• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Possible to get off Suboxone with kratom?

Pillsbury_Dope_Boy

Bluelighter
Is it possible to use kratom to detox from suboxone?

I am working and only get two days off per week (sometimes only one: Sunday). Is it possible to detox off Suboxone?

I am currently on 2mg per day. That's it.

I also have Imodium available.

I need to be able to detox and not have to miss work, because if I do that I'll lose my job, which is actually paying for my health insurance right now.

People have used many ways. The thing is to get off an opiate you need to get off chemicals that effect opiate receptors. So if your looking to get off a certain chemical to avoid a possible negative life situation and don't mind being dependent on a substitute then these could help. suboxone has a strong affinity so weaker affinities won't do well at overpowering it. Check for dosage before switching.

It's possible. How long have you been on the subs?

Why do you want to jump at 2 mgs instead of tapering down to .05 mgs instead?

Tired of being on it?

I'd rather have more than kratom and Imodium if I was going to do it though. Maybe a little gabapentin and a low dose benzo to get you over the rough spots. Depending on how long you have been on subs it could be doable but you're gonna have to commit to it and stay strong.

Buprenorphine WD can get pretty intense if you have been on it for awhile. I would want to taper lower before I jumped.

If all you have is kratom and imodium .......dose high ( 7 or 8 grams at a time ) and the imodium I'm not sure about. I have never used it except for its intended purpose for the runs ( 2 mgs ). Good luck !!

I have used it to help all manner of opioid withdrawal, including Suboxone. It does help but it's not a magic bullet, and you might have to take a larger dose of kratom than usual to diminish the withdrawal.

I was maintaining on kratom for 6 years, it helped me stay off heroin, so it should definitely help you at least a little bit, as long as you have some quality kratom.

@deficiT ...did I just read a post just like this one where you commented? Think there might be 2 open from the same member.

Jumping from 2mg of bupe to kratom will not be difficult. You may feel not 100% for the first few days as the bupe lingers around and again when it totally clears your system. You should be fully stabilized within a week. You will be able to work no problem.

Some differences of note:

1. Kratom has an anti-depressant effect and does a lot of things in addition to its opioid effect. Most people seem to tolerate them well and don't notice them during use. However, when you quit kratom you may feel off for the first week or so even when you replace it with another opioid. I find going from kratom TO bupe to be harder than the other way around because of this. Kratom makes me feel more off baseline than bupe by itself. These effects are hard to describe so I'll leave it at it's like a mild difference from the norm.

2. Kratom requires constant dosing throughout the day for me. You will fall into the feeling of withdrawal more often than you do with a long acting drug like bupe or methadone. Taking a dose before bed and waking up 8 hours later to find yourself in the start of mild withdrawal is going to be an every morning thing. This constant dosing can lead to pushing the dose up quickly. It's harder to stick to taking the same dose everyday than it is with bupe. The tendency to chase the dragon is there.

3. Kratom will have more negative effects on your body. It pulls water out of you like coffee or tea. You need to drink more water if you're using it daily. You'll want to make sure you allow yourself time to poop everyday because you're putting so much plant material into your system. It will turn into a rock if you neglect doing these things. Your urine can turn worrying shades of brown to if you dehydrate yourself. Your skin will dry out quickly if you're just drinking soda all day. You need to be more aware of what the drug is doing to your body. It's manageable but it's there.

4. I find that Kratom is not as tolerable to mixing with alcohol as bupe. In fact, the combination is so awful I refuse to do it any longer. With bupe I can enjoy a few glasses of Scotch or shots of bourbon with my meals. With kratom it'll just lead to a massive hangover and a bad time (it's a bad drunk). I'm also more mindful of other substances like phenibut with kratom than I am with bupe.

5. I find jumping from Kratom to sober to be harder than going from bupe to sober if I get the bupe down to 0.5-0.25mg daily dosing. It's harder for me to slowly decrease kratom usage than it is to decrease bupe usage. A jump from kratom -> bupe -> sober allows me time to adjust for the non-opioid effects of kratom to wear off before doing away with the opioid part of it.

6. When comparing costs in my local area for both substances bupe is cheaper for long term use.

7. If you smoke tobacco or vape nicotine the tendency to chain smoke is higher with kratom than it is with bupe in my experience.

This is my big long way of telling you that you shouldn't expect to many problems.

Last edited: