• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Possibly the best way to shoot without a micron filter. Detailed

purplehaze147

Bluelighter
I made a thread a few months ago explaining the better way to filter your shots with a cotton. I improved on the method. I want to share it for the sake of harm reduction and hopefully save someone's veins or even life. I explain the entire process of injecting for beginners

This is what you'll need; a 12mm syringe of your preferred chose of cc and gauge, two oral syringes (the pharmacys in my town give them away for free, I think most pharmacys do. I get the 5ml ones.), a table spoon, sterile cotton, a paper coffee filter, a razor blade or plastic card, sterile water, anti-bacterial soap, and rubbing alcohol.

The first thing you want to do is sterilize yourself and your equiptment. Wash your hands thoroughly and make sure you use anti-bacterial soap. Next wash the surface you are planing to use with rubbing alcohol, you'll want to use a granite( or other smooth stone counter), a spare smooth tile, a mirror, etc. Make sure you use a clean rag or whatever else you want to use, just make sure it's clean. Then you want to dip your spoon and razor blade of plastic card in rubbing alcohol and place them on the sterile surface. To sterilize the oral syringes dip them in rubbing alcohol and suck it up until the syring is full.

(For pills) If you're using pills you'll need to crush them into a very fine powder. The best way to crush them and not have any pieces flying away is to take your razor blade, hold the pill down firmly, and cut it into four small pieces. Then take the spoon and use the bottom of it to crush the pill into a fine powder by pressing down carefully on it and rolling the spoon around until the pill is completely powderized. It's sort of like the motor and pestle method.

Now you want to get your powder into the spoon. Do this by pushing the powder with a razor or plastic card off of the surface onto the spoon. Be very careful and you want to only push off a small amount of powder at a time to ensure you don't lose your valuables.

Take one of your oral syringes and suck up some sterile water, I use water from a water bottle. Make sure it's not more then your needle can hold. Don't use hot water because it may dissolve some unsessisary ingredients. Then slowly and carefully squirt the water into the spoon with the powder in it and mix it up for a minute or two. Next suck up the mixture with the same oral syringe.

Now you want to make your filter. First rewash your hands. Using a clean paper coffee filter just taken out of the bag, rip a small circle of paper with a slightly bigger circumference than the bigger hole of your oral syringe. Now grab your second oral syringe and carefully push the circle of coffe filter with your finger evenly into the syringe. You want it to cover the inside smaller exit hole of the syringe. Next take a small amount of cotton and push it into the syringe on top of the coffee filter. When you push down with the plunger the cotton should fill about .5ml of the syringe.

Take the plunger out of the filter syringe. Then take the syringe with your solution in it and squirt it into the filter syringe. Put the plunger back into the filter syringe and slowly push it down until the cotton is touching the plunger and the end of the syringe. Do not squeeze the cotton yet. It's best to do this over your cleaned out spoon, make sure it doesn't have any residue in it from before.

Ok, now take your 12mm needle and place it in the end of the filter syringe. Very slowly and carefully push down on the filter syringe so the liquid goes into the end part but does not come out and suck it up with your needle. It's also best to do this over the spoon. Keep repeating the pushing and the sucking until all of the liquid is out of the filter syringe and in your 12mm needle. To get the last little bit of liquid out of the filter syringe you'll have to slam it on the table. This entire process of transferring the liquid may take some practice to to right. If any of the liquid fell into the spoon just suck it up with the needle.

Finally find a vein you want to inject in and clean the area of your skin with rubbing alcohol. Make sure it's in the vein by sucking up a little blood, this may be hard to do. If you're not in the vein, when you inject it should hurt a little and sometimes it will make a bubble thing on your skin. After the injection rub the area again with alcohol and put a bandage on it if you want. Break the needle and throw it away, you shouldn't use needles twice.

EDIT: To dispose of the needles if u don't have an official sharps container you can use an empty laundry detergent bottle or something similar and label it sharps. Than you can throw it away in the regular trash.

Last edited:
This really needs to be revised before you advise that anyone follows your method.

I just read the last sentence, and you didn't mention anything about how the user is supposed to discard the biohazardous material (used needle, broken tips or not they can still prick an innocent person) properly in accordance with local state ordinances.

A very common vehicle of disposable if you can't afford a legit biohazard container, is an empty, or better yet, nearly empty bottle of bleach. With permanent marker on it, write in huge letters SHARPS.

Also, you seem to be describing a method of backloading, which has numerous potential health consequences and there's a very high risk of fucking up.

^This is a version of what I think is known as the 'McGuiver micron filter'... I think there is a thread describing it in detail somewhere.

Here is a narrowed down version of it (clean hands and surfaces all the way through, as well as new equipment every time and for every step):
A) Dissolve pill/DOC in cold, sterile water
B) Filter through cotton into a syringe
C) Transfer this solution by backloading into a syringe with a cotton packed at tip of the barrel
D) Push solution through backloaded syringe into new clean syringe inteded for IV
E) Evt. flush backloaded syringe with extra, sterile water, into the shot syringe
F) Shoot and dispose of all material in a safe and responsible manner

That should sum it up, but for a detailed version of above method, look around bluelight/the internet.
REMINDER: It is still nowhere near 100% safe, and there are many particles the eye cannot see and that cotton won't catch, that should not be IV'd. However, it beats what a lot of people do (heat solution, filter once with miniature piece of cotton, and shoot - that is bad HR practice all-round).

