• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Poppy tea withdrawel

MikeMercury

Bluelighter
After 12 years I'm almost off Poppy Tea, I didn't use it heavily . I tapered for 6 months .
But now, at the last 10 yards, I cannot fully stop. Withdrawals have been bad but now their just a
bad nuisance but they don't seem to be leaving anytime soon. I have one, nightly incident where there's a bucking bronco inside me and the only thing that gives peace and sleep is a very small amount of poppy tea. During the day withdrawals make me dizzy and extreme fatigue plus hot flushes but not all the time. Life is normal apart from these ailments. They are gradually fading ...I think...but not going.
my question is am I sabotaging my withdrawal by using a small amount most evenings for sleep etc.
it really is a tiny amount ...a few codeine work as well.
is the only way complete stopping or should I still be able to taper to zero ? After 12 years Im assuming I will need a long long taper ...am I wrong guessing at another 3-4 months ?

I would find the time and just CT the rest of the way off. 1 year or 12, it will take about a month or two to feel back to normal. What I would do is CT, find some gabapentin or pregabalin and only use it every few days for relief. But only every few days and then stop that too.

Back in 2000 I kicked a several year large habit of 12 gigs in the morning and 12 large gigs at night. Went CT on a specific planned date. I had acute withdrawal for a week to 10 days and muscled my way back to energy and sleep in the next month. But by 2 months off I was 100% like it never happened. I can say it was the most dramatic withdrawal I ever had. But hang on to the fact the body can and does balance out afterwards. I felt great that whole Summer. No PAWS although I come from a time where that term did not exist thankfully. I always felt great after the physical part of a kick wore off.

But you need the time and place to do this. Throw yourself in a 5 day detox for a head start. Or find some time at home to power through. But no you will not be sick for months if you CT.

Thank you Jackato for a quick reply . I'm afraid my description of my situation is pretty clumsy as describing symptoms is so vague.
I think unlike you, I'm too scared of CT and trying to do it painlessly . How I wish I could CT like you but I'm retired and have other health issues .
The "elastic band" around forehead and leaving brain behind, the dizyness and fatigue comes and goes but always returns. Plus the nightly incident .
im just wondering that after 12 years it's deeply embedded in my system and will not go away anytime soon. Or am I wrong ? Im a worrier and wittler and constantly monitor symptoms. I'll give it another couple of weeks and see if there's any improvment. Thanks for your time and advice , I greatly appreciate it!

Im trying to stop taking Loperamide, was taking large amounts daily the past 10yrs. I recently tried to quit CT from 140mg+ daily using only Clonidine, I lasted 5 days before I had to give in and start taking it again. But I realized I was able to lower the dose to only 70mg/day. Then I got a script for Gabapentin and started taking Kratom. I was able to rapidly taper from 70mg down to nothing. Today is the first day I haven't taken any and feel ok. I also recently got a script for Wellbutrin to help with depression that has set in for some reason.

I do have trouble sleeping, tossing and turning restless. But no rls/tingles.

I have no idea how ill feel tomorrow, and now I have to somehow stop taking these other meds. Clonidine is easy to stop, Gabapentin should be easy since I wasn't taking a lot, the Kratom may give me a little trouble.

been on pharma grade pods ten years...two jars(500ml each) a day finely crushed pods.....that's mean that i boiled my dose in a cauldron.....on top of that extremely pure brown H(90-2000 year was that)......quit cold turkey in comunity in Naples,Italy......they did't gave even aspirin back then......absolute HELL.....insomnia-40 days without a minute sleep.....in the end start to hallucinate......it took me three months to feel human again........no doubt that was hardest thing i have ever done....and i have been addicted and withdrawn from all stuff available in my place......around 25 years hooked on something.....around fives years remissions in between......fuck this......absolute punishment

Last edited:
After 12 years I'm almost off Poppy Tea, I didn't use it heavily . I tapered for 6 months .
But now, at the last 10 yards, I cannot fully stop. Withdrawals have been bad but now their just a
bad nuisance but they don't seem to be leaving anytime soon. I have one, nightly incident where there's a bucking bronco inside me and the only thing that gives peace and sleep is a very small amount of poppy tea. During the day withdrawals make me dizzy and extreme fatigue plus hot flushes but not all the time. Life is normal apart from these ailments. They are gradually fading ...I think...but not going.
my question is am I sabotaging my withdrawal by using a small amount most evenings for sleep etc.
it really is a tiny amount ...a few codeine work as well.
is the only way complete stopping or should I still be able to taper to zero ? After 12 years Im assuming I will need a long long taper ...am I wrong guessing at another 3-4 months ?
sounds to me like you don't fully want to stop, but what you're doing now is neither one thing or the other and sounds like pure torture to me because yeah - you are sabotaging the withdrawal

On or off really, one or the other. Either take a dose you can maintain on or or jump off - both sound better than the present scenario with the latter option being perhaps optimal - all the best