• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Health Possible long and short term effects of shrooms on someone with past history of psychosis?

arachnidsgrip

Greenlighter
Hi everyone! I was wondering about the possible short and long-term effects of shrooms on someone who has had previous psychotic episodes (but *not* schizophrenia) involving delusions and sensory hallucinations related primarily to anxiety. What I found doing some research mostly underlined the risk of triggering a psychotic episode or schizophrenia if there is family history of it, but nothing on the possible impact on someone who has already experienced episodes who is not schizophrenic.
Besides the possibility of triggering a psychotic episode during the trip (that seems like an obvious risk), I'm also wondering about other possible risks long and short term, especially the possibility of shrooms worsening the intensity and/or frequency of the psychotic episodes afterwards. I haven't been able to find literature on that last bit at all for non-schizophrenics.
Finally I'm wondering if taking a dose lower than what would usually be used for the person's weight would be at all helpful in mitigating any potential effects that exacerbate the psychotic condition, and if having a second-generation antipsychotic or a benzo on hand would be advisable if a person with past psychosis were to insist on trying shrooms.
If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Have you resolved the anxiety?

Set and setting says it all...

Well, how long is it since the person had the psychosis? What does he think the cause of the psychosis was? If he was smoking 5 grams of crystal meth at the time he was "psychotic" then I'd say the odds on it recurring under mushrooms to be vanishingly small. If you have absolutely no idea what causes your psychosis and it just happens at any time you feel anxiety then that's a different thing, My advice is if you want to do it start low dose and build up as you feel comfortable.

I have had psychosis from chronic mushroom/tryptamine use by themselves. The official diagnosis after 9 months was drug induced schizophrenia, although I did make a near complete recovery after 1.5-2 years. Every time I do certain drugs after recovering I can feel symptoms creeping back, it's dangerous.

It really depends on what caused your previous psychosis @arachnidsgrip . Drugs? Serotonergic drugs? How long was your psychosis? Are you medicated? There are many factors here.

I will say that after recovering from my schizophrenia I was able to trip again and did so a few dozen more times, however my symptoms did start coming back so I had to stop. I have an anomaly in my 5-Ht system which is likely permanent.

I really can't say it's the smartest thing to do, using tryptamines after having psychosis. It is certainly playing with fire and asking for trouble, but it's also possible you will be fine if played safe and do it only once.

I wouldn't do it without antipsychotics and benzos on hand in case things go bad.

Are you comfortable with psychedelics in the first place? I would only attempt this if you are experienced and/or it has been a long time since the psychosis, especially if you are prone to anxiety. Dose low, not high.

Last edited:
If you have a history of psychosis/psychotic episodes, 9 times out of 10 psychedelics will do more harm than good. Short-term risks include triggering an episode, long-term risks include permanently worsening your psychosis - possibly to the point of schizophrenia. Some schizophrenic folks have seen improvements to their mental health from low-moderate doses of psychedelics. But the vast majority have found it to be very detrimental and many regret ever trying psychedelics.

I wouldn't risk it personally.