I thought of this all on my own I didn't know there was already a method called the "McGuiver micron filter". My method also uses a coffee filter once the liquid goes through the cotton. It's a helluva lot safer than just using a cotton in a syringe to filter your pills.

Another way or maybe a good step with both these procedures to make the pushing easier is to let the solution settle in a cooker and very very carefully draw up leaving the gunk untouched. Takes some practice and you will lose some substance put if done done correctly a clear solution will be the result (tip let it settle for 20 mins at the least)

In your method you use bottled water, this is less safe than tap water.
best thing to use if you can't get sterile water is boiled water.

Heirarchy of Water

also, if you can get them (but not micron filters) I would recommend anyone filtering pills to try these:
http://www.exchangesupplies.org/shopdisp_S314.php

The sterifilt has been shown in laboratory studies conducted by Jenny Scott at the University of Bath to remove 90% of the particles measuring less than 5 microns, and 99% of all particles greater than 5 microns from the solution.

Last edited:
In your method you use bottled water, this is less safe than tap water.
best thing to use if you can't get sterile water is boiled water.

Heirarchy of Water

also, if you can get them (but not micron filters) I would recommend anyone filtering pills to try these:
http://www.exchangesupplies.org/shopdisp_S314.php

The sterifilt has been shown in laboratory studies conducted by Jenny Scott at the University of Bath to remove 90% of the particles measuring less than 5 microns, and 99% of all particles greater than 5 microns from the solution.

I used those for my oxys last weekend. They work really well as you can push down all the crushed up oxy to get every last bit of the oxy/water solution. Glad you mentioned not using bottled water too, that's the worst sort of water you can use and sort of defeats the purpose of keeping everything sterile when you use water containing bacteria.

No matter how much cotton you push it through, you just increase the chances of catching a pathogen or cotton fever, cotton does not compress to pore sizes smaller than 50um.... So even the cheapest (5.0um) micron filters are a huge step up from this "method"

I see three problems with this write up:

1) Backloading any rig is a really good way to plug up your works. If you cant suck it up thru the needle, what makes you think you can push it thru the same needle? I have NEVER understood why anyone backloads a syringe.

2) The best way to grind pills is go to the pharmacy and buy a 5-7$ pill grinder... unless you're trying to grind TRF Oxy or Opana, you should be good to go. I personally use a few sheets of paper folded several times and smash, that way I dont "ping" chunks of whatever all over the place. Using the bottom of what is probably a very carbonized spoon to directly crush pills... eek.

3) Cotton fever is no joke. It's hard to sterilize cotton; if you put it in water and boil it in the microwave, it tends to explode like a popcorn kernel. I guess you could boil water on a stove and put it in that, or use IPA (which kills shit pretty quickly). But dont EVER assume that because a piece of cotton came out of a brand new box of Q-tips or a bag of cotton balls that it is "sterile". And if you do get cotton fever, you can go from perfectly fine to shaking uncontrollably in less than a minute. Im talking body breaking shaking. Best way to deal with it ime is to pop an aspirin and a tylenol and drink a crapload of water. You may have to get a friend to hold the cup for you; the shaking can be that bad. I've had it enough even with sterile practice/technique that I keep a huge bottle of water with a straw and the aformentioned drugs on hand, so if I start shaking, I can pop them right away.

Otherwise, pretty good write up.

and...

No matter how much cotton you push it through, you just increase the chances of catching a pathogen or cotton fever, cotton does not compress to pore sizes smaller than 50um.... So even the cheapest (5.0um) micron filters are a huge step up from this "method"

this.

This. Cotton is still cotton and no matter how much you use, whatever clever technique you come up with, it will never filter out particles of a larger size.

I have used on many many occasions a qtip (cotton bud in Australia ??) jammed had into the neck of my 18G draw up needle- for chalky mixes this works a treat.
1.put all pills such as (end done, IR OXYS, methadone pills) into ten ml or 5 ml barrel and shake.
2.carefully pry a properly formed cotton tear drop shaped bud (cut of with sterile scissors
3.place this carefully into 18g needle neck and screw onto any clean barrel with some water in it to prime it, the harder it is to force water through the greater the filtration.
4.YOU MUST let your mixture settle upside down for as long as poss 10-20 depends on what pills.
5.Now using the lid of the 18g bend it (lever action) so that it will points at least 15-20'degrees below horizontal- 2-3 bends is ideal.
6.Taking care not to disturb your settled solution screw on your pre-primed draw up tip, now grab another clean barrel stick the tip thru and steadily place downwards force upon your solution. It may not require TOO much force but it often does and this is why screwing on your tip as tightly as is practical is of paramount importance and as always so IS HYGIENIC hands serfaces and the likes -
**some may say Qtips/cotton buds are not sterile well it doesn't say they are but I highly doubt any contamination and as for cotton fever these cotton buds are woven so tightly and then jammed in to the point where your main risk is when replacing
-make sure u rinse 18g between each installation
-I have also heard from a doctor than bottled water is worse then tap too-
#im a newbie to bluelight so if I have violated any rules I apologise - I can up with this method myself but it may be already on here somewhere #
Harm minimisation is what this is all about
Peace ✌️