• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Possible AIRBNB Ripoff - Any Advice Appreciated ??? Have a look and decide...

Munchkoala

Ex-Bluelighter
So, I'm trying to secure a luxury apartment in Sydney. I have a feeling that this guy is full of shit and it may be a scam.

Initially the listing was through eezirent. The rent is $500. But, the listing disappeared from www.realestate.com.au after I filled out an application and sent it through. I have called eezirent several times and received no calls back, only an SMS informing me of the email of the landlord. The apartment is amazing. But, through emails, I am starting to think this guy is trying to scam $4000, which would include 4 weeks rent and a security bond (of 4 weeks) - which seems unusual for airbnb. It's like he tried to get someone interested though the initial rental post, then took it away, and is now trying to scam cash through airbnb.

Upon further reading, airbnb holds the money for 24 hours, but releases it to the landlord after that time. So, if I agree and pay $4000, the money goes to the person after 24 hours, unless I cancel, then I get shafted then I am left without $4000 and a place to rent.

I don't give a shit about inspecting the property, and I have made this clear, because I have inspected a property at the same address previously. I'm interested in securing an agreement, before Monday.

Have a look at the language used by this guy, and you tell me if you think he is trying to scam me.... (Note I am John and the landlord is David)

Email Chain (From most recent to original message from me at the bottom)

"Hi John,

- the 2 months deposit ( $4000 ) covers the first month of rent plus one month security deposit

- after you will complete the booking online, and after you will deposit the funds through their secure system, one of their agents will get in contact with you in order to visit the apartment, in case there is something that you do not like, you can have a full refund in the same day, but I assure you that the apartment is very beautiful and clean!

- it includes also 2 parking places
- internet, foxtel included

- like mentioned several times a viewing before booking is not possible since I'm not there, but AirBnb is guaranteeing the whole transaction between us. In case something gets damaged, you can deduct the amount from the rental price, of course with a bill attached.

The contract will be very flexible so you can renew it every 6 or 12 months without modifying the price.
I'm able to create the listing today or tomorrow, so if you're still interested please let me know.

You can have a contact directly with me, for further details you can reach: ZZZZ

Thanks a lot!

David

Hi David,

I'm really hoping to hear back from you soon. I have been trying to organise securing this apartment all week, and it is important for me to do so.

The apartment is perfect and I am sure I want to take it at $2000 per month or $500 per week. I have bond ready to go. I hope to get this apartment for the long term, perhaps 4 years as you have suggested. I think an initial 6 month lease period would be the best option and then we could extend or increase it after the first six months. Let me know if you think this is suitable.

Please let me know how I can secure this apartment to move in as soon as possible. I am hoping to do so by this weekend. I'm ready to move now.

I have submitted my application over the weekend, but I have still not been able to sign a lease and get access in anyway. It's important for me to do so before Monday, as I start a new work contract then.

I'm afraid that I will not be able to move in by Monday, and I may have to explore other options if that is the case.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

John

Hi David,

I have read that page several times, but just so I get the gist... Why have I submitted an application to Eezirent, and not heard anything back from them? If I understand, I should be able to sign a six month lease through eezirent, which would have been my aim.

However, you wish to now do this through airbnb in the meantime. How long would you like this arrangement to go on?

There is not much discussion of the deposit or two months that you mention. But, I assume the one month is a bond of sorts, and the other month is the month rent in advance?

I'm just trying to understand what your proposition is. Can you explain it some more?

How would I pick up the key/card? As mentioned, I would like to do this by the weekend, which leaves tomorrow to get it sorted.

So, I pay two months rent, and that includes bond and one month rent right?

If so, let's go ahead and make the arrangement. Is there a contract? I work in Project management and contracts are paramount. But, if there is not one, would it not leave me at risk by paying $4000 to a site I have never used, without there being an contract signed by each of us?

Please explain. Why are we not using eezirent for this process?

Of course, I want to lease this property, I'm just wanting to confirm the arrangement.

Please get back to me ASAP.

