• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible to separate naloxone from suboxone?

gotget

Greenlighter
I'm not an opiate addict, but I got some orange hex subs from somebody who is ages ago. I just found them and was wondering if I could separate the two chemicals so I could have something pure. I looked it up and some people say you can separate the bupe with alcohol but on PubChem it says Naloxone is also slightly soluble in alcohol. I'm just gonna take it orally or snort it, no iv.

Last edited:
See this article for more details on this subject.

Good article and proves a point I’ve thought on before, that the naloxone helps alleviate tolerance build. I notice only the combined formulation does that, plain buprenorphine tolerance raises same as any other opiate.

-GC

See this article for more details on this subject.
Shout out to bluelight in that article!

Also really solid discussion section. Very good example of scientific mirth.

Discussion​

Based on the evidence outlined above, we cannot unambiguously conclude that naloxone is an effective deterrent to parenteral misuse of buprenorphine. At best, naloxone may reduce or delay the subjective “high” users experience, but in the absence of any dramatic effect on abuse liability, this partial blockade of subjective euphoric effects is of dubious clinical value. Epidemiologic studies have documented reductions in parenteral misuse of buprenorphine after introduction of the combination product, but some of this effect this may simply be due to patients hearing from their physician or from others in the medical community that naloxone prevents such misuse. It could be argued that, if it prevents a patient from ever attempting to take a buprenorphine/naloxone product parenterally, the message that naloxone blocks such misuse is of net benefit to the patient regardless of the actual pharmacological efficacy of naloxone in this regard. However, deliberately misleading patients is an ethical violation, even if we think it is in their best interest. This is one reason that, despite their many proven benefits, we do not actually prescribe placebos. The effectiveness of such interventions depends on trust that has been painstakingly cultivated over generations of interactions between the medical community and the public we serve. If information circulating in the recreational drug-using community is in reality more accurate than the information coming from the medical community, it can only be a matter of time before that hard-won trust is eroded. Our patients expect us to be honest and straightforward with them about the risks they face, and especially about the interventions, we recommend. The stakes are too high for us to do anything less.

Logically, combing agonists/antagonists is ridiculous anyway.

If the point of an opioid is to agonize mu receptors (whether for pain relief or maintenance), putting naloxone in it seems counterintuitive. Either we want to agonize mu or we don't. If we don't, then why put it in an opioid medication in the first place? lol

It's even more ridiculous when it is combined with something that has such an obviously high affinity over it.

If the point of an opioid is to agonize mu receptors (whether for pain relief or maintenance), putting naloxone in it seems counterintuitive. Either we want to agonize mu or we don't. If we don't, then why put it in an opioid medication in the first place? lol

It's even more ridiculous when it is combined with something that has such an obviously high affinity over it.
It's literally a scam. I'm upset at the medical establishment for pushing this crap.

When a forum of drug afficianados is more tuned in than a company that can pay for human studies, that's a pretty morbid scene.

It's literally a scam. I'm upset at the medical establishment for pushing this crap.

When a forum of drug afficianados is more tuned in than a company that can pay for human studies, that's a pretty morbid scene.
I got a letter the other day (from Milwaukee of all places, not sure how anyone in Milwaukee knows me, but anyway) and it was about joining a lawsuit against the makers of suboxone. lol

I never paid full price for it back when I was on brand name, so I doubt I'd get any compensation or anything. I think it had to do with the patent and how they wouldn't let people formulate generics for the longest time. Forcing people to pay 1,000 a month for 30 strips. I was glad to see them getting some pushback for it finally.

But it's still not enough IMO.

Well.. the first pass effect has to be taken into account.

Even IV, the naloxone does nothing, as buprenorphine has a higher affinity for the receptor. The naloxone is in there most likely just so they could patent a unique medication.
Wait, what?? I can't believe I never knew this until now!!!! Wtaf! This has actually blown my mind, not only because it's so obvious and I'd just never thought of it, but also because that is some grade A fucked up bigpharma corporate bullshit right there. Wow......what a fucking waste of money and resources and time and energy.

While buprenorphine has higher affinity for the mu receptors, I think naloxone is transported into the brain faster. Certainly I know of people who injected subs (injecting pills is a bad idea). They would feel sick for 5 minutes and then OK. I think the affinity values are very close and so the naloxone will make some people feel sick briefly.

I cannot speak for others but buprenorphine caused me huge anxiety. I mean TERRIBLE anxiety.

I told the pharmacist.... who suggested that I took a couple of codeine before bedtime. Crazy.

I don't need to tell you that getting hooked on medicines designed to help opioid dependence can end very badly. I mean, if you do, what's the treatment.

When used in an appropriate manner, buprenorphine can be a very helpful medicine but I did not see an 'fun' in it's action.

at

at the rightlevel combining agonists and antagonists is super helpful. ULDN is super useful for opioid addiciton.

I'm surprised more people here didn't fall for that naloxone crap the pamphlet says. It's true that the naloxone makes basically no difference in any situation that could arise from taking buprenorphine alone with the misunderstood and vast range of effects it can cause.

I would be fascinated to read the studies that resulted in Suboxone being licenced. I suspect that it will NOT have been tried on anyone who was actually opioid dependant so their would be no way of knowing if it worked.

But it would take a LOT of buprenorphine to fill 100% of the receptors so their will be some that naloxone could still bind to.