• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Possibly miscarrying- Could it be from past drug abuse?

anntagonized365

Greenlighter
I recently found out I am pregnant (about five or six weeks along). This is my first and it was unplanned. The doctors tell me my HCG levels are not rising quickly enough which indicates it may not be viable. I have been reckless with my use of DXM this year, I have swallowed bottles of cold pills (from what I can recall) at least five times this year and the last time was probably a month before conception. The products I used contained guaifenesin and I knew it was unsafe but it was less recreational drug use and more for purposes of self-medicating; I didn't consider the effect it may have on my body because I didn't care at the time and was looking for a cheap escape route from reality. Since guaifenesin thins the mucus, I am concerned I have damaged the mucus plug of my cervix and wondered if that could be a reason why I am having trouble with this pregnancy. Have any other women have been through this and had a healthy, viable pregnancy? I'm scared and ashamed. Am I going to lose this baby because of what I've done to my body? If so, will I ever have the chance to conceive again?

Obviously as I am NOT a doctor and have not personally looked at your cervix I cannot tell you for sure but, here's what my experience with an unplanned pregnancy was: I used to use dxm in high school when I couldn't find any heroin that morning / day.... did it waayyy more than the 5x you have, (took away some of the dts or at least made me so stupid they were manageable till Ozzy got us both fixed up ? ) I found myself pregnant at 19, after convincing myself that considering the unprotected sex Oz and I had and no preggers, that I had probably done so much damage to my body it wasn't possible. I was wrong, very wrong! Maybe it just wasn't meant for me to conceive with him. My bf Mike when I was 18 got me preggo within a handful of months. I made the decision to terminate because of both of our sizeable addictions (coke for him and my arms, by this time had already developed permanent scars on mainlines) family pressure, etc. Sooo... Didn't get a period for a while after the abortion and really thought nothing of it figured my body needed time or was resetting... well I was wrong! Went for checkup and I was 6 months along. Went onto methadone for remainder and I delivered a healthy, full sized regular boy via c-section as my cervix didn't dilate past 8cm for some time (and think doc had a hot date) in '04, then his brother in '05. I had them adopted by a wonderful, well-off couple who hadn't been able to get pregnant despite trying for years... so thankfully a happy ending for all involved. I hope I didn't ramble too much... sweetheart, please don't start convincing yourself that you have done something that will stand in the way of you getting pregnant and also do not allow yourself to become ashamed. I hope that if you are pregnant you will enjoy your pregnancy I know that once I found out I was not just gaining a few pounds and really started to show the last month and a half I thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant. It was quite the ride but I would not change my experience for the world. It taught me alot, not to mention the dilaudid pump at the hospital and the Demerol scrip my OB kept me on for 4 months afterwards. Thanks doc H! Good luck, keep us posted. And always take a prenatal if you can, at least the baby can eat.

Last edited:
You dont even have a mucous plug that early on. Most likely its just not a viable pg. Over 90% of early mcs are due to chromosome issues and something just not right so nature takes care of it. Yes it sucks and hurts but i would bet it has nothing to do with the dmx prior to the pg.

I'm not a doctor but I just wanted to let you know a very large percent of pregnancies end in miscarriage. It's like between 5%-30% this is pretty normal. God is the biggest abortionist of them all.