• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible new route to amphetamine (Methylation of phenethylamines into amphetamines?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooMaximum

Greenlighter
Would be hypothetically possible to convert phenethylamine (C8H11N) into amphetamine (A.K.A. alpha-methylphenethylamine, C9H13N) by methylation of the alpha position on the ethyl structure?

If this were indeed possible, would it be possible for all phenethylamines to be methylated into their corresponding amphetamines? For instance, 4-Methylphenethylamine into the designer drug 4-Methylamphetamine?

It seems to me all this would take is the addition of the "squiggly line" methyl group. The problem is, I don't know of any method of methylation that only methylates a specific place on the molecule...

Any answers would be greatly appreciated! If this works, I would love to know how. Again, totally hypothetical! =D

Phenethylamine:

2mds94w.png

Amphetamine:

wkh9w6.png

Synthesis discussion is not allowed on bluelight.

That said, I am going to hypocritically make a statement.

If alpha-methylation of phenethylamine was easy or even possible, you would have heard of it by now. I assure you, you are not the first to see this potential.

The "squiggly line" refers to the direction that the methyl group is in, a squiggly line refers to either levorotary or dextrorotary. If you were trying to synth speed, you would prolly want dextrorotary amphetamine.

No.
But if it were, you wouldn't be able to discuss it here.

ebola

Status
Not open for further replies.