Alternatively, you can phone me right now on ZZZ

Thanks

John

Hi John,

A viewing is actually not possible since I'm abroad, but using Airbnb system both parties are fully protected, because they will hold the funds until you will sign the rental agreement...of course their fees will be covered by me. In order to get more info on how it works, please access the following link: https://www.airbnb.com/help/getting-started/how-it-works

AirBnb requests a 2 months deposit, and everything is included in the monthly price.

If everything sounds good to you, I'll be able to publish the flat on their website so you can book it at your convenience.

Thanks a lot and have a lovely day!

David

Hi David,

Yes everything sounds great. As soon as I saw this apartment, I thought it was perfect for me. I would need to move in this week some time, or over the weekend if possible?

I am looking at renting long term, possibly up to four years, as I start a new work contract on Monday - this is why I need to move in before then. A six month lease to start off with could be a good option, if that is suitable to you?

Please get back to me promptly, as I need to secure a place by this weekend, if you are able to sort this out.

How would we go about using airbnb?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

As it can be seen in my add advertised on the web, the apartment is located in : Harrington Street, The Rocks, Sydney NSW 2000, fully furnished, 2 bedroom, including a DVD player, plasma TV, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher. Floor to ceiling windows provide a 180 degree city panorama encompassing westerly harbour views, the Harbour Bridge and Circular Quay. Access to a tennis court, swimming pool, gym and secure underground car parking is also available.. The apartment is very clean as you can see from the following pictures: ()()()()()()

I'm looking for someone to inhabit it as soon as possible, and the main reason is that I just signed a new working contract for the next 4 years, and surely I'm forced to live downtown Athens, Greece. The rental agreement must be made for at least 3 months - up to four years. The monthly rental price is $2000 which includes all the utilities and the maintenance of the building.
The problem is that I am out of Sydney and I can not show it to you personally, but hopefully we can find out a viable and safe solution like www.airbnb.com - you can also search further details on their website:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/getting-started/how-it-works

If everything sounds good to you, please let me know so we can discuss further details.

P.S. Please tell me if this is what you're looking for and just let me know if you're really interested. Small pets are also welcome!

Thanks a lot,

David

Hi David,

I have submitted an application for the property at Harrington street the rocks. Ezirent have only given me your email, so it's hard to contact you.

I'm interested in beginning renting this week. Please get back to me on ZZZ.

Thanks

John

Sent from my iPhone"

Last edited:
So, I continued with this exchange of emails, with the thought in my mind that this guy is trying to scam $4000. It has been quite fun, actually. He didn't respond any further. It must have been quite annoying having someone that he thought he could get $4000 out of, but then start worrying as I requested rental agreements.

In the meantime, I secured an apartment at Darling Harbour and I have moved into it.

I thought I'd post this and keep it up, so fellow bluelighters can have a look at this scam and be warned about people trying to rip them off.

If you're interested, read on.

Cheers.

Hi David,

You have not responded.

I'm confused. Why have you not called me to secure this apartment?

I have said I'm interested in paying $4000 to secure the apartment for the first month.

Yet, you are not responding to me now.

Why?

John

David,

I need to rent this property.

Please advertise it on airbnb now so I can pay you the $4000.

I really need to move in before Monday.

Please help me to secure the apartment by then.

Thanks,

John

David,

Money is held by airbnb for 24 hours. One of their agents may or may not contact me in that time. If I pay that money then I am at risk of losing $4000.

I have viewed apartments at this property before. I am not interested in viewing the apartment. Merely securing a contract.

Have you had any contact with eezirent?

I tried calling the phone number at it did not work.

Can you send me a draft version of the contract now?

What number is the apartment?

I will pay the money and move in there tomorrow if possible. I would like a contract draft of possible. I'll contact eezirent tomorrow again to find out what is happening here.

As I have mentioned, I will pay the money and move in tomorrow if possible.

Just send me the details of the agent or eezirent representative and I will be sure to pay the money you have requested.

You can create the listing now if you like?

What happened to the original realestate.com advertisement? It seems to have been deleted.

Please call my phone number, as I cannot get through to your phone. See my international number below my name. I am waiting eagerly for your call. Are you currently in Greece?

Thanks

John

Last edited: