Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Possible 4-HO-TMT Prodrug and Psilocybin-Assisted Psychotherapy

Pfafffed

Moderator: PD
Staff member
Is it just me, or are the venture capitalists getting a little bit weird? Aeruginascin is being touted as preventing all "bad trips." :censored:

See below.

Greedy capitalists trying to water down something to sell to some neo fluffy new hippy kid who would't know what the true meaning of psychedelic means til it slapped across the face dragged their soul out their own asshole and annihilated them into the cosmic ether.

I guess somebody didn't tell them the healing comes from the most hardcore dark trips of suffering and overcoming them to restore that inner light and love to your soul.

It's not a trip if there's no 'bad' part. I hate when people talk about 'bad trips'. There's just trips. Clearly you've never tripped if you don't understand that there's more to life than 'good' and 'bad'.

Plus we already have psilacetin, that's about as 'good' as mushies get.

Why do humans feel such a need to create duality where there is only unity?

My "bad trips" were only ever one of two things:

1. WTF is this?!
2.Anxiety

Neither scenario resulting in anything that ruined the day.

Best way to prevent "bad trips" is to be physically and psychologically fit at time of dose and be in an acceptable environment.

...they can't sell that.

Doesn't aerugenescin (or however it's spelled) have trouble crossing the blood brain barrier, what with it being a quaternary ammonium compound?

I would expect any central activity to stem from metabolic demethylation to psilocin.

Doesn't aerugenescin (or however it's spelled) have trouble crossing the blood brain barrier, what with it being a quaternary ammonium compound?

Not only that, but if its 5-HO-analogue ("bufotenidine") is any indication, it might have significant activity as a 5HT3 agonist, causing intense nausea and vomiting.

I would expect any central activity to stem from metabolic demethylation to psilocin.
It isn't believed to cross the BBB, but if there is a relevant centrally active metabolite, they think it's 4-HO-TMT.

aerugenescin (or however it's spelled)

Also, it's spelled "aeruginascin".

The name comes from the light bluish/greenish colour that stems of Inocybe aeruginascens take on over time, "aeruginascens" loosely translating to "turning to copper rust" (think Statue of Liberty).

FWIW this is what the company is saying on LinkedIn in response to some of the press about their research in this arena:

"...I think the article that James Keim posted (and other related stories) may have sensationalized CaaMTech's work a little bit. Our intent was to publish the work in the peer reviewed literature before making any statements. I obviously didn't make that clear enough when trying to help reporters understand the science. In any event, yes, CaaMTech has been studying the "minor" (non-psilocybin) components of magic mushrooms; and, yes, we are interested in aeruginascin (and its primary metabolite). The only existing reports suggest that it may facilitate a positive experience; and our data contradict universally held beliefs about its pharmacology. We found that interesting, so we're checking it out."

"We can't take credit for finding the mushroom or even figuring out that it was "more 'light'" as you say. I would credit Jensen or Gartz with that discovery. (Paul Stamets would know better.) CaaMTech has been working to develop a better understanding of some particular compounds in (at least) that mushroom. Aeruginascin is one of them. But it's the prodrug (like psilocybin) not the active metabolite (like psilocin). Also, we are not alone. Several others have been doing great work to improve our understanding of the "minor" compounds in magic mushrooms. For example, Alexander Sherwood, Adam Halberstadt et al. just published a great paper, which I will link here. Also, check out some of the recent work from Dirk Hoffmeister's group. Hopefully, everyone's excitement for the "psychedelic gold rush" will lead to increased funding for these and other scientists. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.9b01061"

Thanks for sharing that. That's a lot less sensational

All I wonder, is this available and worth trying?

Neither Cayman, Aldrich nor Alfa Aesar supply 4-PO-TMT in any form. If legit vendors such as them don't stock it, I doubt any grey/black market RC vendors will. Looks like you'd need to do an extraction or synthesis yourself.

Worth trying? Everything is probably worth trying once. I would expect that aeruginascin would be inactive on its own at receptors (quaternary amines don't make it past the BBB) but it could be produce a trip nonetheless if it acts as a prodrug to psilocin/psilocybin. All that would be needed would be some process that would demethylate the nitrogen. (If my memory serves, similar things happen with morphine N-oxide: the quaternary N-oxide is reduced back to morphine, giving morphine N-oxide about 10% the strength of normal M.)