mansked rue extract and crystal mescaline were very lovely- i'd say 30-50% stronger effects( pretty subjective i know...)
the potentiating was less than with tryptamines, but still very noticeable

since my cacti have gotten big, i'd never mess around guessing at mao inhibition,

for the sake of harm reduction, id suggest:
be patient, let your cacti grow

Bump! This thread is interesting, might have to look into Solipsis' theory...

Hmm. This thread is interesting. I've tried mescaline several times with med/low doses of pure manske'd rue alkaloids, and with caapi tea a few times. It definitely potentiated the experience. A strong cup or two of yerba mate or green tea also seems to have some affect, it could be placebo, but i remember reading somewhere that theres flavinols in green tea that act on mao.

I've also read this on wiki-

About half the initial dosage is excreted after 6 hours, but some studies suggest that it is not metabolized at all before excretion. Mescaline appears to not be subject to metabolism by CYP2D6[12] and between 20 and 50% of mescaline is excreted in the urine unchanged, and the rest being excreted as the carboxylic acid form of mescaline, a likely result of MAO degradation.[13] The LD50 of mescaline has been measured in various animals: 212 mg/kg i.p. (mice), 132 mg/kg i.p. (rats), and 328 mg/kg i.p. (guinea pigs).

Having recently come across hordenine in pure form, i might just give this a go starting very low with off white mescaline hcl from bridgesii. Something like 20mg hordenine, 150mg mescaline. For sure on my to try list.

Did anyone ever give this a test?

Did anyone try the combination of mescaline and chocamine yet?

As Solipsis pointed out, chocamine shouldn't be a MAOI thus the combination should be save (in case mescaline and a MAOI isn't).

For me the combination is really tempting for dancing as low doses of mescaline produce very cool music enhancement in me but with a bit of claiming. The chocamine should nicely counteract this. For me, both mescaline and the compounds in chocamine have an onset of about 2 hours so I can just take them together and relax :)