• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

POSSIBLE NEW SEDATIVES FOUND, please read

Hutch1

Greenlighter
Hey all, I recently found a journal article stating that several new anticonvulsants have possibly been synthesized from phthalazinedione and pthalazine which is VERY SIGNIFICANT due to their structural similarity with METHAQUALONE. In the article which can be found here, none of the chemicals that were discovered are actually listed and I was wondering if any more experienced chemists could possibly point out what these new compounds could be. I have always been fascinated with first generation sedatives and would love to see discussion on the topic.

Thanks!

none of the chemicals that were discovered are actually listed

They're listed. Not as in "controlled substance", but they do describe the compounds they synthesized...

structural similarity with METHAQUALONE

I fail to see any, and knowing what I know about methaqualone SAR, you can't fudge too much of the molecule before it quickly becomes toxic or inactive (even +1 methyl group is too much! see: etaqualone = mediocre crap, methylmethaqualone = convulsant)

f86825b959.png

Also, anticonvulsant does not mean "euphoric sedative", not by a large margin.

Last edited:
They're listed. Not as in "controlled substance", but they do describe the compounds they synthesized...

I fail to see any, and knowing what I know about methaqualone SAR, you can't fudge too much of the molecule before it quickly becomes toxic or inactive (even +1 methyl group is too much! see: etaqualone = mediocre crap, methylmethaqualone = convulsant)

f86825b959.png

Also, anticonvulsant does not mean "euphoric sedative", not by a large margin.

I wasnt able to continue in the article without purchasing it, maybe I overlooked a button I will look again. Yes I know that not all of them (and quite possibly none) will be euphoric sedatives. I was basing my similarities with methaqualone based on the structural similarities of the core molecules, by which a derivative with sedative hypnotic properties can LIKELY be produced.

It's still a bit of a leap to make that comparison: if anything the structure reminds me a lot more of luminol.
150px-Luminol.svg.png

Maybe it will make your pee glow?

P.S., for getting full texts of papers, put the DOI in here: http://sci-hub.bz/

It's still a bit of a leap to make that comparison: if anything the structure reminds me a lot more of luminol.
150px-Luminol.svg.png

Maybe it will make your pee glow?

P.S., for getting full texts of papers, put the DOI in here: http://sci-hub.bz/

Yea actually luminol is based off of this molecule.